1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL Big Rigs was the most awesomely terrible game I've ever played :D

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol I saw that recently, and passed it up :p

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Multi Core Rendering - I.E. "Threaded Optimization" in the Nvidia control panel. Ive now disabled it. I'll need to keep that in mind for GTA IV, when its back on this drive. It just doesnt run the same on the XP drive :( There must a be a massive difference between Direct X 9C and 11.

Yes, its quite irritating when your teammates jump in front of you in the heat of the moment LOL! I am getting better though.

Is there some truth to that?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For Left 4 Dead, I actually meant the setting in game. Not sure about Thread optimisation, as it's a feature specific to nvidia drivers.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks man. It was recommended from another site. I turned both off, to see how its effected. Rather curious flickering effect about a half hour ago. Seems to be fine now though.

Any tips on defeating Tank, while maintaining health amongst the crew? It would appear that EVERYONE has trouble with this beast LOL! I have had some success, with the auto-shotgun while running backwards. Is there no QUICK way to take him down?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

EVERYBODY focus fire with the M16 or Auto Shotgun, and no worries, even on Advanced.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Omegaman7,

I recommend you leave threaded optimization on Auto. Turning this setting off can have a negative impact in a lot of games and will even cause problems with Left 4 Dead. It is a separate setting from multi-core rendering and controls a different variable. Even with multi-core rendering turned off, L4D still takes advantage a multi-core CPU for background loading and AI. You can leave threaded optimization off if you want but the performance will be affected even more.

8. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Maybe I am beginning to understand a bit. I have my laptop sitting next to me as I type on the desktop. The sixty 30" dell photos are cycling through the webshots screensaver every 20 seconds. Each one is a jewel. (I have several shots of Victoria, Canada. Wow! I just listened to a Norman Vincent Peale series on positive thinking, and he mentioned that the three most beautiful cities in the world were said to be Constantinople, San Francisco, and Victoria.) I really appreciate your attempt to help me understand why they look so good - I knew there had to be an explanation - thanks!

Regarding tank:
    And if you can molotov the ugly bastard he will die with no shooting, isn't that correct? But the team has to run like hell for about 40 seconds until he "bleeds out" I have heard.
    Nice work by the way, Kevin, on backward running with auto shotgun - you're getting too good, too fast!

Regarding witch:
    Yes I have seen a guy do it with auto shottie, although he DID get knocked down, and the rest of the team had to finish her off. What about the hunting rifle? (Since the hunting rifle shoots virtually as fast as a pistol, I would imagine one could get at least 3 rounds in her - one in the face, maybe two in the face if lucky. For close range, do you guys consider the auto shotgun more powerful than the hunting rifle?) In your Expert experience, Sam, with the whole team grouped around her, is it ever possible to kill her without somebody getting knocked down?

I DID notice that the bots can't do friendly fire - their gun just turns off - that's helpful, lol! (So they've wandered into your bullet stream too, hahaha!)

Hell no! LOL

Keith, glad you too are enjoying L4D. Big Rigs sounds like the old Monster Truck Madness, which was kind of a lark at the time! Sam and Jeff's negative comments just show that not everybody has the same taste in video games, haha. Or maybe they don't own a hummer like you do!

Hey, I'm back to our discussion about movespeed - but from another angle. I have some questions about the zombies. First, the tank. I thought that if you had full life, you could outrun a tank. Is that true, or is that not true? I seem to be getting some pretty nimble tanks lately - like "how they hell did he catch up to me just now?" On a similar note, do zombies outrun us? And does the witch outrun us?

Rich

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Eventually yes, but as you say, it takes a while. Use a molotov AND focus fire on the tank, it's no obstacle, regardless of difficulty.
    Lol at the smell machine, for some unknown reason, even though most games cover environments that stink to high heaven, I'd still love a smell machine for games, especially to use just for ambient scents that nobody would dream of producing air fresheners for.
    I've never had any success with the hunting rifle against the witch.
    Rich, There's a difference between not being interested in a game's premise, and not being interested in a game because it isn't any good. Games like Big Rigs sadly fall into the latter category.
    If you are on full life, you CAN outrun the tank, at least up to Advanced. I am not sure about expert. As far as I'm aware you can't ultimately outrun the witch, but you can gain significant distance before she gets you.
    40HP or less though, even on easy you're screwed.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Big Rigs is infamous for being one of the worst games ever made, period. It's not a matter of interests, it's fact. You'd understand if you ever played :p

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I hope you guys are happy! Im friggin addicted to this game LOL! I spend a lot of available hours with it. And TOTALLY enjoying it :D

LOL! Totally circumstantial. The area was a VERY good candidate. I even got lucky just a few minutes ago. I got cornered against a wall, and he(TANK) couldn't seem to hurt me. I was blasting away at him with the auto Shotgun, and watching my health remain the same. It was as though he was hitting the wall, and not me. But another attempt to recreate the occurrence failed. Must have been a rare glitch.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Went and saw "Star Trek" (AKA Star Trek XI)last night. VERY awesome! It felt rather new. It didnt have...that...style that it once had. Im not sure how to explain it. However...even though it was NEW, I liked it a great deal.
    That, and all the Left 4 Dead ive been playing, resulted in the most VIVID dream ive had in a LONG time! I urge anyone who hasn't seen the movie, to go see it. Keep an open mind, and you'll enjoy it as much or more than I did :D If they dont continue on into another GREAT series or yet another sequel...I'LL DIE!!! LOL!

13. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

-me saying about big rigs was lil joke (although I did recently download it)...
    Sims 3's looking good although is in that weird genre of game that you play but never achieve anything on.
    Also they've been VERY conservative on the graphics it looks not a lot better then 2 but of course you can access the whole city just by zooming out.
    YAY I'M FINALLY A MEMBER :)

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  14. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

What, another joker in the crowd!! You sure got Sam and Jeff stirred up!! Haha.
    We are totally happy, Kevin. (Let's see, now that I've taught you how to get addicted, how can I can make some money off it.) Ah Kevin, I've got this stuff - it's even better - called "crack" haha. It's cheap. Just $100. Sound good???
    Hmmmm. A map glitch - yeah - I was telling Sam about the same thing that happened in the prison before I learned to kill the ant lion king with lavatory sinks. I was in some kind of corner blasting away and his head butts didn't do jack! Well, if the tank didn't have you pinned underneath him, which the first blow would have accomplished, then tell me where that spot is - I'll try it! LOL

Speaking of our friend the tank (yes, sam, it was on expert - single player - that I was suddenly tank bait and I seem to recall that I was sprinting with at least 80 life) now that I know how to climb the infamous rock (by leaping one foot early) I have discovered not to be too complacent up there on expert - the tank is a miraculously gifted concrete tosser - from 30 yards. I tried to dodge - I wonder if ducking works. There is not a lot of maneuver room on top of that rock.

Sam, you like my smell machine idea! Great! I smell $10 million dollars in profits, lol. What would a crazy totally addicted gamer like Kevin pay for that USB add-on? The $100 I was trying to get for the crack? Hahaha. Let's see, reasonably-priced replaceable odor canisters, external power source, micro-precision jets, adjustable "volume" control (do we stink up just our corner of the room, or the entire house) and variable pre-sets, like Paki mode, for those who like everything with the scent of Shisha, and Hong Kong, where soy must be present on all occasions! The most advanced version has several 230cm coolmaster silent blowers that rev up on change of environment to quickly remove the first "stink" and slip in the new ambiance.

I'm sure we'll see it in 10 years (not really THAT sure.) Now that it's been posted - it is floating around in the "ether." When it comes out, and I discover that Sam Morris is the inventor, I want my cut. LOL

Rich

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Re: The music, I'm certain I have, and others, but whenever they are played they are usually edited versions.
    As for the smell machine idea, kind of what I had in mind, but via a high pressure compressed air system, rather than using fans or gas propellants. I envisaged some form of inexpensive liquid capable of 'activating' scents to become more pronounced when used with a small amount of the component fragrance, which would undoubtedly be expensive to produce very accurately.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL a smell machine. Bring on Silent Hill and Dead Space. Horror games are where the money is :D

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mmm, rotting flesh! :D

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Rotting flesh, burning electronics, and human excrement :D

I could see separate canister sets for each game that supports them. Like a Crysis package(salty sea air, rotting plant matter, gun powder), a Dead Space package(rotting flesh, stale air, sewage), a GRiD package(motor oil, burning rubber, gasoline).

Not like a constant smell but a little spray here and there wherever it applies.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Human excrement?

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Your first reaction when you die is you s**t your pants :D