1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

No, actually, I'm not f***ing done... I'm so p***ed off about keith1993's last post that I'm double posting :mad:

I'm a fanboy?! Why, because I just bought one of their cards and stuck up for them when you guys were slagging them off without need? Then yes, I'm a fanboy...

I have a Nintendo DS but I hate the thing; I guess I'm a Nintendo fanboy.

I like the ATI cards, they're good, but I just happened to not buy one - I guess I therefore think they're s***!

Now /rant

2. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Sorry if you found me a lil harsh but you did call me a fanboy!

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the core fo the 4870 and 4850 are the same, bar clock differences, so sticking GDDR5 wouldnt harm it in any way. i do think that ATI made a blunder with palit, who hold the biggest marketshare fo GFX cards in asia.

both compies do underhanded stuff.

hell ati reduced the proccess and just modified the HD2900 to get the 3870/50

i like these fanboi comments from both sides :p

4. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Wow, very spirited debate with good points on both sides, including shaff's comments above.

After careful deliberation and consideration of everything that has been said, I declare myself COMPLETELY neutral. No 'fanboi' here.

I DO think it's fair to say, however, that the way that Nvidia does things vs how ATI does things is almost exactly like the election that Ahmadinejad just stole from Mousavi. :p

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wheres the essay rich! :p

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No comment on the rant. Like I said, I'm slightly biased, but not for bias' sake.
    Shaff: Modified the HD2900? The HD3800 was a complete redesign. The power usage of the two cards alone should be enough to illustrate that. The HD3870 uses no more power than an HD4850, the HD2900XT used even more power than a HD4870, nearing that of an HD4850X2. No single tier die shrink earns that.
    ATI aren't saints, but they are a lot more honest than nvidia, I know at least that much.

7. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

LOL

Everybody else is saying, "Thank god, no essay!"

Coming from a position of COMPLETE neutrality, I think it's fair to say that ATI is like Robin Hood, whereas Nvidia is like the Sheriff of Nottingham. :p

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL!

Thats good stuff rich :D

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting analogy...

10. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I knew a Brit like you would relate.

It's important, for those of us in positions of COMPLETE neutrality, like Switzerland, that we not take sides, and of course remain as impartial and as objective as possible.

However, a little closer to home, I think it's fair to say that the way Nvidia operates somehow reminds me of the Attack on Pearl Harbor :p

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yes i agree on the power usage, but the proccess went from 80nm to 55nm.

thats a massive leap.

otherwise, performance wise it was the sameish

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ish, but not identical, the HD3870 and HD2900XT compared similarly but not identically, and more importantly in some games the difference changed hands or expanded.

13. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I would agree with BOTH of those comments unequivocally, especially the part about ish.

Coming from a position of COMPLETE neutrality, I am dismayed to perceive that there is some lingering suspicion that I am actually biased, so I would like to state here, for the record, that in no way, shape or form is that true.

Furthermore, having visited New York many times, Nvidia's business practices DO NOT remind me of 911.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol rich, pik a side fool!!!!! :p

i still have yet to pick one despite what it may look like

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hold on! Jeez Lueez!! Woah Nellie!!

I am suddenly under INTENSE fire!! Every time I go into my Outlook Express my tower starts smoking! Was it my innocent reference to 911? That MUST be it!

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I forgot how upset everybody still is over that.

The 911 tragedy not only stupefied everybody in Manhattan, but it was soon followed by the subway bombings, which stupefied everybody in London, which themselves were quickly followed by the unusual spectacle of normally friendly Mossad-trained bobbies blowing the brains out of terrified trench-coated Brazilians with expired visas. Now THAT’S some scary stuff.

And then our buds in Spain, with their own subway problems, pulled their troops from the United Nations joint police action in Iraq, which left them in the painful position of being virtually isolated in a tiny minority of nations questioning the wisdom of George W’s rousing adventure.

Wow, amigos, sorry for the national humiliation that must have brought you!

So, yes, I MUST face my critics – INDEED I should have chosen my words more carefully.

I absolutely understand, as several have mentioned, that in my important position of COMPLETE neutrality, it behooves me to retain the utmost sensitivity.

I only hope that my critics can understand that I was merely attempting to clarify the ATI vs. Nvidia discussion by making an impartial observation.

Let me try again:

Going back a safe distance in history, I hereby RE-STATE FOR THE RECORD, that Nvidia’s business practices certainly DO NOT entirely remind me of Genghis Khan’s rape of central Asia!

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I had a very close near miss with the london underground bombings, so that one's quite close to heart. The 911 isn't totally detached either, my mum used to work in the world trade center for a short period in the 1980s. I'd say it's probably best not to compare anything to stuff like that, just in case :p
    I knew the link was innocent and so should anyone with a brain but you know what some people are like.

Shaff: Isn't that link obvious? Two bottleneck trends. CPU is a fixed plateau, GPU is a variant figure based on demand and GPU performance. It's how every benchmark runs.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

but it shows that the cpu doesnt matter after about 2.3-2.5GHz in games

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With a GTX280 at least... but in most games that's about right considering that's an i7. 2.5Ghz for an i7 is probably closer to about 2.8-2.9Ghz for a Yorkfield Core 2 Quad, 3.0-3.3Ghz or so for a Wolfdale Duo depending on the cache, 3.2-3.3Ghz for a Phenom II or Kentsfield Core 2 Quad, and around 3.6Ghz for an original Athlon X2 or Phenom - so you can see, there's still a limitation as far as older CPus are concerned, it's just that it doesn't phase latter Core 2s or i7s and the overclock required for a Phenom II is achievable.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member