1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Praetor I used to do the open case and fan on the floor bit when I was overclocking my 200 mghz mmx. I even modified and airconditioner filter to keep the dust out and both work really well. LOL

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I did that last summer when i only that the Volcano7+ HSF and decided to do a crapload of encoding ... with a Palomino chip too! Needless to say i needed that fan pointing pointblank at the mobo :)

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I live in Florida and sometimes even good air conditioning needs a little help. Then add to that my desire to stretch the limit of my PC (over clocked my 200 mghz mmx to around 300 mghz} by overclocking when good cooling heatsinks and fans were rare, it becomes easily understood why one might use a high speed circulating fan to keep it cool.

4. Praetor

I hear ya ... being a student i dont have the luxury of AC so i needed some serious CFMs coming from that fan if it was gonna circulate warm/hot air hehe

5. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

yo Praetor your computer must sound like a spaceship..lol....i think my comp is loud with 5 fans, i can imagine 20..lol

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Good point aXidburn why can't we get decent quiet cooling without building monstrosities. I think I am going to try a vapo chill type setup and get that chip down below 0 degrees.

7. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

nah i know the best way for cooling...next time u see someone throwing out a old frig. take it...rig it up so it can go under ur comp and there u go...overclock away!

8. Praetor

LOL i cant afford one (financially) of them fancy setups and i certainly cant afford one casewise becuase my tower has to meet a fairly exacting set of requirements -- none of which are met by the Vapochill case (aside from cooling).

I do like however, that my computer is fairly powerful -- and makes no attempt to hide it by acting all "dainty" with silent fans :p

9. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

well Praetor, if u ever build a house for urself, make surr u make a seprate line from the a/c straight to your computer...that would be pretty dam cool..lol

10. Praetor

LOL ill keep that in mind although i spect the variant of the Vapocool AC will be more than sufficient its essentially an AC with a tube (or more) which force feeds into the back end of your chasis to cool it... pretty sweet :)

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It does sound a little silly considering that I have my 2.8 gig overclocked to 3.15 gigs. My system is almost 2 years old and its not really that far behind the new stuff. Curiosity however is a compelling force that drives my psyche. I'm afraid that if I use the water cooling solution and then accidently spill my beer on it, that I might get confused and not know which is to blame.

12. Praetor

LOL ... you should look into a completely internal watercooling system, i am told such one exists -- at least then you know who to blame. :)

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

When you say a completely internal watercooling system, you aren't referring to an electronic aquarium are you? I seem to recall about a system that I read about on the inernet that was built using mineral oil. IF I remember correctly the entire board was dunked in the oil. Although I wouldn't feel comfortable trying it, that's what I would call an internal liquid cooling system. LOL BTW I bet the dude knocked out power on his entire block.

14. Praetor

LOL I recall reading about that too (i think it might have been Rig of the Month for MaxPC but it was an aquarium with real fishies, not mineral oil) ... but in the watercooling thread i believe someone mentioned a completely internal system ... im sure they have custom cases designed with internal resivoirs and such... i dunno... im not a watercooling fan :)

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Must have been a different article beause the one I read really used mineral oil. The guy even provided step step picures of it. I never did find our if it actually worked
    but since there isn't a run on mineral oil and companies that provide cooling aren't offering that particular solution. Did the guy with the aquarium have a fish fry with all the fixing. LOL

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

17. Praetor

He did have fishes (actually i think it was a she) ... there was a picture with about 4 fishes in it ... maybe more from a different angle :)

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Pass the tartar sauce please!

19. Praetor

LOL I just have to wonder how the rust-proofed everything :S ... i wouldnt want a beautiful HSF to go all corroded green on me :p

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I also think that mineral oil has a nasty habit of dissolving synthetics over time. I do know that super computers use a liguid emersion cooling system. Perhaps I can figure out somehing with liguid nitrogen. Tomshardware rigged a pipe to a heat sink and then filled it with liguid nitrogen. They then overclocked a P4 past 5 ghz with a frontside bus speed that exceeded 1200 mghz. You can download the DiVx video they made of the procedure from their web site. BTW they ran no bench marks which means the system wouldn't run stable.