1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah...tru tru...well mid-towers are cheaper and good cooling...

wow...i love the setup too...is that the computer the big thing with 6 fans...

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The big thing with 6 fans?
    There are two "big things with 6 fans". The one in the NZXT Lexa is my gaming PC, the one in the Antec 900 is my fileserver. The small box to to the right of the first picture is a dual external hard drive box.

3. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I want to try one of these some day. Talk about good airflow! LOL It comes with 2 250mm fans that are very slow turning.

[​IMG]

It's so ugly, it's cute! This is what it looks like in the dark!

[​IMG]

Russ

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I got me a Thermaltake Armor case, lets see how that works out.

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

damn theonejrs that case sure is bright in the dark...i bet 900 is even brighter...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

GTR: Hehe yeah, that's a PC in there. Now that's some oldskool cool right there. As for my setup, sure. However, I'll need to do some tidying up first!
    Russ: Believe it or not, the Xclio cases aren't actually that great for cooling. The two vast 250mm fans suck air in, and there's only a single 120mm exhaust. I think you can see where this is going...

As for the brightness of the Xclio, I'd say they're about even. I've seen an Xclio case like that, and I of course own a 900. The Xclio case is bright because the area of the illuminated fan is so large.

8. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@sammorris ok...lol...

so...hmm...more exhaust is better than intake...

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, it just needs to balanced. I'm sure you realise that two 250mm fans are going to generate far more air than one 120mm.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I know that but like I said, it so ugly it's cute! Cheaply made too! LOL!! note the rear exhaust with the 80mm holes and the 92 and 120mm mounts with no holes. Put a 120 in that and I bet it would be quite loud! ROFLMAO!

GTR35,
    That is true. Keeps the dust way down too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left the front fan stock Cooler Master, removed the CPU vent and replaced it with a Silverstone 80mm blowing out at about 27 cfm and installed a Silverstone 120mm 110 cfm fan blowing out at the rear at 1400 rpm at 73 cfm. The air vent below the fan draws plenty of airflow into the case cooling the video card.

Here's with the door open! I like this case so much because it has excellent airflow in all the right places and it looks real nice. The solid Aluminum door has tiny magnetic catches that match up to the face screws so no scratches. Here's what my drive bays look like. The Asus DVD rom looks darker, but actually it's a trick of the light. I bought the proper color spray paint and did the Floppy myself because I couldn't find a silver one!

[​IMG]

I wish it had a window, although it's a bit quieter than the window case it replaced. I use these for all my customer builds now. You can also reverse the door in about 20 seconds without tools. You get "0" dust around the drives! No Beards and Eyebrows (Brook Shields)! LOL!! She's gonna kill me for that, but she'll get over it as she's a good friend. Has been for years!

I think it's rather nice looking and it does a great job of cooling the way I have the fans set up and my cooling is second to none!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

less dust is good...means less cleaning...

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I was surprised by the lack of dust when I put the new MB in. Before I reversed the cover fan to blow out I used to have to blow out the Freezer 7 Pro and case every two weeks or so or the temps would start going up. Now it's been months and like I said, there was a very small amount of dust. The air intake is a slot on the bottom and I cut some strips of 1/4 foam like what comes with motherboards and put the foam in front of the intake grill. Stays very clean and you can re-use to foam strip by just washing it. The only thing that I have blowing in is the stock front 80mm fan. This increases the airflow through the side air vent. Really cools well! Ask Sam! I have some of the lowest temps around and it's reasonably quiet too! Not as quiet as Sams but my goal was cooling at all loads! If there is any flaw at all it's the brightness of the blue LEDs for power and hard drive. In the dark they are really bright! LOL!! The case has good quality and is tool-less! At $60 (Newegg) it's not expensive either and comes in black as well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It certainly gets the job done well. That's not to say there aren't more powerful cooling setups out there... Stick a large quiet GPU in there and you'd feel the heat!

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

silent pipe sucks...it gets so bloody hot...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then your case flow is inadequate. You can't expect a fanless graphics card to stay cool without adequate case ventilation.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    It's tailored to my needs and it works. My buddy put his 8800GTX in it and played some games and it cooled real well as the video card heat doesn't go through the CPU Cooler or even stay in the case, but right out the the rear fan. I'm weird as I don't play intense games but I like to watch other people play! LOL!! I remember when I used to game, years ago. Things sure have changed as the Graphics are un-believable! Broke out the "Heat Pipe' and had a ball too! Adam's a cool guy and I had fun! LOL!! He brought over something called "The Orange Box and Supreme commander and I enjoyed watching him and his wife play them. I just can't keep up with everything you have to do! LOL!! Gotten old and slow! made for a real good Saturday though! LOL!! A good time was had by all!

Best Regards,
    Russ :<)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol not even I can keep up with Supreme Commander, but I enjoy to play it, despite my suckiness. I think it's a brilliant game. I love the Orange Box as well, had a lot of fun playing that.
    As for the 8800GTX, it'll pretty much cool itself, I was thinking of a nice quiet GPU such as the fanless one I have.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    First off, you're not 19 and spend all your time playing games! LOL!! I did enjoy watching someone that knew how to play it though!

As far as tyour video card goes I have no idea of what you have. I can't seem to find you specs in your profile! LOL!!

BTW, that CPU cooler of yours may be good but they should provide a better method than those "paper clips they provide! Loved the twist tie! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually Sam is 19 and he spends a lot of his time playing games lol.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    LOL!! I knew that! Sam and I have known each other for a long time!

The guy I was talking about is the sort that will put his computer at risk if he needs something and wants to download it. The computer he has is one I built for him for a Wedding present and he needs to get a job! I've fixed his computer three times now where he's gotten viruses! If a warning pops up and he wants something he go's for it! Not smart! LOL!! I got mad the last time because I checked the AV log and saw what he did! I told him next time, bring money! LOL!! I'm tired of doing it for free!

Best Regards,
    Russ