1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

loopelisa,
    Keep pushing! Because the box says 3 year warranty and the serial number matches the one on the box, they don't have a leg to stand on. Remind them it only costs $37.50 to file in small claims Court, so unless they set this matter right, See you in Court! They know they can't win and will settle it! No Judge in the world is going to rule against you unless there is a disclaimer on the package of the Warranty!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Tesco's presumably in the UK, and in the UK the legal process is somewhat different, but I'm not sure how different.

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I am trying to OC my E6600, but am having trouble keeping temp down. Its cooled by a arctic freezer 7 pro and the case has 10 fans (4x120mm side intake, 2x120mm rear exhaust, 1x120mm front intake, 1x80mm top exhaust). The room it is in is generally 25-35C.
    Right now it is closer to 25/30C in the room and when I run TAT the temp hits ~55C @2.8Ghz.
    I was thinking of replacing the stock fans but don't know which fans are good. Based on reviews the Scythe SY1225SL12H 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan looks good, but I heard some of them leak oil. The SilenX IXP-76-18 120mm Case Fan looks good, but it got some sketchy reviews.

Any suggestions on dropping the temp?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Dude can I see a pic of your case?

5. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

So I don't post a ton of photos, is anything specific I should photograph?

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Just your case man. That's a Crap load of fans.

You should look to optimize your airflow. Play around with the fans a bit see what you can do.

Also you have a Freezer 7 Pro. While it's great for the price it's not the best. I use it and my temps are kinda HIGH lol.

7. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I'm not sure what you wanted to see so I uploaded side and rear photo to my My Profile. If its the model your after is a NZXT Zero. Also, I forgot to mention the slot fan I have beneath my 8800GTS (to keep it cool).

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I see four side fans, all they all Intake?

9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Yes, they are all intake. I realize that I mistakenly only mentioned 2 fans in my original post.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeaaaahh, nice work on the case! Hehe
    With the four side, two rear 120s and a top 80 I knew which case it was even before I checked.

11. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks. Do you think better fans would help keep temps down? I don't know much about air flow or optimizing it. The inside of the case is as well organized as possible (for me) without purchasing longer cables. Most of my problem I believe comes from the ambient temp which is quite warm now and can be expected to rise 5-10C during summer.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What case is it?

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

eparker89,
    It's much harder to cool a computer when the ambient temps are high to begin with. AC is fine, if you have it! If you don't, it becomes much more of a problem. It gets very warm here in SoCal. 115-117F in the summer months is about average for our area!

I've been using the same model Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case now for over a year, which is a decent sized Mid-Tower case (17.25"H x 8"W x19.50"D), and after a lot of experimenting with different fans, airflow direction and fan speeds, my case is cooled by 3 fans! 4 if you want to count the fan in the PSU. A single 80mm intake in the front (stock Cooler Master) that draws air from a vent in the bottom of the case, an 80mm exhaust fan on the side cover and a 120MM exhaust rear case fan. This creates negative air pressure inside the case and makes the static air vents draw lots of cooler air, that all moves at about 100 cfm! I use a Freezer 7 Pro to cool my CPU, and an Antec 40x40x20mm 6.5 cfm fan mounted to the heatsink to help cool the Northbridge and keep some of the heat away from the CPU. Shortly, I plan to install this Enzotech Chipset cooler with an Antec 40x40x20 6.5 cfm fan installed on it!
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/encnfoconoco.html Hope it works as good as it looks! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Putting an AC unit in a PC is asking for trouble. Doing it that cheaply is also asking for trouble. I'd avoid that case, even though the main negative review is from a complete idiot.
    Stick to a proper case. It's hard to make a PC silent, especially in a warm climate, but it's a doddle to at least keep one cool, especially with a case like yours.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    In a word, don't! It's a piece of junk! The problem is they draw so much power that the heat created supplying the power for the electronics becomes more than it removes. Vigor Gaming makes a CPU cooler that works on the same principal!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835702002
    You need a large case for it to fit. Some gamers I know love it. Newegg doesn't seem to keep many in stock as they are always out of them. Tigerdirect has them though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Can anyone say Peltier?
    It's the exact same issue.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I have an Igloo Kool Rider cooler chest for the car that uses a Peltier chip (there, you happy Sam? LOL!!:) to keep a Six-Pack of your favorite beverage, sandwiches and other stuff cool. It doesn't keep things that cold in spite of the car's AC and consumes quite a bit of power in the process! Leave it plugged in with the car parked and you better be back in less than 4 hours or your battery will be dead! Did I say it uses lots of power? LOL!! They just don't work that well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I'll have to think of something.

Kinda off topic but Nvidia drivers are the most piece of shit drivers I have ever used. I'm borrowing my freinds 8500GT until my 8800GT gets here and I can't even finish 3DMark! At first I thought it was my OC giving my BSOD but hell my PC isn't stable at stock settings! It BSOD if my PC is on for a couple of hours browsing the web.

I'll try older drivers now.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

iicr there was a convention saying BSODs on Vista, and 17% was MS in 2nd position, with Nvidia being first with 28%