1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Keep it. There is a high chance you might screw something up even more by trying to get rid of it.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

you are probably right....i will leave it as it is....
    thanks! -im1992

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

cant wait for computex to finish. i wanna see the new CPU coolers for the nehalam (LGA 1366?)

and the new 775 aswell.

i heard noctua are doing a dual cooler, like two NH-U12P stuck together :O

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A noctua version of the IFX-14? Sounds interesting...

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

[​IMG]

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, I thought I was joking! It's a splitting image!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I had to do my fans over again. With the side 80mm blowing in it took about a month for the CPU cooler to get all blocked up with dirt. A couple of days ago I started noticing my CPU temp was going up, and the Cooler was all clogged up. Of course I smoke, which doesn't help either.

Anyway, I'm back to one intake and two exhausts. My CPU temp went up about a degree, but the NB and video card run cooler as the static air vent on the side cover moves more air. The video card runs 3-4C cooler, but the NB temp is about 1C cooler. I only mention any of this because of people who live where there's lots of dust. The strobe effect of the rear fan's sound has disappeared completely and the computer is now as quiet as it used to be before I switched the fan to an intake! I'm now back to 1300 rpm for both the rear and side fans and about 100 cfm. After seeing the mess it made after only 1 month of running the 80mm as an intake, I'll never make that mistake again! LOL!!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Dust filter not quite potent enough then? :p

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i know, RIP OFF

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The dust filter I put on the Intake works fine, but I didn't have one on the 80mm when it was an intake. I had to scrape the crud off of the HSF fan blade. I didn't really notice how loud it was that way until the other night, when I had an AutoCad test simulation running all night. I gather that was because the top of the CPU cooler and the fan are only about 3/4" apart so as an intake it made a lot more noise blowing against the top of the cooler!

I know originally one of the drawbacks to the 80mm being an intake was excessive dirt, I just didn't realize it would be so bad! LOL!! Next time I'll leave well enough alone! LOL!!

Russ

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

just use tights, borrow one off your mrs.

sam, i just been thinking of it, and didnt TR technically steal that design of Tuniq?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I now have a pair of 80s running filterless as intake fans. Let's see how they fare after a few months of usage.

Shaff: Probably. 'Share and share alike' seems to apply with regard to coolers, everyone else follows each other's trends. I was contemplating the move to an IFX when I get a Quad depending on how my temps fare.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

do it sam, you will get the same temps as a true but with a fan at half the speed and knowing your love of noise....:D

you wont be disapointed.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I will, when I can afford one... :)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

There's been a lot of discussion about case fans on the building thread. I've moved this post here to make my case for negative air pressure inside a case with a side and back air vents, and why it works so well!

When I purchase a case, I look for one that has a place you can install an 80mm or larger fan. I look for a static air vent below where you would mount a fan on the door. I have 33 cfm being drawn into the case by the front 120mm fan (stock CM). The two exhaust fans, the 80mm and the 120mm both run at 1300 rpm. This gives me about 100+ cfm being drawn out of the case. Obviously the difference between the air going in and the air going out is about 65-70 cfm! This is drawn into the case through the rear vents below the rear fan and the roughly 3.5x5" static air vent on the lower part of the door. This alone lowers the video card temp by as much as 7C. It also helps cool the NB better and helps get the heat moving out of the computer via the rear fan. The side fan doesn't do much to remove any heat, but rather helps the airflow into the static vents. It does remove some heat while encoding as you can feel it on the back of your hand, but it doesn't change the amount of cool air going in!

I've tried a number of fans over the last couple of years and I feel that with a case designed like mine with the static vents in the right place benefits greatly from running negative air pressure. Since I've always had some of the lowest temps over the last 3 builds and I've done it this way with all 3, so I think I know what I'm talking about. Everyone here has seen my temps posted from time to time so they know I'm not BS'ing about it!

If I was designing a case for good airflow I would include a static vent on the lower right front of the right side cover and make sure it isn't blocked by the MB or MB tray. This would help channel more air to the memory and the CPU cooler, adding a cross-flow element to things. The biggest thing negative case pressure does is increase the amount of cool air entering the case! All I can say is it works very well!

On another but related note, I have an invention that hopefully will eliminate a lot of cooling problems in the future. If any of you have Mechanical Drawing experience and might be interested in what may well become a very popular item, please PM me and we'll discuss it. I need this thing drawn up before someone else gets the same idea. I've made some crude prototypes and they do work, but now I've refined the design to allow better airflow so I can't do any more real testing until I can get someone to draw it up for me! I also want the drawings because I plan to apply for a patent and you need those just to get the patent! I've already protected myself by sending myself a registered letter detailing my invention, which will remian un-opened. That way If I ever had a challenge to my design I can show an exact time line for when I started working on it! Anyone interested in what could well be a very lucrative venture, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what I have in mind and how I feel that it might benefit both of us. The drawing part won't be very difficult, it's just that I lack the skills to do the job. Any help would be greatly appreciated and possibly very rewarding!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

WATS WITH ALL THE LONG ARSE POSTS TODAY :p

so many, so much reading...tired.

just had my computing exam aswell.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol how'd it go?

And come on, you must be used to long posts from Russ by now! :)

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

crap :(

i accelled at the harware areas, but there is to much programming, i might aswell be reading chineese when it comes to that :(

and russ, you have to stop longing out ur posts, us young ppl have places to be :p

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's exactly what I was like with my computing exam at university - when I still did electronics.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

and i applied for electronics haha