1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, you've got a very well cooled case but even so you must be in a cold area to get those sorts of temps. No stock heatsink is that good.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I agree with the cold bit but the 6750 is a very cool running chip. If it doesn't get hot to begin with, there's not a lot of heat to remove! LOL!! my temps only went up a degree or so from 2.66 to 3.5GHz!

Best regards,
    Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is pretty incredible. I still have no regrets about buying my E4300 though. It's nearly a year old, and is still right up there with the top performing CPUs, and at a cost of only £105, even back then. That's only 6 months after I bought my 4200+ for £225...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The only bad side is there's no sudden burst of heat to tell you you are getting close to destruction, like with the older chips. At 4.0GHz with the 1066 mmeory, even at 1.573v, the temps only went up maybe 1-2C over stock 2.66GHz. Electro-Migration will be a definite problem, especially for newbies!

Russ

5. REAM

REAM Guest

you know its funny. i usually go on two enthusiast forums...

one love gigabyte (guess which one)

and on love ASUS....

it superb as someone that doesnt own either brand ATM (Abit) to see what people say to back what they say.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

just thought I would bring this deal to everybodys attention COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 RC-830-SSN2-GP Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail $110 after a $60 MIR with free shipping and no tax except in CA. I would take this case hands down over an antec 900. I just ordered one.

7. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i gotta agree with that...they all pretend they know a lot of that...and this...but they actually don' even have that...

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,

All I can say is the service I got from Gigabyte was extraordinary. I spent about 15 years of my career in customer Service and GigaByte does business the same way I did. You do what ever you have to do to make the problem right. They lived up to every promise they made and when events came along beyond their control, they handled the situation and had me back up and running in less than 2 days. Best customer Service in the Computer industry I've seen in 20 years of building well over 200 computers! I like the way they do business and I love their product! And yes, I'm the #1 Gigabyte Fanboy on AD! Damn proud of it too! GigaByte Rocks!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
    [​IMG]

theone

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

thats god to know...what about ASUS mobo/product...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Terrible customer service, and Russ will tell you the same. The products may be good (although that wasn't my experience) but Asus customer support won't want to know you.

11. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol...ASUS make good products...just make sure you don't get the one that has a problem...

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So that includes the A8N-SLI SE and the P5N-E SLI does it? :S

13. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah...lol...well...um...not too many problems...

14. REAM

REAM Guest

honestly. i have never had a problem with my asus mobos, and the few i have built for friends. they are very stable when OCed aswell, and i have never needed to RMA, so i cant say about thrie Customer serivce.

and if you replace what i said with gigabyte and Abit, then you have my look on the best three mobo producers.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've never had any problems with asus mobo's either but then again I usually go with one of their flagship or top end models.

the closest one I've gone with that could be considered a low - midstream model was a P4P800 SE at about $100. very popular mobo. all the others have been $200+.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    The P4P800 SE was a great MB! I had one for my 3.0/800 Prescot. After Asus stopped making them, it was such a respected motherboard that they were seen on E-Bay for as high as $400. You are right about the high end Asus motherboards. That's all I used to use before I got into overclocking. bought over 100 of them over the years for customer builds. I only used other brands by request. Didn't have a lot of problems with them either! Maybe 2 or 3 RMAs during that time, usually a DOA! back then you just called them up and they would send you a new one and you had to send the bad board back within 30 days or they would charge your credit card for it. Back then people wanting the latest and greatest swapped high end motherboards like water. A new chipset would come out and I'd have folks calling me up wanting one! I would buy something new for myself every couple of weeks and have it "promised" to someone before I finished the build! Everybody wanted the latest. I would go to a computer Fair and spend $3000 or more every couple of weeks! No Internet or places like Frys in those days! Computer development was fast and furious, and you were only as good as your latest offerings and the people who wanted computers, wanted the very best! Today, it's hard to compete with Wal-Mart! LOL!! All they see is the price! ROFLMAO!! Can anyone here comprehend 1024x768 monitors for upwards of $400, or Video cards with 4MB of ram running them? How about $1300 40MB hard drives, or $400 1x CD-Rom drives?

Today the prices have gotten cheaper, and so have the customers! LOL!!

It's funny today! Most people won't spend the extra money for the more expensive models, even though it cost more 10 or 15 years ago, to build what today we would throw away as junk! Today, you get a lot more for your money, even though the money is worth less! LOL!!

I think GigaByte does very well in the mid to high end and is determined to capture more of that market. I like their idea about making Series motherboards with different options as they did with the P35-DS3s. If you don't need all the "goodies", you buy the L model for about $70. You want Raid, Ultra Durable and 1066 memory compatibility, you get the R model around $130, and so on all the way up to the DS3P at around $160.

Best regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair, Asus have done that too. Remember the A8N-SLI, A8N-SLI SE, A8N-SLI Deluxe, A8N-SLI premium and A8N32-SLI Deluxe?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    True, but the price range wasn't as good, nor was the quality as you went lower in price! Aside from the entry level "L" model, the only difference in the others is the available options. The "R", P35C and the "P" models all have the same goodies in each motherboard. Same support for 1066 memory, Same support for the Quads, Raid, Same support for 45nm and same Ultra-Durable components, so they all perform alike!

Russ

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hey guys...i think i'm having problems with my Abit mobo...well actually i don't know if its the mobo or what...or maybe some other components problem...sometimes i think it's the GPU and sometimes i think its the HDD...so i don't really know...other wise Abit is a good brand...

anyone know which country made Gigabyte

i know ASUS, ACER, ABIT are made by Taiwan...

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I know the Printed Circuit Board itself is made in Taiwan, but where it's assembled I have no idea. All I know is I love mine! Same goes for the GA-965P-DS3 I had before this one, and they were my first ever GigaByte motherboards. I've been using some of their less expensive motherboards with on-board graphics for customer builds with an E4300 and haven't had any problems with the 6 of them I bought so far. They all run at stock speeds and are Business Computers.

Best Regards,
    Russ