1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    Computers usually run hotter with the case open as the only thing that gets any airflow over it is the CPU. Everything else runs a bit hotter! Heat migration from the chipset becomes a problem and makes the CPU run hotter depending on the location of the chipset. On my old 965-P the Freezer 7 Pro overhung part of the Northbridge heat sink, and it raised the CPU temp more than 10C. Adding a 6 cfm 40mm fan to the heatsink blowing down solved that and lowered both the CPU and MB temps consideribly! There are so many sources of heat that get almost no ventilation when the side cover is removed. The video Card, memory, hard drive and chipset get almost no cooling at all when the cover is removed! It wasn't much of a problem in the old Athlon and P-III days, but today is a different story. That's why we see such elaborate CPU coolers and high cfm case fans today!

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@abuzar1 will try that...um...with the case closed or open?

@theonejrs oh ok..i see now...well i have a fan on the side cover, it gets very loud when the case is closed thats why i open it up and took the fan out...oh well i'll find a way to cool it down...

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Close it down, and put that side fan in the rear.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    there are a number of fans available that have good airflow and are quiet. I use a Silverstone FM-83 and run it at minimum speed on my case cover. Both come with their own speed control. I basically got it set for best cooling and have left it alone ever since! Sam prefers another brand (I've forgotten the name) but he is much more noise conscious than I am. As I've said in previous posts, I've tailored my air flow to meet the needs of my specific MB, CPU and case. I also have a Silverstone 120mm rear case fan that's capable of 110 cfm but I only run it at 1400 rpm which is about 70 cfm. Between both fans and the stock Cooler Master 80mm intake fan, I'm moving about 100 cfm through the case without considering the PS fan. I have some of the lowest temperatures around on air. It's more than quiet enough for me, and much quieter than the Thermaltake Thunderblade I had before. Since it's only about 3 feet from my ear, it's obviously not too loud. I know I'm 63 but my hearing is excellent, and I have no problem hearing up to 21,000+ cycles!

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

5. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hmm...ok...should the fan be blowing air in or out?...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    On mine, it works best blowing out with both the rear and case cover fans, but I have a huge amount of airflow and a static air vent below the cover fan which cools my video card. They normally only take a minute to switch so try it both ways and use what works best for your case.

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

@theonejrs;

thanks for your help man, but all is good now lol. A little while ago I stuck a thermalright ultra 120 extreme on my CPU and now its OC'd to 3.6ghz and still won't load above 55 :) Oh for the record, I have an Evga 680i A1.

Thanks though!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The other brand is Scythe, just to fill you in. I use them as my case fans and as my CPU fan. At a noise level inaudible even if your head's inside the case, they keep my PC plenty cool enough.

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's space for fans at the back of your case that's not being used. Put some fans there and you'll probably solve your cooling problems.

11. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i only have one fan...which is the side fan...i've put it at the back of the case...this morning and when i got home...its bloody 58c...well its blowing air in tho..

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can't have a fan blowing in at the back lol. You need to have multiple fans, some blowing in, some blowing out.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    Let me put it this way! The case you have is OK for what you have but if you do a new build, plan on a new case. You could also get one of these for now, and it would cool a lot better. Good price too!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
    I can't believe that someone here couldn't find any coolers for socket 939! This one does socket 754, 939 and AM2. For $20 USD, it's a bargain. I put one on my AMD Athlon 64 4000+ and it works great!

I have 1 Stock Cooler Master 80mm intake that draws air from underneath the computer, 1 120mm Silverstone FN-121 on the rear blowing out and 1 Silverstone FM-83 80mm on the cover blowing out, in place of the CPU air vent that comes with it. Just unscrew the vent and replace it with the fan, a 5 minute job! The high CFM at low (1400 & 1300 respectively) does a great job of cooling everything in my case. The lower air vent will firmly hold a sheet of bond paper, so I get good cooling for my video card. I go for more cooling than Sam does but his does make less noise, but runs at higher temps. Still, it's fairly quiet as it sits about 3 feet from my right ear. You can barely hear it from 6 feet away!

This is what I use for a case. This has become standard for all my customer builds, unless they want something different.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119075
    I thought that I would miss having a window, but I've gotten used to it, and with my fan layout, I don't get near as much dust in the works! LOL!! It's also worked very well for three different computers, motherboards and CPUs. The drive door is no tool reversible solid aluminum and takes all of 20-30 seconds to reverse. The door doesn't rattle as it's kept firmly closed by 4 tiny magnets on the door that match the 4 cover screws, so no scratching of the finish and it opens very easily. There are better, fancier cases but this one does a real good job and the price is hard to beat given it's quality!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

This is how it should work. Front blows in, and back blows out. If you don't have a front fan, then just have the back blowing out.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Also I do like the Armor case, and for 70 bucks it's pretty good!

16. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i'm planning to get a Antec Nine Hundred...i just love it...

ok check this out...my cpu is now running 38c idle...2c less than it used to be...the back fan is blowing out...and side fan blowing in...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc239/keymaster/PICT0050.jpg
    http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc239/keymaster/PICT0049-1.jpg

oh i think it get so hot is because the thermal pastes is dry...i need to put some new ones on...

Edit: now its running 36c on idle...it has to be the thermal paste problem...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From the looks of things, that case was built with 92mm fans in mind, so stick a pair of those at the back and you should do alright.

18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i've tried all diff kinds of combo...

first i've put the cpu fan blowing air out at the back and the bigger side fan blowing air in at the side...its pretty cool on idle...when you're not doing anything...like 36c...but i did a test making the cpu running 100%, running virus scanning, listening to music, watching anime, and running a Java program of mine...it increases very slowly but it reaches about 48c+

second i've put both fan at the back and doing the same test...it still reaches 48c+

i can't imagine the temp if i game for the whole day...my cpu is gonna melt...

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

48c is a more than acceptable temp for a CPU at full load. My old Athlon xp used to run fine for hours on end above 60C...

20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

well...i've played crysis for at least an hour...and the temp is only 49c...quite impressive...it usually go up to 55c...thnx for the tips guys...just need for fans and new thermal paste...

oh any thermal paste recommendations?...