1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately, that's true. :p

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So haven't posted here in a WHILE. :p

Anyway I was wondering, you know how they have those CPU ducts on cases for the stock intel coolers, why don't we try the same?

Just grab duct tape and take the vga vents and make a connection with the vga fan and do he same thing where the CPU is concerned.

I want someone else to try it because it's too much work for me lol. Post how your temps are doing.

-Abuzar

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The problem with that system is that it isolates a fan of the PC to a specific component, which means you MUST have additional fans or risk other components such as hard disks and your chipset overheating due to extreme case temperatures.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Not really, because you can gave two ducts connecting only the CPU and VGA coolers. That way your intake fans and and case air flow are more or less untouched.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

?
    Explain...
    Ducts have to send airflow to the exhaust fans at the back. If you directly connect the CPU and VGA fans together, the heat can't go anywhere, except sit in the duct getting hotter and hotter. I've never seen a duct do anything but direct airflow from one component straight to an exhaust fan. You'd need three exhaust fans if you were to duct both the cpu and vga to a fan, unless you ducted both to the same fan, which would require a high speed (and noisy) fan to achieve the same result you could get before without needing the duct in the first place.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That's why my cooling works so well! It's 72F in here right now and my CPU temp is reading 21-22C (right at 72F) and the MB reads 32C. I have no ducts other than the side air vent for the video card. It's all a matter of controlling the airflow and works better than any static CPU vent can. There's enough airflow that my HSF is barely turning at 600-700 rpm. The key to it all is the 80mm Silverstone that replaced the CPU air duct on the side cover as it's about half the cfm of the rear 120mm and helps direct the air flowing through the case depending on how fast you spin the fan! 1400 rpm does it for the rear fan and 1300 for the side 80 so it's not only cool, it's quiet as well. Seeing the difference this set up makes compared to the window case for the D-940, which has no static vent for the video card, but uses the same case fans, I won't be running out and buying any more window cases unless I can find one that has a static air vent (some do) and a CPU air duct that can be replaced by an 80mm fan.

My setup has worked remarkably well with the last two rigs I've had in this case and should do just as well with the E6750 in place of the E4300. I don't even know if the E6750 is going to work in this MB because GigaByte shows no support for any 1333 fsb chips. Find out Wednesday! If it doesn't I'll have to replace the MB with a P35-DS3l!

Stay Tuned!

Clockin On,
    theone :>)

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Like I said before I'm bad at getting ideas across. I mean connect the CPU duct to the cpu cooler and the VGA vents to the VGA cooler.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    The way I control my airflow essentially does the same thing but without creating anything that gets in the way of the airflow. In other words no physical ducts to block anything so all the air is constantly moving freely! The trick is to keep all other heat away from the CPU cooler so that it's exhausts out the back and side. Judging by my temps and my low fan speeds, I would say that I've been wildly successful at it!

Best Regards,

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't use any ducts, any funnels, nothing, and my fan speeds are lower than anybody else I know (intake and rear 120mm at 450rpm, side 120mm at 650rpm, CPU 120mm at 600rpm, bottom 80mm at 850rpm. My system runs perfectly cool (sub 45C CPU and sub 70C GPU temperatures at max load for several hours) and is remarkably quiet. The only fan I can't control is the PSU one which is 1000rpm when I'm doing most things (HD films, CPU load tests etc) and 1600rpm when I'm playing games. It's also the only fan that's audible! Are you surprised? :D
    The secret? Thermalright coolers, and a case with plenty of 120mm fan slots. There's no magic, just the right brands and putting fans the right way round.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'll bet you could lower your temps 10-15C if you upped the fan speeds! Sub 45c is not near low enough for me! I'm idling at sub 30C right now at 27-28C! I can make it quieter, but at the expense of heat! Since I'm from the old school that says "Heat is the enemy", I run mine as cool as I can get it! My MB never go's over 42C and then only when running OCCT!

BTW! The E6750 should work in this MB as I've been doing some checking on line and if you have my v1.33, it's no problem! Besides, the P35-DS3L is only $90 and it's all that I would need. I just want to see how the 965P does with it and compare it to the P35-DS3L when I can get it!

Clockin On,

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Read my post again, Russ. That's after hours of gaming. I can idle in the thirties fine.
    Besides, why should I? I do see heat as something that should be avoided at all costs, but only up to a point, there comes a time when I think 'those temperatures are fine, why go further?' and that's where I'm at now.

12. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Ok, I made my own thread about this but got no reply so I decided to come to the 'official' cooling thread. Does anyone truly know the correct Tjunction value for an Intel e6750 processor? I don't want to be thinking my cpu is 15 degrees hotter/cooler than it really is. I'm currently assuming it is 100C, as most things I have read state this. This is rather a worry. I am currently using the stock HSF setup, in an Antec nine hundred case with 4 12cm fans, the 20cm fan and a vantec spectrum fan card with 2x9cm on it. Everything is on max, including CPU fan. I have a digital thermometer on in the tray on my case, it says 28.1 degrees. All four case sensors I have indicate system temp is about room temp plus a degree or so. My processor is completely stock voltage and fsb, and I only recently reseated the hsf with a nice layer of thermal paste.. but my temps are imo way too hot, especially at load. Screenshot links follow:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3986/idletemptc9.jpg
    http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5919/loadtempui5.jpg

Good news is my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and some AS5 is in the mail, but I still want to know why the temps are like this at the moment.

Thanks heaps.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Tjunction for core 2 duos varies depending on which version they are. The E4300s for example, some revisions have 85 and others 100. Look it up for your appropriate stepping.
    Your cooling setup is ridiculously overpowered for your needs, but your heatsink is so poor (the stock heatsink is rubbish) that is why your temps are high. When you get the Thermalright all will be well, I guarantee it. Oh, and you can down your case fan speeds by pretty much all of it as well.

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

well...cooling sure is good but is water cooling always better than air cooling?...i don't really agree with that tho...

i have a problem...my current computer doesn't have any fan except the cpu fan...sometime when i feel my hdd or graphics card it's damn hot...and my cpu reaches 60c when i'm playing games...i dont have enough money to buy a new case...so what i'm trying to ask is, is it necessary to buy a fan for hdd/gpu or rather buy a new cpu fan...

when gaming sometimes it reboots or freezes i think its because of the cpu temp...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Typically if the temperature's excessive it should shut down. I've been over this with you before, I think it's the motherboard. Better CPU cooling certainly wouldn't do any harm though.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rubixcube,
    As it happens, I also run an E6750. I don't know what motherboard you have yours in but mine is in a GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R and was in a GA-965P-DS3 before that. With the 965P Core-Temp would reset the computer the minute you tried to run the program. No reset of the bios, but rather just like you hit the re-set button. I never tried it on the P-35. Sammorris has the P35C version of the DS3R and I believe he has the same problem with Core-Temp re-setting the computer.

I use Everest and the temps are spot on in agreement with the MB set-up. I also show temps at idle of just over room temp on the CPU and I get to 55C max when running Orthos. Temps in the mid 40s while encoding with DVDRB/CCE. I find it hard to be able to believe the 70C that you are showing with Core-Temp, as the 6750 is known as a very cool running chip. Unless you have the throttling disabled in the set-up, the normal temp for throttling to kick in would be the 65-70C setting. Since Core-Temp is showing the correct speed for your CPU, I think it's readings are incorrect! Core-Temp seems to have some difficulties with hardware compatibility on some motherboards, and they want you to upgrade (read, buy) to v. 4.20 for the P35 chipset. I'm not wasting my time or money!

Best Regards,

17. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol...yeah...but i dont really think its the mobo...at one stage my computer keep rebooting...AND the hdd shuts down then boots up...so i reformatted my hdd and it was fine...but now it starts again...and my hdd starts to make noise every time i scroll down or opening a program...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    If you have a place on the rear of your case for a fan, I would for sure add one. With no other fan but the CPU cooler, all your heat is going through the power supply, and that's not so good. You have to be able to get the heat out of the case. You can have the best CPU cooler in the world and it won't do much good if the heat gets stuck inside the case or has to be removed by the PS fan. There's just not enough airflow and it heats up the PS as well!

Best Regards,

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@theonejrs my case is open and it still gets hot even on a very cold day...

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If there is no airflow the heat will just stay in the case. Either have your case open and put a huge ass fan aimed at the open side, or add a rear fan and close the case.