1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

This is what I get on a customer's computer that runs 1024x768, less than half the page
    http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3286/1024x768ce1.jpg

If I click the scroll bar once in the white I get this!
    http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1126/1024x7682yj6.jpg

Once more and I get this!
    http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4193/1024x7683ga6.jpg

That's 4 different computers so far, and I called my friend Frank and asked him to look it up and he gets the same thing, so make that 5!

The only thing I saw out of the ordinary was that long URL! I wasn't asking for the sun the moon and the stars! How difficult would it be for spaul40 to temporarily remove it to see if it's the problem. Like I said, it's the only thing I see on the whole page that looks out of the ordinary!

P.S.
    When I posted this message it changed to the next page, and the problem disappeared! Go back to the previous page and it's there, go back one more page and it's gone too. I have to say though, I can't ever recall a 207 character URL before. Even the long ones on newegg are shorter after you post them

Russ

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol Russ, relax. I was just joking haha. I know it's a software thing. It's probably because you are using a different browser or that you didn't exit out of that thingy on the left.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are you using ie or firefox?

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Firefox 3(which freaking sucks). I've having an average of 3 BSODs ever since I installed this crap.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No BSODs here, but it does crash on a very regular basic (20-50 times a day)

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Welll it's annoying as hell. I might switch to Opera or back to FF2.

7. spamual

spamual Guest

russ i get the same thing as sam, the text just splits onto a different line, on my 24".

FF3 here no problems.

im a guy who has had no (or very litle software problems), and i dont even use an AV or an AS/AM etc :D, but hardware ont he other hand....(perticurlarly new expensive HW) something always goes wrong.. :(

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I think you and abuzar are on to something here! LOL!! I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.17. I don't even have an icon on the desktop for IE, so I tried IE and the URL word wraps!

I learned two things from all of this. First it was that URL that was causing the problem, and the problem is within FireFox. Maybe they are doing this because I've refused to update to FireFox 3. They've even sent me e-mails asking why! I agree with Abuzar, FireFox 3 sucks! I never got any BSODs with it, but I've had to shut it down through the Task Manager a few times. I haven't had a crash, other than when I installed a new "Generic" optical mouse, since the bios corruption problem caused the memory to give me hundreds of errors in Memtest. I do usually re-boot if I'm going to do a DVDRB/CCE job, but that's only to totally clear the buffers and memory. I usually run the One Click Maintenance part of Tuneup Utilities 2008, a couple of times a day, but to me, a crash is pretty much a non-existent thing!

Russ

9. spamual

spamual Guest

its really really odd. sam gets lots of vista crap problems, or xfire problems, and you to with vista, and all of you with FF£, but i have had none, should i touch wood lool.

hell even my vista 64 was quicker to load than sams XP :eek:

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Shaf, you know I'm willing to try new software all the time. I actually LIKE Vista. But FF3 is just horrible IMHO. It should still be beta.

11. spamual

spamual Guest

i like the phrase you used "IMHO". when most people have problems they state it as is a fact, and not an opinion :)

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Yeah well, you did cheat just a bit! LOL!!
    Any OS will boot lots faster without all of that in there! ROFLMAO!! I'm behind a hardware firewall, and I still wouldn't run on line without all the stuff you leave out. That's just asking for trouble! Gives you more speed, but it's not exactly an honest comparison either! A bit like leaving out the brakes so you can go faster! LOL!! Frankly, I don't know anyone who would take that kind of risk! It does explain why your Vista boots quicker than Sam's XP-Pro though! LOL!!
    But is is an opinion, only a humble one though! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well its based on personal experience. Very humbling personal experience lol.

14. spamual

spamual Guest

mmm you might be right, im behind a harware firewall, and its been a year no problems, but when i use an AV i then disable it, that doesnt mean i dont boot up with one, i do, but i scan when i want it to scan, so unlike most people its not on 24/7, mine is on once a month. for about 2-3 hours.

also sam was on a raptor i was on a 160GB per platter samsung spinpoint T166 320GB HDD.

also to boo tup i have xfire, my habu mouse, saitek eclise II, cannon pixma MP500, everest ultimate, the sidebar filled with gagets, msn, demon tools, ati CC, rivatuner, and i think thats it.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

That's why they call it "The Micro$oft Experience"! Try to use their help files sometime. It's an exercise in futility! They make you run around like a trained Rat instead of simply telling you how to do something! With all their help, I still haven't figured out how to not get the full program list, every time I click on programs in the start menu. It used to show just the programs you use the most after a bit of use, and you could easily expand the list if you needed something that wasn't there. M$ puts more effort into the overview than they do giving you actual help. It's frustrating as hell after spending 30 minutes looking from link to link, to once again to come up empty. Sort of like the way Politicians do things! You never get the right answer! I guess it would be too simple if they actually explained how to do something in plain simple language that anyone can understand, without having to go somewhere else and still not get the answer. But then again, people have jobs because of that kind of nonsense! The only saving grace for me, is Vista is even worse, and far more annoying than XP-Pro ever was! LOL!! Both totally suck when it comes to their help menus!

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Firewalls alone can't properly protect a PC, you realistically need both, but an AV software above a firewall. Notably though, AV programs add loads to bootup times, firewalls not so much.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

A lot depends on what you have the AV program do when it opens. Usually they will do some sort of quick scan of critical areas at startup. You can turn it off, but realistically, why would someone want to do that? LOL!! You can also do a full scan instead, but I just don't see the need!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's merely the loading of the interface, AV programs tend to be pretty big. ESET's nice and small but it kept giving me kernel halts...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

OK! I'll bite. What's ESET's?
    The next improvement will be the Swiftech WC system. I like the way it's made and the ease of installation. I hate that I need to pull the MB, but that's life! Overall I'm real happy with the new 250GB hard drive and the fresh install of XP-Pro. I just wish I had left the Seagate in it instead of the WD. Two distinctly different sounds, but the 120GB WD can be annoying. The DeathStar is very quiet, unlike others that I've had in the past! The WD has this sort of "Metalic Bonk" sound, almost but not quite a musical note. Two drives also work so much better with DVDRB/CCE. It's shortened the rebuild times considerably, and even lopped a bit off the Encode time as well!

Makes me wonder how good it will be with a Q9550 with E0 stepping in it? I'm hoping for around a $200 or so price tag for one when Core i7 happens! Go Speed Racer! LOL!!

Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ESET Personal Security.