1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm currently playing GTA IV on (XP). The other 2 times that I installed it were on windows 7. Figured I would jump right into the testing. And well...I think it ran better on windows 7 than it does Xp. I think it has to do with Direct X 10. But I know so little about these things. Is it possible, that the stuttering im seeing on XP, is caused by my running an older API(Direct X 9.0C)? There have been a few other bugs, nothing serious, but it gives windows 7 another thumbs up :D

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Sure thing oman7. Probably won't pick it up for a while, lots of other games to play first and very little time (I'm sure we all know that feeling lol).

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

4. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

After recently playing Burnout paradise on party pack (kickass BTW) I was wondering what other PC games have split screen/party mode. Anyone know of any good ones? I've found old lists on the internet but this gives no clue as to how old/good the games are...

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

football (soccer) games

6. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I just was about to edit my post to say that aren't football games because they're shoddy

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

:O fifa 09 is FANTASTIC!

8. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL! Best picture ever...
    Keith: Wholeheartedly agreed. They're just dull. I'd easily take Wii Sports, Table Tennis or PGA Tour golf over a football game.

10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

u boring people :p

12. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey Krj, that WAS funny - "Do you like video games - buy a PC." Or, ...... "no you don't, and you don't have friends, buy a ps3."

Shaff, owning a PS3, didn't find that amusing.

On another note - those mosaics are interesting, Kevin - you say that each "pixel" is made up of a satellite image?? Hmmmm.

And on a final note - forget what I said about L4D being able to be played on my dell 610 laptop which outperforms my p4 playing movie trailers. Does anybody remember Max Payne bullet time - well cut that in half - I would guess 3 fps. But the opening video played perfect - and was frightening as hell as per usual. So I'll leave it installed for a bit just to play the opening video for random unsuspecting innocents. Hahaha

Kevin, you don't have to go to the store - L4d is $39.99 on steam - just pay for it and they'll download all 5 gigs.

Rich

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Too late. I bought it at walmart today for 29.99 :) I had to pick up some stuff anyway.

Yes, one or more of the pictures utilized space imagery for the Tiles. Unfortunately, when compressed/downsized multiple times, the tiles are not very forgiving. Depending on pixel width allowed for the tiles. Im enjoying it a great deal though. And im playing with more settings now too.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...your probably gonna laugh, but I can't seem to configure the controller, or the keyboard for that matter, to allow the guy to TURN right and left. So far, the mouse is the only way he'll turn! Strafing is doable, but I cant seem to configure Turning! Im sorry, but Im very spoiled to a controller. I will however attempt the keyboard/mouse.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow! Pretty short lived game(Left 4 Dead). I beat it in 2:47 Minutes! OBVIOUSLY designed more with multi-player in mind. I think I should give it another run through though, before I take on more skilled people online LOL :D

It had me laughing a great deal. Call me Sadistic, but seeing someone in distress, or hearing unearthly creature screams, make me laugh hard! LOL

Let me clarify. The way Bill, shouted for "help", I Couldn't help but smile and laugh. And the idea, that im a helpless old man LOL!

Has anyone completed ALL achievements? The only one ive completed so far, is the "Brain Salad."

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's because, basically, he bought the PS3 for one game, much the same as I probably will when the one game I want that's PS3 exclusive comes out. First and foremost though, I want to get myself a Wii. I know it's £180 for an overclocked Gamecube, but that's irrelevant, on the merits of what it can do, it's almot worth it's asking price (not quite, I'd say £120-£130 is more reasonable)
    Rich: The opening movie isn't game-rendered, it's a 720p film clip rendered using DivX or similar I believe.
    Omega: You completed all four campaigns in 2 hours 47 minutes? That's pretty impressive, but trust me, turn the difficulty above easy, it'll take you a lot longer as you can't just blast through it without a care in the world.
    There is no need for PC FPS games to have control stick support because it's just too much of a skill gap. Any idiot with a keyboard & mouse can flatten a joypad veteran. Either use Xpadder, or learn to play PC games properly :p
    I have about 50 of the achievements. I don't expect it's too hard to guess which ones I haven't got :p

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Yeah sams right. I basically bought it for god of war 3. If anyone plays the first 2 they'll understand why! And also I was getting bored for the lack of good footy games on the pc, instead of porting the next gen versions they ported the ps2 version.... And soon after streeet fighter 4 came out :D

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have absolutely no objection with someone owning a current gen console, there are a lot of things they can do that PCs can't. However, on merits alone, there's a hell of lot more (for me) that the 360 has that the PS3 hasn't, than vice versa. For a start, I'm a big Guitar Hero/Rock Band fan, and the PS3 version of those games is a pain in the backside from start to finish.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Lool how so?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I heard of complaints about the fluidity of the DLC system, but by far the worst offence is the fact that none of the games and instruments from titles work with each other. You need equipment A for game A, and vice versa for game B. With the 360 you can use anything you like, which just as well considering how often the stuff breaks. Additionally most of the games are Xbox 360 exclusive in europe for several months after release.

Last edited: May 19, 2009