1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Automatic updates eh, but what if I don't have a genuine windows key...

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I do have unlocker. I'm gonna be busy the next day or two but I will PM you later. side note: does it take forever to load a page here at AD sometimes lately or is it just me?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Let me put it this way! A Centipede could put his sneakers on faster most times! I get so tired of waiting and it doesn't happen anywhere else, just AD! Sometimes I have to close FireFox and start over. It's all the add BS! I've taken to clicking the stop button before I even open my mail and in between screens. Sometimes that helps! LOL!!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,
    [​IMG]

Russ :<)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For me it only hangs trying to load the adverts. God damnit, aren't they rich enough already?

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Or try Adblock Plus.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I don't know if that would work! When you join AD you agree to the Ads!

Russ

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh I didn't read that. Oh well it's not like they'll find out.

8. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@theonejrs and sammorris which 120mm fan you suggest?...Scythe S-Flex and which others...

oh what do you guys think of P182, but "Please Note: This case mounts your motherboard upside down and therefore, has very specific PSU cable length requirements. Antec recomment only the following PSU's:
    Antec TruePower series
    Antec NEO HE series
    Antec Phantom series"

man...are you serious...anyone own this case?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I guess I'll be the first to throw rocks! LOL!! I don't like it! I don't like any case that mounts the PS on the bottom and then depends on the case fans to pull all the air through everything! Heat rises! I do my very best to keep heat in it's proper place, and that's as far away from being drawn into the CPU cooler as possible. I also don't like cases with no side vent. The air drawn in by the exhaust case fans I have cools the video card and the Southbridge and is drawn out the back without ever having to go through the CPU cooler.

As far as 120mm case fans, I stand by my Silverstone FM-121 as long as it's not being used in an aluminum case as Sam seems to get a lot more vibration than I do. Sam and I discovered some very interesting things about fans and vibration the other night when we were doing a little testing out of the case. When I stand a Cooler master 33 cfm fan on the desk it doesn't vibrate at all. If I set it on a piece of 1/4 foam, it buzzes like a bee! Lift it by the top corners with your fingers and it vibrates like crazy I didn't use the Silicon mounts on mine and I'm glad I didn't as it would have buzzed a lot. I have them both firmly screwed to the case and cover and I can put my fingers all around the fan and there's almost no vibration at all. In fact there's almost no vibration with my case at all, no matter where you touch it! To me that's remarkable as there's 7 fans spinning around in there!

Sam likes the Sythe S-Flex and it does the job for him and makes for a near silent PC, but it also runs about 10C hotter than mine, although with his new Thermalright, I believe he has the temps under control. My approach is aimed more at maximum cooling. I can buy 3 Freezer 7 Pros for the cost of one Thermalright! They also perform very well for me. My Silverstones can move more air at a slower speed and I'm more than happy with the noise level with the rear 120 turning 1400 rpm and the side 80mm at 1300. This moves about 100 cfm of air and keeps everything nice and cool My case ventilation is about as perfect as I can get it and it rarely ever gets to 50C on the CPU temp. Even if I run Orthos for 12 hours, it never breaks 60C. Most times it's at 55C while running Orthos. I love the case so much that I now use the same model for all my customer builds. It looks classy and does a good job!

I pretty much agree that Sam's approach and mine differ, but we both wind up with what we want, so there's really no right way. I save money at the expense of a little more noise which is in no way annoying to me, and he gets his silent PC!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
    [​IMG]

Russ :<)

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah...thats a long explanation...so P182 is not that of a good case...which case do you guys recommend...yes i've asked this question many times...i just can't make up my mind...some people say 900 is a good case and some don't so i don't know which one to listen...and i can't make up my mind...i think thats a good case bc it has lots of fans so it must be a good cooler, but some say that its not so good at cooling even if it has many fans installed...

so which one do you guys all agree that it's a good case...

about the fan you guys recommend i can't get it...
    which fan(s) from these site are good...

http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/
    http://www.prophecy.co.za/
    http://pc123.co.za/

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, my friend owns the P182, and he uses a standard Tagan PSU in that, of coure they'd recommend Antec PSUs, the case is an Antec! Trust me you can put pretty much any PSU in there, and I'm certain the Corsair HX 520W is one of them.
    Russ: As nice as the lack of vibration is, even with most of my fans on high, there isn't much vibration from them. The big one for overall case vibration is hard drives. That's where you need to focus on anti-vibration mounting. A lot of people suspend drives on elastic from the screw holes. I would do that, but how then do I soundproof them as well?

"Hotter than yours?" How so? My load temps are 42C, you get lower with your freezer 7?

GTR: what you've got to remember is that Xclio made cases with two 250mm fans, and even one with a 360mm fan. Their cooling is absolute crap, because the fans simply aren't utilised in a decent way. With the 900 that's not so much of a problem, as the input airflow roughly matches the output airflow (If you set all the fans to the same setting, the CFM difference is overcome through the empty mesh at the front). The push-pull fan arrangement for hard drives is useless so don't bother with that, but overall there are many worse cases for cooling. However, simply put, there are lots of cases which will make a far better job of cooling a system with low fan speed. As for the P182 I think it's a brilliant case, but is only really worth recommending for a silent PC build.
    As for the case fans, none of them. The range from all of those shops is poor. Vantec fans scream like hell, Thermaltake ones make quite a racket for how much air they move, and Antec ones are pretty much the same.

12. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ok i've done enough research on CPU and PSU...now it's on case...

-Thermaltake Soprano DX VE7000BWS Chassis - Black - No PSU(I dont see the front fan)

-Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Chassis - Silver - No PSU

-Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case - No PSU

-Thermaltake Armor - No PSU

-Antec Mercury case

-Antec P182

to be honest some towers are sexy they look very nice but the cooling i don't know...it's a knock out round which case(s) will be knock out with out even looking at it...and which one(s) will stay...

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I like to think the NZXT Lexa I use is a bit of both in that regard... It cools well enough to run my system with all the fans at lower speeds than any stock fan you can buy.
    What this one?
    http://images.moditory.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Soprano/13.jpg

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol duh, with most cases you can't see the intake fan from the outside, they're covered with grilles and vents so the case doesn't look stupid. The 900 is the only case I can even think of with an entirely visible front fan.

16. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

but doesn't the cover cover up the fan?...

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not entirely, the vent/grille allows some of the airflow through, but it is indeed impeded.

18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hmm...ok...i'll have to think carefully which one to buy in the future

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't worry too much about the front fan issue. The case I use has no problem cooling, yet not only blocks off the front fan by use of a grille (although there is a downward facing slot) but also a dust filter.

20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

900's only let down is that it doesn't have dust filter