1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What size feet do you have?
    The SG-01 is nowhere near the size of a shoebox, and IIRC the SG-02 is bigger still.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

SG02 is the same sixe as SG01

edit size 11 feet

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually it's the same but 7mm wider :p

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

oh my 7mm, its HUGE!!!

:p :p: P

HAHA

5. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Shaff, you're back!! Well, while you were gone, down under Rubix Cube got started as the nehalem guinea pig, with the same chip 920, and almost the same board DFI H6 (I'll be getting the H8) as me.

Hey Rubbix, what's your clock on the 920 - NEVER MIND - YOU'RE AT 4.0 WOW!!!

Way to go rubbix, you're my hero. That will be my goal as well - the magic 4.0. (My paycheck has hope - the office administrator called and she said - "there's no escrow instructions in this package of forms" so at least that's progress after two weeks, lol.) I sure hope it fully stabilizes for you. With Sam's help, like the FSB guidance on increasing NB voltage, we should be able to get there.

Hey, does your DFI have all those bios profiles you can save - I'm sure it does. It seems like one would want to save a non-overclocked bios for non-gaming applications, and then switch to the max stable overclock before loading a particularly cpu-intensive game (like gta4.) And there could be some other profiles in between - I think one can save 5 bios profiles as I recall. Or does the DFI board already have auto demand stepping like the gigabyte boards? - for some reason I don't think so.

A shuttle pc? I've got some reading to do, never heard of it. Sounds a little easier to take to the Frag Socs than the water rig.

Why do the words: "banned again" come to mind? ---- Muhahahahaha!! -------- JUST KIDDING!!

Rich

6. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Yeah it has profiles, but I'm not using them. I keep it oc'd 24/7. It's stable now, but I'm still deliberating whether to turn HT back on or not. I've seen a lot of forums on the web with people hitting high 70's temps during load testing, so there can't be anything wrong with those kind of figures IMHO.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

WOW! Nice job on 4GHz. Very excellently balanced and pieced out rig. I'm impressed :)

8. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Why thankyou :) although my sig is lying until early next week - my gtx275s are in the mail. So i'm still using my old 8800gtx for now lol.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, I updated my sig rather prematurely as well. Though in a few hours, i'll have my Ram :D

10. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Kevin, your latest sig is nice - the Omega photo-shopped well!

Rubix, are you talking about hyperthreading?

If that's what you're talking about, before you turn it on, why don't you bench something, like superpi or whatever, then turn it on, and if your overclock is not affected, see if you get better performance figures with it on.

From what I have read, most say just leave it on, but you must have had a good reason for turning it off.

Rich

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Performance gain with HT enabled depends on the application being tested.

12. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Is it a good idea to start the overclock with HT turned off?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No idea, I haven't really researched what effect this has. I'd probably run with HT off anyway, it seems to be beneficial to turn it off for games.

14. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

HT off generally gives better stability at lower voltages, and for me about 10c less temps at load. Start overclocking with it ON, get it stable, watch the temps carefully, and if you think they are too high, turn it off and drop your voltage a little bit - it will still run stable but much cooler. I turned it off because I thought 80c on a load test was too hot - turns out its not, but I don't really want my chip getting that hot anyway. Plus I don't do video encoding/graphics etc, and sammorris said in a previous post that HT can negatively affect some games. If you are getting the DFI H8, and a core i7 920 you will hit 4.0ghz with ease. If it's a d0 stepping you should even be able to hit a bit higher with the same voltage I'm using. I have 1.375v CPU, 1.24v VTT and they are the only one's I've changed. Plus of course bclk 200mhz, QPI multi 36x, ram multi 8x, uncore multi 16x (2x ram or 2x +1, my board set it automatically when I changed the ram)
    Just make sure you have damn good cooling. TRUE120 with push/pull, noctua nhu12p, or a coolermaster v10. Or of course water.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks buddy :) Now I just gotta figure out why 4 modules dont wanna run @1066! Perhaps for my rig, size is the trade off, ehh? I must admit, it does run quite well at 800 spec. Or should I say 848 ;)(212Fsb, 16.5Multi)

16. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

what voltage have you got it on? and command rate? 1T or 2T?

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

18. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Thanks for the info, Rubbix. That's great material - those recommendations went straight into my new build notes.

Maybe you and Sam can help get Kevin's memory running to spec.

Also, thanks for the other info - I didn't know there was a d0 stepping to watch out for on the 920. (As I recall, on the Q6600 the latest best stepping was the G0, versus the earlier B7 I think it was. But the G0 ran 10 degrees cooler - so it was well worth it on ebay auctions to bid for that chip particularly.)

I wonder if that's why microcenter has a bunch of 920s at only $229, whereas on newegg they're $50 more than that - perhaps microcenter has a bunch of the older stepping. If so, would you suggest that the newer d0 stepping would be worth the extra $50? I have read that newegg won't guarantee the stepping, but I could read through the reviews and see which chip people are being shipped.

Yes, I understand that good cooling is ultra critical. Of the cooling solutions you suggest, I am planning on using the TRUE, push-pull if there is room. The fabulous hardware cannucks DFI review showed a great east/west orientation with push-pull, which I believe doesn't block any memory modules.

[​IMG]
    But as you can see on the left of the photo, that requires a slight mobo offset from the top of the case to accomodate hsf mobo overhang. The spedo is still in its box so I don't know if there is a sufficient mobo/case gap for that configuration.

If not, north/south works, leaving memory slots 2/4/6, which is all I need for 6 gigs ram, but I believe I read that there is room for only one fan in that configuration.

I'm planning to buy a freezone TRUE already lapped for an extra $19, and hopefully there won't be any heatpipe holes - they say it comes with no warranty. Eventually I might lap the 920 itself - I think estuansis lapped his older chips - I don't know about his new phenom. I know I'd void the 3 year warranty - but it's easier to do that on a $229 investment than on a $1000 investment. The chip would have to prove that it was rock solid of course before I would try that.

Rich

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  19. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Looks like you will have absolutely plenty of room. See here. Heaps of space between the top of the case and where the motherboard ends.

Yea, the d0 stepping started manufacturing in early march as far as I know, so in the US I'm pretty sure they should be basically everywhere now. Over in aus, I personally got a c0 stepping because we are behind the times :( The S-spec code on the box of a d0 stepping should be SLBEJ, whereas a c0 stepping will be SLBCH.

I looked at the newegg reviews, and yesterday it seems someone posted and they got a d0, so I like your chances.
    Edit: but then again, I read the review directly under that, and a guy bought two - one was c0 and the other d0. Hmm :S

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I run a multiplier-locked intel system I can't help I'm afraid. I don't have the option to run my RAM any higher than 920mhz without cutting my CPU to 3.5Ghz, and we all know that's not going to happen :p

Rich: The latter Q6600s ran cooler as they cut the TDP with them. The old B3 was 105W, the new G0 was 95W. As far as I'm aware, no such change has been made to the i7 with D0, a shame as it uses more power than even the B3 Q6600. An i7 920 actually uses as much power as two Q9300s.
    Realistically, the push-pull arrangement of the TRUEs doesn't seem too effectual, as there's interference with the rear case fan.