1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Perhaps its just simply a windows 7 bug...

I have not installed much on this OS. A few utilities, the Nvidia driver, steam, left 4 dead, Poser, AutoGk. And there are no emulators running in the background. I use this OS on the weekends, to have some fun, and get familiar with what will be the new OS inside a year or so. Perhaps the bugs have already sent MS some info, and an auto update will eventually cure it. I guess time will tell.

I am aware of such driver removers, and utilities. This simply shouldn't be the case here, since Ive not run any uninstalls, since the OS was installed. The graphics driver was one of the last things I installed too. I was running on the stock MS driver for weeks, since it was working LOL. But I encountered bugs, and it occurred to me to update the driver.

2. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Windows 7 - what you're saying makes sense. And Sam says no need to worry about background if you're on a quad. So must be some buggy Windows 7. Ya gonna be around on wednesday for some online?

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Possibly :D

4. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

LOL - (my name here, but all spelled out - no missing letters)

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Actually, I already added you the other day :) You've been offline each time ive checked. No biggie. Im aware that Wednesday is your day.

6. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

It's my effort to keep it under control. Wednesdays - about 15 hours worth, lol. (btw - do you have a microphone - it helps with the teamwork)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

As a matter of fact I do :) worked pretty well with the speech programs, when I had the kinks worked out. You and the team will have to be picky, so I know how it is at the other end.

I'd sure hate to have it crash during a critical moment. Im considering installing it to a different system(XP). How will steam take that. Its not gonna be a prick in any way about that is it? That the same serial has been activated twice?

8. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Yeah, we'll help you test the microphone. Sometimes people come in a little loud and have to reduce the gain. Other times - people come in perfect.

Will steam be a prick? absolutely not, dude. You can take your user name with you to anybody's computer. You could have YOUR steam L4D game installed on 10 computers at the same time, for example. Under shaff's user id, he's got the game at school, and also at his house. His brother was on one time, using Shaff's id. Good player! The advantage is you don't have to have the physical disk with you when you're at a buddy's house and you want to play one of your steam-registered games.

I know you have the walmart disk, but let's say you buy some other game off steam. And then you decided to do a dual boot. You could run under the other operating system, and then log in with your user name. When you go to My Games, if the game does not show local content - steam will start loading it for you - that's all there is to it. (You can always pause the download - for example if you were gaming and you didn't want all your bandwidth being used for the download.)

So if you decide to try XP, which I believe is rock solid steady no kinks whatsoever for the game (I don't know if the game runs on xp 64 - for sure on regular xp) then under xp, like I say just log in with your user name, and go to My Games, and your game will be re-installed. Or just re-install it from your walmart disk (faster) and then register it again with steam, so they unlock the content and put it in your My Games list.

Rich

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...it acted unusual LOL! It didn't like my password, even though I only have two, and I never change it LOL! All better now though. Its about to finish installing now. I feel good about this. I didn't like how windows 7 would automatically turn the volume down after each area was completed. VERY irritating.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Actually I can argue for disabling background processes. Even on my machine, for some reason, disabling a few unneeded things helped a lot with loading speeds and FPS drops in Crysis. Maybe it's just all the stuff I run but it certainly did help.

Right now I have 38 running processes. When I'm gaming, 25 give or take depending on the game and if it's in Steam or not.

You'd be surprised how much some stuff can affect gameplay. Maybe it's a difference in memory management or something technical like that. But I know leaving something like Peer Guardian running WILL cause FPS drops. I've repeated it numerous times with the same results. Dropping PG while I play consistently provides a slightly smoother experience.

Of course every computer is unique so everyone's is affected differently.

@ Rich,

EndItAll is a very old friend of mine. The first PC I ever played games on was a 2.4GHz Celeron D with 512MB of RAM and a 128MB 5700LE PCI :p

EDIT:

Mind you I'm still almost exclusively XP until Windows 7 goes final.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I like windows 7 A LOT! Its too bad that XP is currently smoking it LOL! At least with Left 4 Dead. And I almost wonder if its bugs are my fault. One day I was exploring the .wav files in the program folder, and moved at least one, rather than copy pasting, and perhaps I didn't put it back in the right folder. Long story LOL!

Sam, Jeff, rich. I have a problem LOL! Louis seems to anger me really badly LOL! I swear the SOB, is a medkit, pills pimp LOL! in that he always has to have them. I have literally shot him on purpose because he's made me so angry at times. I fear that I might lapse into a memory and shoot one of you LOL! Nah...I'll stop doing that LOL!

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, you know what i'll also do, is only give him pills, and never the medkit LOL! I know, im bad!

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

A missing sound file could indeed cause crashing. Every time it tries to load that file, it won't find it. Then it will encounter an error and yes, possibly crash the game.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, EXACTLY!!!

I love it when the witch is near the gas pumps LOL!!!

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well usually everyone blows the gas pumps the second we get there. But I've personally always saved them for the tank. You can still get in the windows above the dumpster without climbing on the debris. There's a ladder right there on the dumpster.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wednesday, what time?

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

AFAIK there is no time. When he says Wednesday he means ALL of Wednesday, lol. I'm sure any time is fine :p

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The volume change can be turned off according to one of my mates who used Win7 and got cheesed off by that.
    I'm the complete reverse with stuff like Enditall, I take pride in the fact that I don't need to turn off loads of programs in order to play games properly.

Steam is fully file redundant. Load up your steam on another PC and it will let you install the games from new. Get corruption or accidentally delete a file, go 'verify game files' and it repairs the damage itself.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thats an excellent feature sam. I was OBVIOUSLY unaware LOL! Thank you much! :D Im gonna have to try that today. Cause there is a slight chance that I moved a file by mistake. See...I ran a windows search for the wav files, and dragged it to a folder and was like SHOOT
    ! LOL! I had gotten ahead of myself, when I should have copied/pasted it to the folder. A lot of the sounds from the game trip me out. Especially the tank, and smoker :D
    XP is extremely smooth. There are very small hiccups, but thats probably being overly picky ;) I think ultimately, windows 7 is still not ready for me :O But I do enjoy it A LOT!!! Xp just looks so basic now. And my computer can handle the eye candy without so much as flinching. Can't wait til release.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Usually, missing sound files don't cause any major problems, but you will see errors listed in the console about them being missing. However, if you moved a whole folder, that might be different.