1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah ForceWare 180 is a lie too. It gave me a boost in FC2 but like only 5FPS. a 38% boost would have been more like 13 FPS or something like that. The boost in Lost Planet is nice though. More like 50%, but not 80%.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lost Planet was always a heavily nvidia-biased game anyway, so that doesn't surprise me.

3. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

I started a new game, and it's all good now.

I'm seriously loving Crysis, it's SICK!!!!!

How many levels are there????
    I'm on the third already and it is my first day playing

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11 main sections, 27 subsections, excluding 3 "bosses"

5. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

K
    By sections do you mean like, Contact, and such (the name that appears on the loading screen)

I'm taking each one of those as one level

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes. Loading screens.
    Contact (intro, HDR Demo, coastline)
    Recovery (Inland)
    Relic (Forest)
    Assault (Harbour)
    Onslaught (Tank level)
    Awakening (Mine)
    Core (Awesome Alien Caves)
    Paradise Lost (Ice level, big frame rate lag)
    Exodus
    Ascension
    Reckoning (Final bosses, Monumental frame rate lag)

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL I don't know where to put it, but this is like my "home thread" so here goes.

I'm moving into some advanced classes and most of them require an Accuplacer test to qualify because I didn't do so great on my SATs(LAZY). So I took the test and here are my scores:

Reading Comprehension: 106 (88th percentile)
    Sentence Skills: 103 (76th percentile)
    Arithmetic: 110 (93rd percentile)
    Algebra: 105 (95th percentile)

I got the highest overall scores in the history of my college. The administrator told me that...

So I'm excited. Gonna get to do my classes and make 70k a year coming out of college :D

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice! I'm happy for you, you deserve a good life after the last few years...

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah. I took A+ Certification and the teacher says I need a more advanced class. They're gonna let me take my A+ exam in 2 weeks and I've been in the class for like 3 months XD

So now I'm on to computer theory in 2 weeks. That's how long they'll take to process it. Gonna learn the inner workings of a PC and such. FSB to RAM to clock speed relationships and voltage regulation and such. And I'm getting an early start on my business degree. I'm going to try business management because I apparently already know all the mathematics well enough. My business mathematics teacher also put me up a level in classes so the good Algebra and Arithmetic grades are awesome news for me :D

It's going to be a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Electronics and Computers. I'm going to try to start a business. And if that doesn't work out, I'll have more than one thing to fall back on :p

EDIT:

This also means an extra 2 hours of classes a day but its Winter so work is done for now. I get to go back to work in May. Oh well. I post on AD during class anyway XD

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, enjoy learning about the science of power regulation. Inductance and Capacitance and their integral/differential properties...

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's great! I just got my SAT scores today too. 1930. Oh well.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

AFAIK, they won't go too in-depth on power regulation and such for Computer Theory. It's more like stuff that's almost second nature to someone like you or me. A+ is extremely basic, learning how to build and set your BIOS right and that kind of stuff. Computer theory is like the stuff we do every day. Overclocking(kinda, more like FSB/RAM/CPU/Bus speeds), RAM voltage control, power going to different slots, the exact use of each rail in a PSU and the like.

But I didn't really want advanced placement Electronics. I don't really care about all the exact mathematics and such. It's more of a basic(yet thorough-ish) course on electronic circuits, PCB construction, power consumption/throughput, batteries and the like. Boring AS HELL, but it'll be nice to know and something else to put on a resume. This college does their classes less about the exact sciences and more about employability skills, theory and real life applications. I don't want to go any further unless I think it'll help me get a better job in computers. And I don't wanna make them, I wanna build them XD

I'm really excited about my business degree though. That's where I really NEED to pay attention. I want to spend the rest of my life self-employed if I can help it.

That's pretty good. I got a 1700 so you have me beat pretty handily.

EDIT:

Yeah, I don't want to sound like I have no ambition but I can only handle so many hard classes in one 2 year degree :D

There's obviously way more to the classes and that's not all I'm taking but I don't want to explain, lol. The work load is about 50% lab and 50% books. The homework is easy enough. eh...

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Man, I wish computer science courses were like that over here, it's all electronics and programming. What I mentioned before is all in the first year of a BEng in Electronic Engineering, and to an extent also in BSc in Computer Science.

14. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey Ray, if you scale your images to 800 pixels wide, they'll fit better LOL I don't think the image looks all that bad - but where'd the wheels go! Navskin is right, just ignore boozer, he's hitting the sauce again LOL.

Sam, you upgraded to a 3008! WTF! What are you going to do with your 3007?

Estuansis - what'd you say? The highest scores in the history of your college!! WTF!! Yeah with the dough you'll be making you'll be able to afford the 30" sam just bought lol. Hey, I'm going to be tapping into your fsb knowledge for my overclocking.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah. Lots of people have scored higher than me in certain things, but nobody has ever broken 100 points on all 4 sections on the first try. I was pretty surprised too. I knew I was good in reading and writing, but the math scores blew my mind. I'm supposed to suck at math :D

I don't need a college education to help you OC. I can do that now :p

A lot of it is relearning what I already know, but a lot is going into further detail and expanding on that. The Computer Theory class is going to be interesting because a lot of the stuff is way above my current level of knowledge. It'll be interesting to see if what I think I know about computers is right :)

I'm hoping for 60-70k depending on my employment/job opportunities when I get out. It's almost guaranteed above 50K due to the degrees I'm getting. Who knows, maybe I'll get recruited by Falcon Northwest and build super high end systems for a living :D

Put it this way. I want a job where I don't have to take out any piercings XD

Oh, just saw this...

There are all kinds classes like that here. But it's technically a 2 year Tech School. I can go on to a real 4 year college afterward and pursue further education. But this college is more about giving you real world skills you can have and apply without being a social recluse. Programming? Screw that, I like to get out once in a while :p

The idea is you pick a field of expertise to go into and they set you up with the appropriate classes to do so. I wanted to start a business building computers, so they gave me classes to start and manage a business and classes to build computers professionally. I figure it leaves me with a few options so I'm not tied to one thing, but I can still do what I wanted to.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Piercings?

Now we REALLY need a pic! I always thought you looked like that anime guy in your sig haha

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

NO WAY. lol That's just my favorite anime character, Gene Starwind, from Outlaw Star. That's an amazing anime :D

No. I'm 6'3" 240lbs(I'm well built, but not muscular). I have blond, unrealistically curly hair that I can pick into an afro with bushy sideburns. Glasses and 5 earrings(i might take all but 1 out). 3 on my left and 2 on my right. All of them gunmetal grey with spikes. Not really that flashy.

I'm a smoker of tobacco and marijuana(willing to quit for a good job). I drink a couple times a year maybe. I enjoy camo BDUs and blue jeans with pastel colored shirts.

I'm currently wearing tiger-stripe camos with my favorite sky blue hoodie and a faded maroon-ish Bob Marley t-shirt underneath.

I have a chinchilla named Jake in my room and a Bichon Frise/Shi-Tsu mix named Rudy. He's a throwback with short hair so I got him half price. Besides, he attached himself to my heart the second I saw him XD

There. Enough of a description? I don't have a camera yet, so deal with it. I'm waiting until after my Christmas shopping is done for the year and Christmas is done :p

I might have one sooner though. I don't know really. I might be back welding at BDT as the cranberry marsh is done for the year. They told me to come back in the winter and see if they had a spot for me. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

That or borrow a cheap camera. You don't need a DSLR to take a pic you know ;)

Either way, we will see a pic soon enough I suppose.

19. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Yeah, I picked up on that piercings thing too - do I dare ask? Oh, earrings - I was beginning to wonder! Christine Aguilera had a bunch too, until a little kid fan got scared! LOL Bob Marley, Bob Marley - Yeah!! You're a big dude so you won't get any sh*t from me LOL.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've been trying to get my sisters for a few minutes so I can do it but I'm not about to steal it and she's being stubborn. I'll see what I can do but no promises.

Eh, had an eyebrow spike too but i got rid of it. It wasn't me.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for good easy listening. I like most kinds of music excluding rap, grindcore, and death metal. That's not music. It's bumps and screeches and constant cussing.

Only been in 3 fights and all three were started by the other guy and ended by me :D I'm not popular but people don't f*ck with me lol. It's cool though. I'm nice :)