1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I had that problem with GRiD... I don't know which copy protection it uses but it refused to play until I used a No-DVD patch - I complained on the official forums along with others so maybe Codemasters will listen and not bother with any copy protection and just employ CD-Keys in future.

I don't see how companies can't see how they're facilitating piracy...

2. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Talking of codies I'm disappointed to find the proper versions of F1 2009 have been cancelled leaving only the PSP and Wii versions. Codies have said we shouldn't worry as F1 2010 will come to PC and so on. Shame the way things are there won't be an F1 2010.

3. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

They were cancelled a while back weren't they? Though I have no idea why they're doing a Wii version, the graphics look the same as the PSP one :eek:

I doubt F1 will go down the drain, but these are turbulent times...

4. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

You mean "turbulent" as in N. Korea is about to send a nuke toward Hawaii, or "turbulent" as in Windows 7 and therefore Ati's new graphics family have been put off until November?

Just checking. LOL

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! How about some more Left 4 Dead screenies!

I found this kind of funny, and quite the eye opener! Its an eye opener because it shows me just how much I pay attention!! Not quite enough LOL! Ive been through this corridor multiple times, and never thought to look in that direction. Who would have thought that there was a friggin tunnel there!!! If you look closely, you can see the bastard (LOL) at the end of the tunnel. Which is what made me find the tunnel. He made me...very angry LOL! So I followed him in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seriously, you've not been through those tunnels before? Shame on you...

7. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

well gentlemen, I'm getting a bit sick of my board and it's stability issues with sli and a heavy overclock. So, I'm selling my board to a friend and getting a new one. Any suggestions?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What makes you think a different board would be any better?

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well the board could be an issue. Lots of people agree that DFI boards are picky with hardware, including myself. But to be fair, Cooler Master PSUs don't exactly have a sterling track record... not to mention OCing your video cards will cause issues eventually. Are those GTX275s factory OCd or did you do them yourself? I'd be more apt to name those as the cause of your crashing than a DFI motherboard if it works fine otherwise.

As for an X58 motherboard, I have a rather heavy bias towards Gigabyte :)

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

And I was just about to suggest the Gigabyte UD5 ;)

But he's right - it could be the CPU / cards themselves or the PSU not coping under the heavier load...

11. hackwolf

hackwolf Member

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on different video cards. Currently I'm running a Geforce 8800gt 512ram. I have dual monitors going, etc... I'm wanting to upgrade my card and I was wondering what was out there, or better yet, what do some of you suggest?

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

whats your price range?

caus we could reccomend the 4870 512 OR the 4GB GTX295 MARS

13. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Funny story that, if you go back a couple of pages you'll see I just upgraded from that very card :p

But it all depends on how much you're looking to spend?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah agreed, Coolermaster PSUs are not really up to the task of managing the world's most power-hungry single CPU to date and two of the world's most power-hungry GPUs to date (even the QX9770/9775s use less, and even the GTX280 and GTX285s use less in SLI - it's true, look it up)

Hackwolf: The HD4850 and HD4870 are good value buys at the moment, but we need to know your budget to give you the right choice.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The HD4850 and HD4870 will offer you're best bang for buck at the moment. Good Nvidia competitors are the GTS250 and GTX260. Though I'm not sure how well they're priced as of late.

16. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Its not the card OC that's the issue, its the CPU OC. Too much strain on the NB I think. Even though I have raised the voltage. But yes, the cards are Ocd by me, up to the FTW spec of the evga cards. 713/1512/2520 I believe. It used to crash before I overclocked them though :(
    the psu is ok I'm pretty sure, I still get crashes every now and then even if I'm running the graphics cards off another PSU. It's quite rare that I do get a crash, but I'd like to have NO crashes. I was personally looking at the Asus P6T deluxe v2, Gigabyte extreme(even though it takes higher voltages to get good overclocks), and the t3eh8 version of my board, which has full digital PWM which would definately help with voltage stability vs my current hybrid analog/digital board. I know, I know, i'm crazy to consider DFI if this one might be the cause of my problems. And well I suppose if I've been wrong all along and I still have issues after a new mobo, I guess a corsair hx1000 is on the cards. But that leaves the problem of getting rid of my coolermaster PSU, which I have re-sleeved the cables. anyone think there is a chance of them taking it back if I send them a big email telling them how bulls**t it is they could claim a psu is 1000w if it can't even stay stable at 620w?? (if that were to be the problem of course).
    cheers guys

edit: just played crysis for a while at 630w load, went fine. If it were a PSU issue I'd definately expect that to crash???? Considering the crashes I get are very few and far between, I think it might be a less critical thing than the PSU?

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

4850 wont be a godo upgrade from an 8800

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

True. Ideally, you really want an HD4870 or better for a good upgrade.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

looked at the MSI SLI? Or the ASUS Rampage II Extreme or the ASUS P6T WS?

20. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

From what i've heard, avoid the rampage at all costs. Have read reviews about the MSI Eclipse - looks really good, is the audio card any good? And I was just on the website, apparently theres a new one out - the eclipse 'plus'. I would consider the asus p6t6 ws revolution.... only it costs 715AUD.... *gulp* whereas all the other boards are around 400-450
    Dare I ask --- the evga x58 board? Not the super expensive one, just the normal one..