1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the c2Q, they are bandwitdh hungry, so it is better than just increasing to the max FBS on their normal multi, is to lower the mutli as much a possible, and then increace the FBS even more. this will give you the same clock, with more bandwith. this will help the C2Q perform better.

1066/4 = 266
    266 x 9 = 2.4GHz Q6600.
    333 x 9 = 3.0GHz Q6600 OC

BUT

its better to do this.

429 x 7 = 3.0GHz Q6600 OC.

this will perform better then just raising the FBS as above.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Really? Can you get some benchmarks on this?

If someone tells me how I'll try it out and post benchmarks.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

im sure superPI would run quicker.

4. j0rdanzz

j0rdanzz Guest

I have an Asus P5W DH Deluce, with and Intel Q6600 which I want to Overclock. Out of the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme and the Thermalright IFX-14 which would be better for cooling. Is the IFX-14 worth the bit extra (if so 120mm fan or 140mm fan). I have a Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case. I am also going to get the Thermalright HR-03 GT for my gfx cards should i use a fan or not?

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme is better. By all means use a fan on the GPU cooler, it will keep it cooler. Of course we have "certain" members, not gonna say who, who are OBSESSED with silence and they have no fan on their Thermalright HR-03 GT.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, that's what I'm going to do, I haven't bought an HR-03GT yet, I'm still using the regular HR-03 on my old graphics card, since the 3870 doesn't arrive until tuesday.
    Without doubt you will get better temps using a 92mm fan (if you can be bothered to attach it, it can be a bit frustrating sometimes), but the option is there to not use one if you want a really quiet PC - a well cooled case will see load temps of no more than 70C even without a fan, not bad considering using the stock cooler in its normal config, 90C is to be expected.
    As far as the CPU HSF goes, get the Ultra120 extreme. Do buy a fan for that, it doesn't need to be fast (I use one at 750rpm) but it does need to have one.

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Sam, when you get the 3870 will you be playing Crysis more?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Undoubtedly. I don't mind the game, but didn't want to play it on a card that has to run it at 800x600 to get a decent frame rate with decent graphics settings.

9. loopelisa

loopelisa Member

Hello people, not sure if this is the right thread but here goes

I have an acer aspire laptop 5633 which is just over a year old, i upgraded it to vista within a few months of getting it. everytime i have tried to use nero vision to transcode a movie project the laptop shuts down. someone suggested it was the cpu overheating.

i tried downloadign speedfan and everest but they show no fans and speedfan just showed silly high temps and none specifically said cpu.

its becoming more and more annoying because it over heats quite a bit and shuts down.

i contacted acer to ask if they could look at it under the three year warranty only to be told that tescos put it in the wrong box and it doesnt have a 3 year warranty - mmm someone is gonna have to take responsibility for the warranty cos i aint giving up on it.

but is there anything people could suggest to confirm the fan might not being working at all or the cpu has a problem. im concerned because i've read that constant overheating can shorten the life of cpu so im inclined to think that they should replace cpu and fan etc - any thoughts very welcome

Lisa

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Try downloading Everest and check your CPU temps.

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i would take it back to tesco and give their customer service hell, tell them that you only bought the laptop due to them advertising it as having a 3 year warrenty and now you find it not to be true? im sure that tesco will sh@ themselves if you start talking about false advertising and trading standards.

as for the issue, does it have any power saving modes? if so switch them on to try and keep the heat down but tbh it sounds like its got a blockage of some kind and that is stopping the airflow.

from what i have seen about the ifx-14 is beating the true in the best air cooler stakes.

12. loopelisa

loopelisa Member

I did try downloading everest and speedfan
    both strangely didnt seem to see the fan, couldnt find any temp reading in everest at all, fanspeed gave mad high readings on temp1 and temp2 but did not say what these were specifically ie cpu or ne thing

I did give tescos hell on the phone, i talked about trading standards and false advertising, i was incensed that they just seem to say o well its in the wrong packaging, that like buying heinz beans cos it says so on the can and getting peas or something when you open it, its false advertising lol, god its making me so mad lol

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

loopielisa,
    Check and see what your invoice says! That's what will be important. Check the numbers on the box with the numbers on the invoice! If the numbers match, threaten them with a Small Claims lawsuit! If the numbers match they'll have no choice but to take care of it, as they'll no longer have an argument!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like the board in your laptop is unfortunately not supported by Everest and other temperature monitoring programs. Another way of looking at it is to check the temperature of the laptop itself and see how hot the air coming out of it is. If it's unpleasantly hot in some areas, it's too hot, and if you can't feel air coming out of at least one of the vents, or can't hear a fan running, then something's up.
    Ultimately though you should yell at tesco as the others have said.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well post those Mad high readings here. Who knows, what you think is Mad high may not be that high in reality?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good point...

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nero vision is a fairly demanding program for a laptop anyway. you might try a laptop cooling pad. if you intend on using nero vision on a regular basis on your laptop, I would recommend a cooling pad even if there is/was no problem with the laptop. just my 2 cents.

18. loopelisa

loopelisa Member

Firstly, thank you to everyone who responded :)

Russ - yes the model number on box and invoice match, but acer say that tescos sold that model with and without the three year warranty, sounds like a load of crap to me, they say that the serial number of my laptop is not registered as being one with the 3 year warranty.
    i say tough the box says so, so i want it!!! lol

sammorris - yep it does get unbelievably hot to touch at the bottom, i think the fan is still working but maybe not as effeciently as it should do

abbuzar1 - mad temps are: HDO says 45 but if i keep near a cold window i can get it down to 42ish, the others do not tell me what the readings are only temp1 = 71 and temp2 = 72, yep i did say they were mad high lol

mind you i just checked in speedfan today and they are all bout 54

mort81 - yep i did think bout cooling pad, i dont use nero vision that much but i am fed up in general with my laptop getting red hot, i still think their is a fault tho because its normal running temp seems too high

cheers again peeps
    gonna keep hounding tescos

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those sound about right for a laptop that, is indeed overheating. 70C is probably the CPU core(s), which is hot, but not "mad". The HDD being above 45 is the big sign that it's hot in there, plus as you say, it being uncomfortably hot. The cheapest solution initially would be to find a laptop cooler.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah Laptops CAN get that hot. I would either return it and get a different model or get a Laptop cooling pad like Mort said.