1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

I agree that most of the time it is not a problem. But I have used more than 4gb while playing a few different games. The real reason I want to upgrade is that if I get another set of memory I can run both 4gb sets at ddr2 1000. Right now I am only running at ddr2 800.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

WHOA MAMMA!!! I just minimized GTA IV and noticed im using 80% of my ram(4GB)! Good thing im going for 8 soon. But whats a better idea? 2 sticks of 4gb, or 4 sticks of 2gb? Keeping OC'ing in mind.

Loving this game by the way. It hasnt dropped below 45frames, and averages closer to 55 at 1680 Res! I think im in love LOL!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

2x4gb sets are still really expensive. I would just get another 2x2gb set.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have to go for the full set of 4 X 2gb. Cause im currently running 6400, and the processor/board really do want the 1066. Though I must admit, for OC'ing and how smooth its running, I hardly need to. But I love experimenting Sooo...:D

Ive been looking at some Mushkin :D Probably next week.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My X1900XT is not just going strong, it's running right now, in my fileserver. It's played Left 4 Dead at 1680x1050 res...
    4x2GB sets might really harm your CPU's stability running an AMD, it's hard to say what effect it will have. It certainly impacts overclocking for Intels.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thats EXACTLY why I was asking. What would you do in my situation? Wish I had more money. Then I could just buy 16 GB(4 X 4GB) see how it runs both ways. :D

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only 4GB sticks I've seen so far are dire OCZ PC6400 ones. I'd wait until some proper memory turns up, or bite the bullet with 8GB. Without trying it, it's hard to say what effect it'll have.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Darn it. Mushkin doesnt have 4gb modules. At least the egg doesnt carry them :(

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2x4GB is only available in PC6400, and only produced by Kingston and OCZ, two manufacturers I would rather not use anyway. Kingston aren't too bad, but OCZ are a terrible memory manufacturer. They never were before, but times change.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Guess at current, its a trade off. Do you want speed or capacity LOL! Definitely not into MORE 800 modules when I wanna play with 1066! I guess im gonna end up getting 4 X 2gb, and crossing my fingers, that it doesnt hinder the OC. And if it does, no big deal. The CPU is pretty fast even underclocked. It smokes the 5200 athlon without breaking a sweat! LOL!
    Didnt realize they were so expensive!!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134864

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah the OCZs were a lot cheaper than that in the UK (about $160) but that was only a trial batch, they have yet to produce any more.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man, very big thanks! This little utility is one of the best things ive installed yet. Thank you MUCH!!! It has some other abilities that im enjoying A LOT!!! Now im gonna entice my brother to buy the PS3(He's a Playstation fanboy). He likes GTA as well. Figure I'll send him some screenies :D

13. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Lol gonna play that game with my sis who thinks Assassins Creed on PS3 is the best game ever (its not obv.) but gonna send her backwards when she sees graphs on comp by comparison :).

My HD4850 does that when I'm flicking about between windows it only occurs on Le Mans and flicking doesn't affect any other races in any other way (probably doesn't mean anything but there you go).

I'm gonna give it a bash anyway the cards only setting me back £25 ($36) also I want to try that unreal tournament thing and generally outdo my mate at something.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

GTA IV has me laughing harder than I thought possible! The way Nico died recently had me just ROLLING!!! Now ive been finding new ways to die LOL! Fraps is awesome for saving the more funny ones. VERY happy guy here! The 260, the Phenom II, the Raptor, etc. are working above and beyond what I expected!!! HIGH, HIGH, HIGH, VERY HIGH settings and averaging 45-50 Fps @ 1920 Res! Though there may be other settings im overlooking. It looks SUPER sharp! Very minimal stutters. Im gonna be happy for quite some time!

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

And rightly it should be. The X1900XT is a powerful, fully featured card. I wouldn't be surprised to see it play a lot of new games with decent settings. If I were still using my 17" monitor, I might have gotten one and would still probably be using it somewhere. My X1800XT was the same way. I was playing Episode 2, Far Cry 2 and Oblivion quite happily with it. Far Cry 2 at medium/high-ish settings of course :p

It's one of my favorite programs. I keep it on 24/7 because I'm an FPS ***** :p

Then it must be a problem directly with the game. That makes me feel better, I thought I had a dying card! lol

Well if you can get it to work, more power to you. Personally though, I think it's a waste of time and money.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ho ho!!! went from 40 to 60% on the fan speed and decreased the temp almost 10C at idle! VERY nice. It is audibly more noticeable, but its within reason. And when im gaming, I dont see why I cant tell it more speed too. I generally like my movies and games loud LOL! my current GPU temps are:
    31C memory
    32C ambient
    38C GPU
    It may have effected other temps as well. It is a big card after all LOL! :D Im running 182.50 Nvidia driver, and 2.24 Rivatuner of course :) Oddly, my clock speeds are not showing accurately. I read that somewhere else recently too. Ehhh...im not into OC'ing this badboy yet. Its performing too well to need to. I just bumped up a few more GTA settings too. See how it effects it.

17. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Ah hah! Yes, now that you mention it, the test beds that were running the gta4 at 2560x1600 were all 6 gig i7 setups - very interesting!!

Over the last couple days and forum pages, you've mentioned 8 gigs again. Are ya gonna do it Sam, and if so will you ever get your overclock back up near 3.9?

Hey Sam, and Jeff, and the rest of you GTA fanatics, especially Omega (Kevin) who's in love now with his 260 hot rod gta4 machine, I recently thought I heard that the San Andreas game was also ported to the PC (I think.) If GTA4 actually ends up running halfway decent, (if the i7 ever gets built - still no pay check yet) would San Andreas also be worth picking up?

Estuansis, I know what you meant a few days ago about neglecting a gaming machine. When I had two that were pretty comparable, I found myself at one time playing most of my Condition Zero on the slightly slower one - JUST BECAUSE I COULD - without being able to tell the difference with that game - and also because I thought the slower rig missed me :D

(Jeff, you've got to start dating again - we BOTH do - or you'll continue to dream about graphics cards - and - have more sleepness nights ranting about the high-quality of Dell products (amen) - and - the next thing you know you'll be living in a very comfortable place with lots of padding EVERYWHERE!!)
    Hahahaha!

Rich

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I still like GTA SA quite a bit :) It was worth the money I paid. I must admit though, I haven't played it since I got my new card. This sucker and GTA IV are like soul mates! LOL! But then, ALL of my hardware is pretty high end. I heard that the CPU runs most of it. Give me a few minutes. I have an idea.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Heres a screeny of well...im sure you recognize it LOL! The SECOND high peak, is when I enter a police vehicle, and begin a high speed chase ending with some rocket mayhem LOL! Quite the fancy suicide might I add LOL! I shot a rocket directly in front of my feet. It launched me back a ways LOL! Most settings are HIGH, while a few are Very high.
    [​IMG]

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

GTA SA is also a direct console port but it's a port of the Xbox version, so it is much more forgiving with PC hardware. If you can play any recent games well at all, San Andreas will run just fine maxed. Your system is actually pretty capable of running it as-is. Stop acting like you can't handle any games. Lots of the new releases are quite forgiving on older hardware. Crysis/Warhead, Dirt and GTA4 are the only really bad ones as of yet.

I found the same thing occurred with my HD4870s. Turning up the fan speed to 30% constant brought my temps from mid 50s idle and mid 80s load to mid 40s idle and mid 60s load. More audible than stock but not bad seeing I consider my systems pretty low-noise. Luckily, I was able to do this with Crossfire too. I really needed it then!

Mine is folding again as well as torrenting so it doesn't feel like such a waste anymore XD I love both of my machines equally and have invested much time and money into both of them.

LOL as of now my computers are my girlfriends. I'm such a player XD

But seriously, I do have friends with "benefits". It's just that last time I dated my heart was ripped out and stomped into mush on pavement with high heels XDDD I do plan to date again. But for now, I have college, work, and many many games to occupy my time. My lifestyle is that of a PC gamer ATM and nothing else XD

Very nice. It looks like it's taking thorough advantage of your quad core. Isn't the 940 Black Edition kick ass?! I know I love mine :)