1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Maybe you just didn't notice the post!

abuzar1 said:
    He's the one who brought it up!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

sammorris, theonejrs, abuzar1,
    guys, why dont we just forget this every happened and make up with each other?
    what do you say?
    -im1992

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

By all means...
    I didn't even see that post from Abuzar though, and even looking now I can't find it!

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't know how you guys do it but I have got to have fans and I have them all spinning roughly at 1700-2000 rpm except for my cpu fan which is at around 2100 rpm. I tried all different configurations and have them optimal arrangement now.

I could probably slow them down a bit especially during the cooler months but they are by no means what I would call loud. between the tv (which is usually on), a ceiling fan and a room fan, I can't even hear the pc fans. when the ac kicks on, it drowns out everything.

you guys must not have anything else on in the room or house if your pc fans are too loud. it's 78f in here now and this is where my temps are at according to everest. keep in mind everest uses a tj-max of 105c and it should be 95c so figure 10c lower for the core temps.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

my cpu temp is at 33c at idle almost all the time regardless of fan speed (unless I let it get to 80f+ then I have seen it at 35c). the only time the 2100 rpm is beneficial is when it is under load. I do a lot of video encoding so I just leave it at 2100 rpm. it is not loud or at least I don't notice it.

this pc has more 120mm fans on it than my other pc but it is not as noisy as my other pc due to the 40mm fans on the NB and SB of the other one. they are noisy.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If your CPU fan is the scythe monster, then that's what I'd call unbearable... lol but then you're right, I have no other noise sources in my room apart from my server, which is also pretty quiet for obvious reasons.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Faulty judgment or whatever, the reviews they post are not reliable for the end user. From what I saw I could conclude that Freezer 7 Pro is almost as good as a TRUE, when it is not so.

When do I quickly badmouth products? What products are we talking about?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Page 39 about 1/4 of the way down the page!

Russ

8. im1992

im1992 Regular member

russ,
    do heatpipe coolers get less effective after use?
    i mean will a CNPS 9700 that is 2 days old perform better than a CNPS 9700 that is 1.5 years old(cleaned up to factory finish)?
    does the gas/liquid get old or escape the termination points of the heatpipes?
    -thanks

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

IM1992,
    No, the liquid is in there for life! Unless, like my original 9500LED, it springs a leak! Zalman replaced it, BTW, in very short order, so no complaints there! Arctic's warranty is 6 years, so I wouldn't worry about it very much considering the only thing that's ever likely to fail is the fan unless you bounce it down the stairs or something like that. In theory, the cooler itself should outlast you! LOL!! Keep it clean and it could outlast several CPUs. I'm on the same AF7-Pro for the last 4 CPUs now! It's handled a Prescot, Pressler, E4300 and the present E6750 with no problems on 3 different motherboards. No complaints yet!

Just so's you know, the heat pipe has it's roots all the way back to the late 30s early 40s. They were originally used to make Christmas Tree lights bubble! You just placed them over a standard 7w Christmas Tree light bulb and made it look like a Candle that bubbled. The bubbling liquid in the glass tube under vacuum boiled from the heat of the bulb! Same principle, different purpose! Of course the Heatpipes have Capillary tubes or wicks to get the liquid back to the source of the heat as quickly as possible! I still have a set of those old Christmas Tree lights, btw! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

o wtf have i started....

yea anandtechs, well i would say you can trust their findings to be comparable to each other in that all their tests are done the same way but i would not expect to get the same results from any of the coolers as they do once you get it home and in a case. if you was running your pc on an open bench all the time then yep it should be about the same if your ambient was also the same but inside a case with like 6 sides never going to happen.

going away from what i wanted to know, even anands charts are a bit outdated as there are quite a few new coolers on the market that aren't on those lists, mine for eg or that new coolermaster monster that claims it too can cool a quad passive.

the only ones i can find that do include mine seem to have it running with a slower fan than a true which isnt a fair comparison in my eyes.

i have been able to find 1 but it only does a few coolers and i really wanted to know how it did compared to as many as possible.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=556&pageid=4

i would guess this is because the freezer pro had more paste on it than was really needed and when you just plonked the tru on it some of it was removed(on thye f7p base) and made a perfect contact. over the years i would say i now use about a thrid of the paste i thought was needed when i first started to play about with it, and by trail and error noticed it really is a less is more deal.

heres a tip for you, if you are using silver based paste, pre heat it in some boiling water before aplication, makes it easier to spread (or squash depending on your method) and it starts the curing cycle before you have turned the pc on. it does shorten the shelf life of the tube tho but how long does a tube last you???

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

theone: Man, how do I keep missing them?
    im1992: No, or at least they shouldn't. Russ here had one case of a cooler that leaked, but I've never seen that happen before or since.
    Marsey: i lost the tube, rather than finished it - I'm not a system builder... :) As for the comment about too much the first time, I wondered that too, but I applied it using the exact method detailed on the Arctic silver site, and when I removed the Freezer the coverage looked pretty spot on...

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Just so's you know, the new Arctic Freezers come with the MX-2 on them, so there's no more thick like with the lod ones. It looks perfectly dry, but it isn't, so be careful. Works real good! It's easy to tell as it's a greyish white in color. I used a small paintbrush and applied a thin coating to the CPU and the cooler. I was a tip I picked up from another forum. The theory being that you're more likely to have good contact on both surfaces and less possibility of air bubbles. It also doesn't harden, so there's no real curing involved.

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

spot on russ, silcon based pastes are great for those reasons, and the fact they are non conductive making them safer for some applications, but sam said he had used as5 so that was why i posted my tip.

14. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thanks for the help sammorris and russ! i appreciate it!
    -im1992

15. im1992

im1992 Regular member

hi,
    is 1162 rpm good for a 120mm fan?
    -thanks,
    im1992

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 120mm fan will probably push more air, but it'll be a lot quieter doing it, 120mm fans are always better than 80mms if you can fit them in.

17. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thx sam!

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

I finally lapped my CNPS 9500!
    it looks awesome
    I didn't use any water
    just dry sanded it...
    haven't tested it out for temperature decrease (or increase) yet...
    -im1992

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to sand it, I use a ragwheel on a dental lab lathe and use different grades of Jeweler's Rouge, 3 different grits and it takes about 5 minutes. I've never done one by hand so I am curious as to how long it takes that way.

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. im1992

im1992 Regular member

it took me 2 hours with frequent breaks
    I was also studying for my Chemistry final while doing this so it wasn't continuous....
    I would say, I was sanding continuouly for a total of 30 minutes max, the rest of the time, I wasted
    -im1992