1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was beginning to wonder what you meant, but of course I'd forgotten, I can't believe DFI still use those... I would also recommend making damn sure they're connected.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Floppy connectors? What would FDD connectors have to do with a GPU?

The power connector that is LOL

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Because DFI motherboards use floppy drive power connectors in addition to the standard ATX 24-pin +4/8 pin and PCIe connectors.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...that just seems goofy! But then, im still pretty green LOL! Im sure there is some logical reason for it.

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL I have adapters all over in my case. PCI-E, FDD, etc. Thank goodness for wire management or it would look horrible. I should try for another PCI-E six pin lead from Corsair. Wonder if they'd give me one...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have a million fan adapter, but nothing else :p

7. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

OK well, I swapped the card positions, the power connectors, plugged in those floppy connectors.... and... it still freezes. In that exact same spot. So, I have a theory.

Directx 10/Fallout3 doesn't like sli gtx275s yet - driver problem. This is supported by the fact that I can play half life 2 perfectly fine, and it is directx 9. And, I can play fallout3 with sli disabled, and it works just fine. Its not the cards because I have swapped them.

Im going to see if crysis works.

8. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Phew, definately just a fallout3 sli problem by the looks. Crysis dx10, all settings very high, hits 600w power consumption - doesn't break a sweat.
    Estuansis, I hope you aren't using any dual molex to single 6 pin converters! When my buddy bought his gtx275 the guy behind the counter said he's seen them light on fire lol

Edit: Ok scrap that. It works if I continue playing, but I paused the game, and when I came back 5 minutes later, it was frozen, at around 360w again. It's like when it goes down to idle, it just doesn't recover from that point. Any further ideas? It COULD still be a combination of dx10 and these cards in sli... coz crysis is dx10 too..
    Oh and it isn't the overclock either. Tried with all stock settings, still the same result :S

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That wouldn't surprise me. Cheap molex adapters are known to arc because of the frankly pathetic quality of the wiring, and that's just with 0.2A fans. When you're drawing 4 or 5 Amps down the cable, they're positively lethal.

10. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Any ideas on my problem? :(

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Have you tried fallout and crysis without dx10 in sli?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thing is, if it was DX10 to blame, the fault is either with DX10 itself, or the drivers, and given that the latter has been disproven (supposedly), I'm not sure.
    The cards definitely BOTH work fine on their own, right?

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Actually I am. The ones that came with the cards. I've had them going for ~9 months without issue. Wiring quality is more of a concern than the actual use of the adapter. And the adapters are of good quality. So far no problems, so I see no need to worry. If it does happen, that means I need a new PSU.

BTW I am contacting Corsair today to see if they can send me a second PCI-E lead for free or a small fee. It's just better for my wire management honestly. I wouldn't need all of my molex leads plugged in if I actually HAD a second PCI-E cable. They're mostly there just to power my second card :p

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  14. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Yep they definately work on their own, but I'll test again and see how it goes. For now I have to go to work for 8 hours though :(

15. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

I LOVE NVIDIA! New drivers out - 185.81 beta, fixed everything :) Fallout3 doesn't freeze in that spot, and everything is super peachy. Thanks for all your help guys :)

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So you love nvidia because they produced two bad drivers that couldn't run any games in SLI. Call me what you like, but I'm not quite so forgiving.
    Esstuansis: A SECOND PCie cable? The 620HX comes with two 6->6/8 anyway?

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i told you to use those drivers didnt i :D

(dont worry abotu sam, hes an ATI fanboy :p)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have no more sympathy for ATI than nVidia, as they produced two completely unusable driver sets as well, 9.1 and 9.2.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Mine actually came with one PCI-E lead with one 6 pin and one 6/8 pin. The other 12v leads are molex. I can drop a molex lead if I can get another PCI-E lead as it's just dedicated to graphics power. I have two cards and both have 2 PCI-E sockets on them. So I need 4, hence a second lead.

I don't know if newer ones are coming with the second PCI-E cable or what, but mine came with one.

BTW, just tested my 600W StealthXStream on my friend's new 9800GTX+ SLI setup. With a molex to PCI-E converter of course. Handles them just fine :)

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So it should, you should be able to run two 9800GTX+s off a 500W PSU. :)