1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Zalman's a very respectable brand name so Im sure the heatsink component is extremely well made and with a good choice of thermal grease the heatsink would be killer however I would reccomend against this type of fan (as I did with the Crystal Orb fans when they were popular) for the sole reasons that (a) with that kinda of circular design, there will accompany mass quantities of dust and that dust is gonna really collect on the inside of the circular HS and annihilate its efficiency (especially so since its a copper HS and not a AL one which can handle dust) and (b) like with the Orb-fans, it seems circular/cylindrical HSF units often have a deadzone right in the middle so it might be something you might want to look at.

2. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

how do u make a fan intake air?

3. Praetor

Huh? The fan sucks in air because of its design, the blades are cut a certain way and they spin a certain way and woosh we have air .... not sure if that helps tho...

4. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

no what i mean is i have 4 fans that are all blowing out...i wanna make one of them blow air into the computer...

5. Praetor

Oh i see, there are 2 typical places people have intakes:
    - The front fans
    - Sometimes people have their side case fans intake air although i find a side exhaust works better

To make them suck in instead of blowing out, just turn them around! :)

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

In the front and out the back works well for airflow as it keeps fresh air constantly passing through the case.

If you can find a heatsink that uses a "Tip Magnetic Driving" fan the dead spot in the middle will be eliminated since the fan is turned by magnets on the outside of the fan instead of having the shaft in the middle creating a dead spot. I use a Vantec Aeroflow that I've been extremely happy with and they make them for AMD chips as well. It has a big copper slug in the center to suck the heat away from the proc quickly and aluminum fins to get rid of the heat

7. Praetor

Just a curiosity/minor-point -- given that these fans are driven along the circumference instead of the centre wouldnt there be less downward pressure exerted by the reast of the fan when compared to the centre driven ones? :)

8. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

hey Nephilim which cpu cooler do u have?

9. Praetor

10. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

that is which one...that link just brings u too this thread

11. Praetor

Notice the "/2" in "/2/81431" :p -- that means page 2 ... "this" page is "/3/81431" :p

Hehe.

12. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

helo, i was guna buy a new athlonxp 3000+ but i cant afford it rite at the moment, i wanna overclk my athlon 2000+ to a 2200+ or more just using the fsb. wil this be possibel using stock fan ( i dont think it wil), so whats the cheapest cooling i can get to ovaclok to 2200+ or even 2400+ if possible. i am using thourougbred, asrock k7vm4 and the tempreture is normaly round the 30-40 celius when i load it up, but i dont know how hot it gets when its under stress cuz i cant chek it when its under stress
    any help would b appreciated

13. Praetor

Why not? Start a temperature monitor and leave it on "record" and then do your stuff for some time and check or (less ideally), stress the proc and then immediately restart the computer and check the bios temp monitor and add 2-5°C to that value

As to the OCing, if i remember properly, you have the Thoroughbred so you should be able to get XP2100 without changing the cooling -- you can prolly get XP2200 without changing the cooling either if you have air conditioning on and a decent chassis fan setup. Short of that, grab the Thermaltake Volcano12 (loud) Thermaltake Silentboost K7 (quiet) fans both of which are superb. There are links for them in this thread.

14. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

cheers ur rele helpful:)
    if i did buy a volcano fan would i b able to get higher than 2200+

15. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

wats the max fsb it wil go to with stok fan

16. Praetor

You tell me -- no seriously :p There's no way to know until you do it yourself. Its a trial and error thing and isnt safe, easy and simple -- it wouldnt be fun if it was. :)

17. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

how come no1 has watercooling?

18. Praetor

Cuz watercooling is no fun :p lol seriously for me there are four reasons:
    1. I like dark. Ideally i would have nightvision and such so i can move around at night but since that isnt the case i need lights -- i hate white light ... it's so ... plain. But i still need lights to do homework with so what do i do? I get cold cathodes and LED fans :p

2. Watercoolers have a tendency to be ... ugly. The new Zalman and Koolance are decent for looks (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/86320 ) however (a) the new Zalman, for me, doesnt work because i have enogh "extra crap" on my desk and dont want a watercooler and the Koolance doesnt work because i have a pair of cold cathodes on the top of my case and a 92mm fan venting air out the top.

3. I'm too poor (right now) for Thermoelectric Cooling which would be the route i want to take

4. Nothing quite like a system with 25 fans in it -- its powerful and the neighbours know it :p

19. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

how the hell did u get 25 fans in ur comp?

20. Praetor

Note that I said system and not comp -- big difference.

- Three bay mounted hdd coolers with 3 fans each (9)
    - Two 80mm fans mounted next to the HDDs (11)
    - One CPU cooler and two if you count the Volcano7 i jury-rigged to the SilentboostK7 (12)
    - One on the video card (13)
    - Three in the PSU (16)
    - Two PCI slot exhaust fans (18)
    - One rear 80mm exhaust fan (19)
    - One 92mm exhaust on the top (20)
    - One 80mm front intake fan (21)
    - Two 25mm fans i attatched to the rear exterior of the case (23)
    - One 120mm fan on the top of my monitor (24)
    - One 80mm fan on the top of my monitor (25)