1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

The thing is you can moan how much too much you paid but then if you spend time waiting for stuff to cheapen up your wasting time that could be used for gaming on a nicer system!
    (not sure how well I explained that!)

I always believe ATi (and of that matter AMD) are the cheaper if slightly not as good choice but the initial prices on the 48xx's blew this out of the water. They seem to be correcting this with there massive price drops.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 4870s were the best value thing to come out of ATI for ages, right from the start. Now they're setting the trend for price drops. Right now AMD are setting the trend that intel and nvidia have to follow with their price cuts.
    Agreed though, unless you know something amazing comes out next week, there's rarely much point in waiting.

3. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

They won't follow them. If they do they won't be able to afford to stamp there name on EVERYTHING!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You mean bribe developers? :p

5. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Watch it, we'll get called fan boys again...

On a lighter note enjoying the mini-heatwave?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

you'll probably never hear me say fanboy. Im pretty open minded, and most importantly, everyone is entitled to their opinion. So long as they're not trying to ram it in my face LOL!

7. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

ROFL I was referring to the wee argument me and Sam got into with Shokz about something a while ago... WHICH IS NOW IN THE PAST!

Hey I just noticed this on Play:
    Assassin's Creed II: Black Edition (Play.com UK Exclusive Collector's Edition)

They all want a piece of the Black Edition pie!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You know about Unreal Tournament 3 Black Edition right?

9. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

WHHHAAAATTT!!! Meh I think all I've done is prove my lack of knowledge about Black Edition things.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well if you know my PC build history you know I am no fanboy. I've used several products from ATi, Nvidia, AMD and Intel. I just buy what's best for the money(with a bias towards higher end hardware).

At this time AMD/ATi is playing hardball with the amazing price drops. Not only that they have had the better value for a while. I remember when I picked up my 4870s for $300 a piece, the GTX280 was over $600. I know I got a better value and I bought my cards at the original release price plus a rush order and shipping on each!

I know the Phenoms were terrible but the Phenom IIs have some phenomenal(pun not intended) deals. The 720BE is one of the fastest products for the price I have ever seen. Intel has dual cores at ~70% higher prices than the 720BE!

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True, but some of those are actually just as fast with only two cores, and that has some big benefits for dual threaded applications.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I know that for sure. But for overall price/performance the 720BE is very hard to beat. It whoops the dual cores in multi-threaded apps. And as for single/dual threaded, come on it's a Phenom II. It's still gonna be really really fast :)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol well, that's relatively speaking isn't it. per-core it can be outperformed by something that costs only 55% as much (the E6300 II), so it's nothing to shout about. In multi-core apps it's fast, but it needs to be, because there are quad cores out there for little more (the Q8200 is only 12% more).

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Estuansis,
    You've ran Windows 7. Do you do any imagery authoring/re-authoring? Im noticing a slight bug, which would no doubt bother the common person. What happens is, (for example) i'll "Save As" a picture to another format, delete the old via Shift-Delete (permanent deletion), and it will APPEAR to stay there. If I close the folder and come back, its gone. This seems to happen indefinitely so far. LOL, now that ive said that, it won't do it anymore! Perhaps something is running in the background...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That happens to me in vista with any file I delete from a networked location.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...heres something interesting. And I know EXACTLY what your talking about LOL! It seems to be localized to the "Pictures" folder. Thats pretty weird!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, happens to me anywhere, as long as it's on my server. Currently wrestling with USB composite device errors.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ive dealt with a networked(shared pc) before, and dealt with a similar issue, REGARDING DELETING FILES.

But this new bug, on my pc seems to be localized to the "Pictures" folder. Very weird

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! now its the same problem, pasting pic files. If I dont leave the folder and come back, it won't show up. Too weird.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, never had it when pasting.