1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

go Gigabyte...damn i'm proud!...and GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R is so popular...eveyone on AD have that mobo...

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sorry, I'm running an asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi. I'm pretty proud of it also. the 975X chipset has served me well. very stable and good OC'er

my next build I will most likely go with one variety of an asus P5K or P5E mobo. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I've still got to decide on a cpu too. I already know which cpu hsf, p/s, hdd drive/s, and OS I'm going to use. my Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evo should be here friday. not that I'm in any hurry but I need to start deciding on a cpu, mobo, memory, and GPU. I'm gonna buy a peice at a time (looking fo sales on the items I need) so it probably won't be built for another 3 - 6 months.

a lot of the ppl here that have gigabyte mobos started with a lower end asus mobo (P5B something) and it just didn't perform too well. they could have moved up to a higher end asus mobo to resolve their problems as well. I seriously doubt I will stray away from asus. the top end asus mobos Im looking at aren't cheap ($250+) but just as with my P5W DH Deluxe WiFi mobo, you get what you pay for,

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I couldn't agree more! Asus has some very fine products! What they don't have is good Customer Service, or knowledgeable service techs! They, like all motherboard manufacturers have had some real dogs too. The P5N-E comes easily to mind. Why the earliest ones were so good and the later ones so bad is beyond me. Whatever the problem it reminded me of a Blivet! That's 10 lbs of crap in a 5 pound sack, only in reverse. You looked in the sack and said "Where's the Beef"! LOL!! I personally think they kept trying to make it cheaper and ruined what was once a fine design. The thing that ticked me off the most with Asus was their denial that there were problems with the P5N-E, yet all the while there were pages on end in their forum complaining about the same problems I had with two out of the three motherboards. Poor Gina bought some additional memory, but you can't use the two additional memory slots! I particularly didn't like being told, "well don't use them then"! Not funny or my idea of a solution to the problem! We even offered to upgrade and pay whatever the additional amount would be after the second MB was bad and they told us "No, they can't do that"!

I would also like to remind you that you were the one who put the idea into my head to try something else after the P5N-E fiasco with Gina's computer! LOL!! I followed your advice and then asked Doc his thoughts on it and that's how I became AD's Official Gigabyte Fanboy! I have to blame someone don't I! LOL!! And I'm damn proud of it too! ROFLMAO!! I'm still thanking you for that, as I've had two fine running computers since!

Warmest Regards,
    Russ

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i should correct that...it's most people owns gigabyte mobo and not all...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, a lot of people swear by their high end Asus boards and that's fair enough, but as for me, two bad experiences are enough to put me off a company. I'm not the sort of person that spends £150 on a motherboard, I don't think I should have to just to get something that doesn't fall to pieces.

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

if a mid cost mobo can do so well...why people still buy the best and do the same as the mid one?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    More bells and whistles. I don't have any need for firewire, Native 1600MHz FSB, Dual Lan, Ultra Cool or DDR3 at this time, so the P35-DS3R was my choice as it perfectly suited my needs as everything I needed was there with the DS3R! I didn't want the DS3L because of the lack of Ultra-Durable, better chipset cooling and I wanted Raid!

Gigabyte also makes some fine high end motherboards as well. Like this one!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128068

No drooling on the screen now!

I was reading the reviews and came across the power on, power off in one of the reviews. I'm almost 100% positive that the memory they were using was a higher voltage. Once it booted if he set the memory voltage correctly there should be no problem. This was a common thing a few years back, only if you didn't have low enough voltage memory, it wouldn't post and just gave a black screen. I remember some of the guys on the overclocking thread having to borrow a stick of lower voltage memory just to get into the setup and adjust the voltage. I still keep a spare 256MB stick of 1.8v DDR2 handy just for that purpose! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah you could buy the high-end asus motherboards, but the Gigabyte boards are much cheaper for VERY good performance.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    The highest priced Asus motherboard is about $50 more expensive than the GigaByte I posted to GTR35. Both are extremely good motherboards and excellent choices if you have that kind of money and have the need for all the bells and whistles. I don't have either! LOL!! I'm very pleased and happy with what I got! It fits my needs and works well, which is all the criteria any motherboard needs to meet for me! Someone pointed out to me that I might have to do a bios flash for certain CPUs, like that was a negative thing. Same thing with Asus, Abit, MSi, Foxconn and all the rest, so what's the big deal. Today a bios flash is no big! On most motherboards today a 10 year old could do it! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

damn...i need a cloth...can't stop it...LOL!...oh my thats a awesome board...but don't really need it now...DDR3 are way too expensive...

at Toms "Can Water push Yorkfield to 5 GHz?" bench, they mentioned the X48 chipset...and can't believe it...E6750 is doing quite good...against the quad cores...btu still i'll wait for the new mainstream quad core...more future proof...

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GT, that's just... nasty. Bro if that does that to you then you really need a girl lol.

12. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ha ha ha ha ha...Bingo i do need a girl...i'm still single here...well my parent said i'm not allowed to have a relationship until i'm grade 12 or university...and i'm not planning to have one...YET...

ok does water cooling and fan cooling that big difference?

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well water cooling is more efficient, but you wont really need it. They both are limited to the ambient temp.

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i like to wonder...and i was wondering what will happen if the cpu temp is at 0c...do you think it'll work?

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

People have gotten CPU temps to negative degrees and they work fine.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I would imagine that by using Liquid Nitrogen it would be well below 0c given that Liquid Nitrogen boils at -320.5F/-195.8c. Brother, that's cold! Not to hard to understand why it's so dangerous! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You could use vapour compression as well. I think somebody here at aD does don't they, was it BigDK?
    As for water cooling, whilst it will give you far better temperatures than air cooling (if done right), it's far more costly to do well, and for the vast majority of applications isn't really necessary.

18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

it would be nice to have water cooling...but the case would be much heavier...

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is that really a problem? Do you go to a lot of LAN parties?

20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hell of a lot...i go to OC(Organised Chaos) google it...about 200 people go there...for 3 days...