1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I hope you do better at it than I do,

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    And us older ppl don't? LOL!! Remember, the older you get the less time you have for anything! LOL!! At least my posts are meaningful and usually contain useful information. How many Addicts do we have here that really earned that status? LOL!! I earned mine! You can't answer very many questions with "One Liners"! LOL!!

Respectfully,
    Russ

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sweet and short hehe. i cant belive in your old age, your hand dont cramp from all that writing :p

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I like to think I'm in the same boat... :)

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

mmm, the ACFP7 is F'ing loud at 100%, even at 50%, ideally 40% is good, but it heats up too much during games. although i put it to 20% for films, (but then i forget to change back for game :p)

so sam, recomend me a 92mm (im sure ur gonna say nexus hehe) for the fan replacement. it has rubber mounts, but is too loud, so hopefully i can use those fan mounts. if not cable ties :(

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As many nexus fans as I've owned (six as it happens, aside from their other silencing products) I've not had their 92mm fans. The only 92mm fans I've had have either been built into CPU coolers like the Freezer 7 Pro or Zalman CNPS7000 or the 92mm Antec Tricool I bought - which is actually fine, not too loud even on high speed, but not a great airflow pusher. However, acoustically, the fan the freezer 7 pro comes with is excellent - it's just noisy because it's very high speed - if you use speedfan, or better yet your motherboard's automatic speed control to knock it down a bit, it's perfectly acceptable - if you're after a near-silent PC, however, very few fans will be able to produce enough airflow to keep your temps from rising - the Nexus might be up to the job at 1500rpm, but I'm not sure. The one downside of the fan on the freezer is that on its own, it doesn't actually push that much air for how fast it goes - use speedfan to set it to around 1800rpm to get an idea of how your temps will do - the Nexus is only 1500rpm, but at that speed will push a similar amount of air. At its full speed, Nexus' 92mm fan has an SPCR rating of 21dB.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah, i have it at auto speed with the mobo, but i dont like when i put it under anyload it jumps to 100%. its possible i can set this in the bios, i will have a look. btw, you got a link to the nexus for the UK?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I use the MB to control my CPU fan with the AF7-Pro and it never hits 100%. The most I've ever seen it run is 2200 rpm, and that was running Orthos! Even when encoding, it rarely gets above 1400-1500 rpm!

I have the Smart fan Control Method set to auto and the Smart Fan Control Mode set to PWM. Works fine! I did try the Intel, but you have to load the driver from the MB CD. It sucked, the PWM control is better!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I did the same with my 1600rpm Scythe Kaze White 120mm fan that was attached to my CPU heatsink - it never really ventured above 700rpm, except for when running Orthos when it jumped straight to 1400!

11. REAM

REAM Guest

im thinking of ditching my ultimately crap akasa ZEN fans, got anyidea for under £10 delivered for 2 fans?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

13. lucied5

lucied5 Member

I'm investing in 2 new fans.

1 is a 120mm fan that will mount on my side panel. The panel has a spot ready for a fan of that size with holes and a grid.
    My question for this is should it be and intake fan or should it be exhaust. Directly next to the spot for the fan are my 2 GFX cards. There is room but i dont know if i should blow air from outside onto them or suck the air away from them.

The second is a hard drive cooling fan that mounts in my 3.5" HDD slot. I have one HDD and 3 slots.
    Should i mount the fans below my drive to blow on it or above to suck away from it?

My current case config is as follows

Rear: Power supply with exhaust fan
    Liquid cooling system radiator with exhaust fan blowing INTO the case (weird i know)

Side: Spot for fan

Front: Intake fan in front of the HDD slots

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If your GPUs use dual slot coolers that exhaust out of the case, then make it intake. If they're single slots that exhaust into the case, make it exhaust.

15. dcplayer8

dcplayer8 Member

My internal fan went out on me. Would an external fan do the trick in keeping it cool? Or do I need to fix my internal fan and then add an external?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure what you mean by internal fan, as there'll be more than one in there. In general though, whichever fan has failed, replace it. Immediately.

17. dcplayer8

dcplayer8 Member

The fan inside of my laptop failed. Surely it wouldnt be expensive for a person to put another inside of it.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

the CPU FAN inside your laptop?

need to be immediately replaced. yesterday.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

lucied5,
    First thing is how many cfm the fans are? Second thing is you should never have a radiator fan exhausting into the case, as that sort of defeats the purpose of water cooling. The whole point with water is to remove the heat from the water cooled things (cpu, NB, video, etc!) and get it out of the case, not into it. Mounting the Radiator outside the case is best! With mine I'm planning on mounting the radiator outside the case, directly behind the rear fan using it to cool the radiator. In fact the fan and radiator make a sandwich with the case in the middle. Should work very well!

With water, I would make the side fan an intake. If the CPU was air cooled, I would make it an exhaust. You have to be more careful if you make it an intake when air cooled because it's easy to interfere with the flow of air through the CPU cooler and actually make it run warmer. I have two 80mm intakes and 1 120mm . The rear 120 exhaust runs at 1400 rpm and delivers about 70 cfm. The side 80 runs at 1400 as well and moves about 30 cfm and the front intake is 33 cfm and is the stock Cooler Master fan that came with the case. Add the power supply fan and you are over 100 cfm, at a very reasonable noise level. When I get the Swiftech water cooler, I'll have to make the side an intake again so the components inside the case, get more air. Both Silverstones have their own speed control, so I just set them and forget them. I don't use the MB headers for the case fans, just the CPU cooler and I plug the chipset fan into the power fan header. Works great! No lights though. Someone had a link posted for the Silverstone made Cooler Master 120mm fans that come with blue LEDs. Being completely adjustable is much better than fans that have a H-M-L switch, as often the set speeds are either not fast enough or too fast!

As you can see, case cooling is becoming a bit of an art! It just depends on so many different factors. What works very well for me might not work as well for you, because of all the different factors. Location of the fans, whether the case has any static vents, and so on! My AMD 64x2 4800+ uses a single 92mm case fan, with a Freezer 64 for the cpu and I added a 50mm fan to the chipset heat sink. That's it! It cools better than any computer I've ever owned, so you never know what's going to work best!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Just keep in mind that a lot of dual slot coolers still exhaust a lot of heat through vents in the cover of the fan shroud, or space between the rear vent and the fan outlet. Here's a two slot card that's virtually worthless as far as venting hot air outside the case. DIAMOND Viper 3850PE3512O Radeon HD 3850 512MB! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103051. Or cards like the Palit that have more exhaust vents in the cover than the area of the rear exhaust port! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261012 Totally worthless as a two slot solution!

I see where most video cards have done away with the vents in the fan shroud, and truly exhaust everything outside the case. It's about time! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008