1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

damn, very nice product, does it have a fan inside it? if not we could use lowe powered quiet PSUs and one of those for very powerfull setups :)

time to find reviews

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Dual front intake fans :D I updated my last post.

3. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Wait! Shaff!!

You've got all that stuff in your sig, including that 850watt psu, in a shoe box!! And you're driving two monitors? WFT!

You know, I thought the same thing at one time - ceiling fan as intake. But Sam said No No No. Also his north south blowing the air up toward the top would also seem to suggest ceiling exhaust - and even the east west blowing the air out the lower back exhaust - sam says the ceiling intake would short circuit with the upper back exhaust which makes sense. Anyway, your point about testing is a good idea - I can always try it both ways.

So no copper. Okay, that's a relief. I was gearing up for the sound of the DFI splitting in two, haha. No, actually, I am sure I could support it. I could bolt something to the top of the TRUE and run rods vertically and horizontally, and support the TRUE at its head - I don't see why not. But, I'll save that for next time - regular TRUE for this time.

What about lapping the TRUE - crazypc only charges $20. I might as well, eh? That way, if I ever lapped the 920, I'd already have half the job done. I know you guys, Sam and Shaff, you don't run lapped cpus, but that's another 4 degrees, right?

Anyway, anybody see anything wrong with getting the TRUE lapped?

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

mmm wonder if its loud? if at all.

wonder if yuo would be the guinneipig (sp) for us and test it :D

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

every degree helps :)

also i would love to lap my CPU till it hit the dies, and i may do, in this shoebox PC every degree deffinately helps, i may send it in for some pro lapping or do it my self, though right now rent is the biggest priority :D lol!

well i would think that the exhaust top fan would interfere with an exhaust rear as the air would be like, "WTF where do i go?!" lol, where as form the intake at the top, throught the CPU and out of the back, (and over the VRMs)

:)

and oh yesh, loads of power in a shoebox FTW :D

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I just may. LOL! The 450W appears to be in the required power range. And it is getting pretty good reviews. I wouldn't mind paying 90 just for testing purposes. I see a lot of potential behind this technology :D

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

hell if it works for you, i hope i find it in the UK and ill sell up my PSU, shell out like £30-£40 for a small PSU and get one of thsoe aswell.

8. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Yeah, Kevin, I agree with Shaff, it doesn't sound bad at all!

Actually I thought I had heard something about "two power supplies" a long time ago - maybe a year ago. Maybe this is what they meant.

So you run a separate plug out the back of the case, but it receives a power signal through the 4 pin molex from the main psu, and turns on that way. Makes sense to me!

If it tended to be a little loud, you could probably sound-proof it inside that drive bay (leaving the fan inlet uncovered of course.)

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yeah, Im gonna go for it. Gonna have to wait a few weeks though. Gonna have to gather up some funds LOL! Unfortunately, my job isn't paying much. Though I do computer side projects for multiple people. ;)

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the soon to be released 4770 with a 40nm proccess and 640SP, GDDR5 and a 128 bit interface comes to about 5% of the 4850,and this costs $99 where as the 4850 costs $139.99.

idle power consumption is the sameish, but load is drastically lower.

stomps right over the 9800GT which is its priced rival.

i think ATI are onto a winner, now come on Nvidia drop the price of the GTS250 to 99$ and watch the sales flood in :)

11. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

For $65 I should have bought that instead of changing out my power supply the last time for the 3850.

I'm going to buy a little extra power this time, but it's nice to know that something like this is around if you later need just a bit more. They say that power supplies eventually fade out due to capacitor aging.

Anyway, Kevin, how did you ever find the thing?

Sam, I took a note of those new Kaze Jyuni fans you are thinking of picking up - you're saying more cfm per db even than the scythe s-flex? Very interesting!

Yeah Shaff, initially I was all over the idea of ceiling intake. I will definitely have to do some testing. If I tried the east/west and was able to fit push-pull that way, then if sam were right about the short circuiting, I could maybe prevent that by fashioning a duct and blowing the top intake directly down on the vrms.

[​IMG]

As shown, on the Hardware Canucks open bench, when they added a fan blowing down on the northbridge pwm, it made a huge difference in temps - here's the chart, it was 20 degrees.

I will have two side door fans for the upper cpu section, and that's all. Standard is 4 exhausts if you include the exhaust behind the mobo. The front single intake will probably be directed toward the gpu compartment - they have a sliding fan rack and I could blow that toward the motherboard, but that leaves me a bit weak on inlet air for the gpu section (well, I do have two more side inlets for that part, plus a bottom - so maybe I'll be okay.)

Shaff - new board with 40nm process, 4770. Does that mean a new family of boards coming soon?? Isn't the current at 55nm - isn't 40nm a huge leap!!

Rich

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Its been a while, but I think I ran a search for "independent Power supply" on a http://www.google.com/products Search. Its kind of like Price grabber, only using google. QUITE handy! :)

13. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hmmmm. Good job. Google is coming out with all kinds of stuff - their own browser. Somebody said - their own OS??

The battle of the giants, lol.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL. They also have another kind of search. You can find just about anything with the filter shut off too ;) http://images.google.com/

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes they do, two very small, very loud fans. Also, if they're 450 watts I'll <insert something silly here>,
    The fact that your PSU is undervolting as much as it is suggests the PSU is going to become a big problem later one. Don't bother spending all this money on getting around the problem, just buy a decent power supply to start with, with only one GTX260 in your system a 400W Corsair CX would actually power it, that should show you how badly the OCZ is performing.
    Remember, 450W is only the requirement for a PSU to run the whole system, not just the graphics card. The GTX260 itself will draw no more than 150W or so.
    Ultimately, one better PSU is ALWAYS a better bet than two. Fewer weak links for stability, guaranteed quality control, lower noise, and even lower cost.

Rich: I don't remember completely banhammering the concept of top intake. For a start when I only had an 80mm top fan in the Lexa that's what I used. For a standard configuration though with normal X2 heatsinks, that's the best way to do it as the side fan(s) need to be intake. If the GPUs were switched to be internal-exhaust coolers like the Arctic Accelero Extreme, the side fans would be turned to be exhaust, and the top fan converted to intake.
    Realistically, I never saw the point in lapping CPUs or coolers. Lapping a cooler fair enough, as what have you got to lose, not only are heatsinks cheap, they also tend not to go wrong. Lapping a CPU though, I wouldn't want to do it, just in case. Ultimately, you're shaving a pretty small temperature off the CPU unless the CPU and cooler have been lapped together so the surfaces mate properly, but realistically, that's what thermal paste is for, to fill the gaps between the uneven surfaces...

Shaff: Asking nvidia for a price drop is like asking a lazy student to do their homework. Only at the last minute, when it's absolutely necessary, will you see any degree of co-operation.

Rich: The extra graphics PSUs have been around for years. They came out as a stopgap for when SLI was first being touted with the 6800 series (that's right, around the era the X850 had just been released), and before 500,600,700 Watt PSUs were commonplace in the market. The fact they've lasted in most people's builds is probably because they're so under-loaded. People think graphics cards draw more power than they do. Remember all the bay PSU can do is provide the power that runs to the PCI-E connectors. A lot of the power a graphics card uses runs via the PCI express slot, which still has to come from the main Power supply. Even with a GTX260, the extra PSU is perhaps taking 70 or 80W extra off. That's about it.
    The extra fan on the PWMs is something I considered as they do get hot on the Maximus II, but then thought better of it as realistically, the temperature isn't actually an issue, it doesn't create any problems, it's just a number sitting there. Once again, PWM temps are something that have slammed down since moving to a better room.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Well the pcie slot gives 75w, and each 6 pin gives 75w aswell, and by puttng 2 pcie 6 pin connected I'd assume the draw from them is goign to be over 75w, possibly 100-130. Anywho it'd be nice to see some real world testing of them :). They are made by a very reputable company.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, 75W is the theoretical maximum. As far as I'm aware slot power takes preference over connector power until it is overburdened, at which point the connector takes over. Ultimately, short of plugging two 4870X2s into it, there's no way of getting more than 300W load out of that thing, and if you do that, you're drawing almost as much through the slot as a GTX260 uses in total in the first place...

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah that's the general idea. The cards draw almost completely from the slot until they are being used. And the real power usage of most cards is not going to be anywhere near 450W. I'm running my entire system with an OC'd 125W quad core and 2 high end cards with 2 HDDs, a DVD-RW, a floppy, 2 sticks of RAM plus several odd peripherals and lights off a 620W PSU. Don't tell me you need a separate PSU just for your video cards.

Though back in the day of the 6800s SLI wasn't even worth it to begin with. Most times the gains were next to nothing even at high res. 2 X850s though is a different story. In the games it worked with Crossfire was already showing 80%+ scaling. Crossfire was just better from the get-go.

This coming from a fan of both ATi and Nvidia :p

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yup, and I managed an overclocked 95W Q6600 with a 4870X2 and three HDDs with no issues off a 520W HX.
    Agreed on the SLI scaling, CF had it better from the get go, but it was only with the HD series that they used internal bridge connectors than external DVI links.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL @ the external links. What a bother. The number one reason I never tried Crossfire with my X1800XT. The performance was right up there though or so I've read. Agreed that it didn't really become useful until the HD cards though.

Nvidia also had it working a lot better and more reliably with the Geforce 7 series. Especially the lower end cards. My friend with the SLI 8800GTS 640s used to have SLI 7600GTs. The scaling was quite good on a lot of games. A few saw close to double. Crossfire was still more stable and scaled a bit better though.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009