1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you haven't bought a Prescott then you might want to look at the slightly cooler running Northwood core with shorter pipes. The Nortwood and the Prescott have the same physical overclocking limits but the Northwood edges out the Prescott in cooling and in one on one performance. It's the reason that the P4 extreme edition uses the Northwood core instead of the presctt.

2. mrpopo

mrpopo Guest

Hey,
    I recently purchased some parts for the computer i built.
    I'm running a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz(Prescott)on a P4P800-E Deluxe mobo. I built the comp on a coolermaster centurion 5 and i noticed the temp was at its high 50'sC idle, about 56*C idle and would jump to 63*C when burning with nero. I purchased a Zalman CNPS7000A HS. I put it on with some artic 5 and the temperature didn't drop. I have 2 case fans, 1 in the front as intake,and 1 in the back as outake. I really don't want the mobo to fry on me so i don't usually run big operations, am wondering if someone could tell me if something is wrong with the cpu or the cooling and what i can do to improve my heat issues.

Thanks in advance

3. mrpopo

mrpopo Guest

Any1?...

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

As i stated earlier, the Presott runs hotter than it's cooler cousin, the Northwood. That being said it's still a darned good overclocker. If you're running a little too hot then check to make sure that the heatsink is properly seated on your CPU good heatsink to CPU contact is a must. And to improve that contact invest in some thermal paste (compound) before reseating your heatsink, I recommend using arctic silver.

5. mrpopo

mrpopo Guest

i took off the heatsink to make sure it was seated rite..it was..but the thing is, that when i removed the heatsink, the cpu was attached to the heatsink kinda glued to it with the artic silver 5. Did this happen because i applied too much? Well i cleaned the chip and heatsink and added a lesser amount of artic silver to it and placed the cpu on mobo and the hs correctly on the cpu. no temp changes...

6. msnerd123

msnerd123 Member

I am not really sure if this is the right place for this post but the basic reason for posting is cooling related. This post is somewhat long.

My brother just got a system on very friendly terms, free actually. I get the 'pleasure' of maintaining it.

The components are:
    a1ble mid tower - ugly but it works
    hec 250 watt PS = *shudder*
    aopen MK77-8XN micro ATX MB
    AMD 2500+ CPU - woohoo!
    40 GB drive, floppy, CD-R
    256 MB PC2700 RAM (KVR?)
    32 MB video card

When it works, life is good. System does all that the users require. Unfortunately, it shuts down after a while. I installed MBM. This shows that the CPU temp starts at about 40C and steadily increases until 70C and shuts off.

It sounds like a problem with the HSF. The current one was made by aopen. It is about an inch of aluminum with a no-name 60mm fan (label fell off?). There is a free 80mm fan space on back of the case.

I checked dansdata.com(see index) and overclockers.com for input. Great sites, way too much information. Some of the offerings were scary, like the one by Thermalright that requires you to dismount the MB to install! Decided that some expert advice was in order. Thank you in advance.

My questions:

1) Any recommendations for a new HSF? Moderate noise is fine. Nobody sleeps in same room. $50 is budget target. System will be in upper story (warm). MB has two clips (L/R). MB is cramped for space so 60mm base is about the most that will work. With any luck I will be seeing less of this system (limited travel).

1A) Any recommendations for an 80mm exaust fan?

1B) Does anyone use filters for fans anymore? Lots of dust bunnies in the environment.

2) Any recommendations for a new PS? I'm thinking that 400 watts or so should be fine. $75 budget target.

2A) A lot of power supplies have a fan in 'back' and another on 'top' or 'bottom'. Does the orientation of PS matter? No fan hole on top of case. His kids probably use the case as a cup/soda holder.

2B) Any thoughts of the goodness/badness of the Antec SmartPower line vs the TruePower line?

3) Is there any problem with putting different vendor RAM in if the clock speed (PC2700, cl2.5) is the same?

4) *looking around to make sure no one is looking* A lot of the HSF units discussed on the web sites above need 4 prong power. Same as a disk or CD. Is there a name for the adapter that these require to take care of the male to male problem? Same for the add on fan.

Jack

7. RyanB

RyanB Member

Hi there I'm posting here since this is the official PC Cooling thread my pc specs are down on my siggy. I just wanna ask what is the official average temp of the prescott cpu. My cpu got replaced recently - warranty because I think it fried I'm not sure the details they gave me were faulty - powers no display and it wouldn't stay booted for more than a couple of mins and would restart itself or shutdown. - I got a replacement cpu same type but I've got some temp monitor software to watch it - it started off at 17C no it's gradually stepped up to 30C over a week. I've got the stock cooler and I want to know is there anything I can do to keep it operating at a normal temperature of let's say 25/30. Without it rising to 70+ unless I'm playing games or using up all resources. I'm using a 650W PSU any help and advice is greatly appreciated thanks.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

RyanB

The max temp range for the Prescott is quite high, around 90 degrees celcius. It should idle around 40 to 45 degrees celcius and under full sustained load shouldn't go much higher than 65 degrees celcius. The problem is the accurate measure of Temp. Apps such as Asus prob aren't exact in their measures. The core temp of your CPU is likely to be higher than the app might report. If you're in a warm room with a heater blowing nearby, that could cause your chip to overheat. If you're using the stock heat/sink fan and you're into a lot of video compression then you should strongly consider the purchase of a good aftermarket heat/sink and fan.

9. danny245

danny245 Member

hi i think i have benn having a few problems cooling my system i have got 1 fan sucking in at front 1 sucking out at back and a akasa fan and heat sink on chip, it says the chip is 63oc and the motherboard is 127oc the power temp is 44oc and the hard drive is between 13 and 18oc is this right or have i sey some thing up wrong thanks danny

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

11. ObcT

ObcT Member

ok i might sound stupid but on graphics cards there is a cooling slot and it looks white where would I find a cooler to connect to it

12. ddp

can put a system blower beside the videocard to suck the hot air aoround the videocard heatsink if it doesn't have a fan on it

13. ObcT

ObcT Member

but what does that other white connector do it looks like you plug something into it example:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  14. ddp

on the picture, is it the 1 by the slot connector that has the red & black wires coming from it, if so than should be connecting to the fan on the card.

15. ObcT

ObcT Member

no i mean on the metal panel sticking out on the left

16. ddp

that is also to attach a monitor to or use an adapter to attach a regular vga 15pin connector to

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Is the white socket shown not the DVI output? You can also fit an adapter to enable you to run a second monitor off. I do with mine!

18. Repoman89

Repoman89 Member

Well this thread seems a bit old but I'll try to get an answer anyway...

I'm going to be building a computer with these components:

Antec solution atx case
    antec smartpower 500watt psu
    asus a8n-sli motherboard
    amd athlon64 3800+ venice retail
    msi geforce 6800gt
    corsair valueselect 1gb ddr
    250gb maxtor diamondmax (7200, 16mb)
    floppy, dvd burner, dvd drive
    audigy2
    gigabyte wireless network pci card
    speakers, keyboard, monitor etc etc.

The case comes with 2 120 mm fans, one back and one front. The PSU has 2 80mm: one intake and one exhaust. My questions:

1. Will stock Athlon64 cooling be fine? I won't be doing any overclocking (not for now). Or do I need to get a separate HSF?
    2. Will this cooling configuration be alright in general? The case fans are 38 cfm. I'm new to building computers so any cooling input would be great! ;)

edit: By the way, quiet is best for me, I want to be able to hear my music and games at lower volumes over the noise!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  19. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

Just got an Asus a8n-sli deluxe,,,,,should i change the chipset fan, have a gigabyte geforce 6800gt....can't play Medal of Honor Pacific Assault, it lags terribly....even did it with an radeon X800 Pro....wondering if the cooler on the chipset should be changed or is the stock one fine? I snuck in 2 questions there...lol

20. ddp

how hot does the chipset heatsink get, if possible try a digital thermomenter