1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 4870X2 manages about 45-60fps at 2560x1600 with 4xAA, so a 4850 should manage around 40-50fps at 1920x1200 with 2xAA perhaps.

2. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

If a motherboard is listed as having a slot for a PCI express x16 graphics card, will a PCI express 2.0 x16 work in that slot? Is that just a faster transfer rate or is it a different slot configuration altogether?
    thanks

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah it will work just fine.

4. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

Thanks.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A single card will anyway, for the most part. I tend not to recommend doing it with things like the HD4850 and HD4870 because they're not guaranteed to work, even though they usually do.

6. navskin

navskin Regular member

a friend just ask me if i would post a question for him because i am not sure of the answer. so here we go

would this upgrade be worth the money or not.

8600GTS >>>> 8800GTS 320MB

Or

8600GTS >>>> 9600GT 512MB

And how dose the 8800GTS compare to the 8800GTX

Here what i said, get an ati radeon 4850.But would he listen NO!

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Between an 8800GTS 320MB, and a 9600GT, the 9600 will be quite a bit faster. Seeing as 320MB GTSs are near extinct, I say go for the 9600GT.

An 8800GTS 320MB is like ~30% slower than an 8800GTX except in high res where it gets absolutely destroyed. And the 9600GT is like ~20% slower and holds up much better in high res.

Depending on his budget, a 4850 may be out of reach. A 9600GT would perform nicely in any decent rig and I wouldn't be ashamed to use one.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then get an HD4830 instead, it's still vastly better than either of those two cards. The 9600GT is much better than the 8800GTS 320MB, but both are significantly slower than the 8800GTX. However, if you're buying these cards new, you're wasting a lot of money, as the HD4670 can beat the 8800GTS 320MB and come quite close to the 9600GT, and costs $75. Neither of those nvidia cards will be anywhere near that cheap. The HD4830 mentioned is barely over $100, and will beat both of them.

9. Sweetman0

Sweetman0 Member

Ok well im not very good with Computers so i could use some help.I have a slimeline PC and the video card is very poor.Its a NIVIDA GEFORCE 6150 SE.I play world of warcraft wrath of the lich king and i can HARDLY play it.Its just awful.And i have ALLL my video setting all the way down and the shadows off.I want a video card that will put me up to exelent video settings and with shadows.About 200 dollars since this is for christmas.I need help because the video card needs to be smaller then the reg ones.And i dont know how to check if they can fit in my PC.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately you bought a slimline PC, so you can't play modern games at high detail. It really is that absolute I'm afraid, you can't buy a graphics card powerful enough to play games like that for slimline cases. While there are some cards that can pull it off, they require more power than your PC's standard power supply will be able to provide, so you will have to make extensive modifications to the system to run such a card. The best you can do is something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129106

However, this card is more than ten times slower than a full size card that costs the same amount, and you will still only be able to play games at low detail.

11. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey dudes,

I see that boozer had some good food stuff that he had to chuck over to greenies tasty bites thread - hahahaha. Some stuff called barfi or something - just kidding booze! Covered in silver because booze used to be rich or something. Hahaha. You have several hundred acres in Pakistan!! That's a good sized ranch dude!!

Hey where'd the moderator dude come from - I thought shaff said this was a protected-from-moderator thread! lol

I see I've been gone for 3 weeks. Thanksgiving relatives and all.

You're all going to laugh your asses off, but I did finally buy a widescreen lcd. No, sam, not the 3807 after all, (or was that the 3708?). Not the 2408 like estuansis, not even the 2208. I finally settled on the 1908 hahaha. The reason is that I multiplied 1440x900 and found it was 98% of 1280x1024 which is the crt resolution at which my 3850 was playing cod4 smoothly. So now I'm basking in the brightness of lcd widescreen - and what the hell have I been waiting for ALL THESE YEARS!!!

I decided not to get anything bigger for now because from listening to all you dudes, it seems much better to just run in native res if you can. But I changed ati tray tools to show me cpu and gpu% utilization on the osd, and cpu is about 95% of my 3.2 ghz p4, and gpu is about 65% on my 3850. So I turned all the cod4 settings up and most of the beauty of the image is there now, but not AA. I guess I should try the 4xAA since I am still cpu bound, not gpu bound. Yeah I'll do that tomorrow.

So I have been having some idyllic kill sessions on cod4. On the just in time server, which plays to 2400 points, I had a dreamy smooth opfor 2 hour session with one other notorious sprayer, on the bog map. We took our 8 man team to close victory over the marines. We just barely beat the little white-suited guys by about 100 points - I thought they would catch up at the end. Usually bog is dark - some dudes play with night vision. But the LCD is so bright - no prob seeing all those little white enemies wherever they lurked. I gave up perk 2 stopping power for juggarnaut after a friend, Kyle, told me about it. Tested the two classes against each other - the jugg is great because you don't die so easily from random grenades or bomb runs, or off-target bullets - but without the stopping power you have to spray the p90 better and longer - but like I say it was just so smooth with the 3850, strafing side to side, killing most of the time, running like hell when I really got into trouble. They ended up so po*d off they were running after me 3 at a time - I was laughing out loud as they finished me off! Hahaha.

If I am better than 1 to 1, then I am way ahead for my skill level - I finished up at about 42 kills, 32 deaths. It was a nice night. Number two on the team.

I know, you're laughing like hell, my stupid p4 at just under 5000 3d marks and my little 19" widescreen. But a small step for mankind, and a big step for terrorism. Just kidding western civilization - it's just a game! LOL!! (I'm warming up for the new build - probably still a year away.)
    -Rich

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

haha Good to see you and your long essays back ;)

It's a few thousand acres actually haha.

also don't forget to contribute to the Food Thread. Look a page or so back and you can see pics of the pie I MADE! lol

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually the upscaling on the 3008 is so good, all resolutions look good, and I'd certainly take very minor image degradation on a big screen over having to use a tiny screen.

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I dunno. I used the 17" Sceptre for like a year and a half and it served me well. Maybe you have a better monitor but it's also 6x more expensive ;P

15. navskin

navskin Regular member

qick question
    would using another GFX card for physx be a boost in frame rates on crysis and other games that have physx?

i just bought an XFX 8800GTS 320MB as a friend has one now and i like the proformce that i gives out ans HD4850 was out of my price range.

I would be using an XFX 8600GTS XXX edition 256mb for physx card.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I discussed this before. PhysX will decrease your graphics performance as it adds effects to render, and you can't SLI an 8600 with an 8800, all the cards have to be identical. Also, the 9600GT is far superior to the 8800GTS 320MB and probably would have worked out cheaper.

17. spamual

spamual Guest

Sam u don't need Sli for use of another card for physics. He can use the 8600 for a physics card but crysis don't support it. Ut3 does

18. navskin

navskin Regular member

thanks spamual for the answer.

@sam
    i got my card brand new in the box from aria and i got cheape because they said that i would get a free company of heros game and i didnt so i got the card for the price that there supplyer sells to them to aria at. SO i got the card for a grand total of £45 witch is a bargin.

thanks

graham

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice work, I'm starting to veer off Aria now as they're shipping is failing to be next day on regular occasions, and they hide extra shipping costs to catch out people who aren't paying full attention.
    £45 is not bad for an 8800GTS 320MB, but it certainly isn't worth much more than that.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah but for that price it's about bang-for-buck. I think it was a good buy. The 8800GTS 320MB is still a quick and competitive card considering its age. Mine was certainly a pleasant surprise performance-wise. The only game one would have trouble with is maybe Crysis or Far Cry 2. Everything else is reasonable at quite high settings with a decent res. I'd say up to 1680 x 1050 is doable.

And if you can get some good deals, the cards are definitely worth it for SLI. 2 320MB GTS cards will match many faster cards. They'll challenge an HD4850 at least. Crap Nvidia mobo chipsets or not, it's a cheap option that will give satisfying performance in the long run.