1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL!!! Thanks buddy! I cant believe I missed that ROFL! MUCH better. Looks pretty nice actually.

2. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I think you explained it just fine - it's all relative and based on one's priorities. For me, estuansis has inspired me to get my butt back to work - I just officially quit my company yesterday and I'll be working for a new real estate firm in about 60 days (I have to renew my license first.) Another thing that is happening is that my extra commission check is disappearing fast - so I am putting off the DFI and new build investment - but I won't have to count the pennies so much when I start selling more houses. Somehow that fits in with what you just said, Keith, but I don't think I explained it very well, lol.
    Hahahaha.

Should we put that under the category of "substance abuse?" Or should we put that under the category of pre-July 4th celebrating, since Jesus turned the water into wine.

Somehow that makes me think of Michael Jackson again. The fool was totally tripping on pain killers - major major addiction ever since his hair caught on fire in the Pepsi commercial. And of course, it's all legal. They tried to abolish alcohol - the roaring '20's. They have made herb illegal - not for long here in California - we're only backward when it comes to same sex marriage.

But the drug industry! Multi-billions! Big big business. They want to make national health care a reality like it is in Europe. How about national nutrition and exercise, and a healthy skepticism of prescription drugs? Oh no! Not gonna touch that one. Too much money at stake!

[\rant]

Hell - I think I missed some good stuff. Goddamn that edit key, lol!
    Good job shaff. But how the hell did you get that accomplished - and who were you talking to, DDP? Or creaky or loco? (I thought only binkie followed our thread.)
    I thought you only went out with your cousins????
    WTF! I never heard of that - you're a miracle worker - you should take Jeff's job in that PC shop. (I hope you didn't try that on the after prom party lass who was hit by the car - bad joke, sorry.)
    Omega, goddamn you and your walmart ways. Now I'm back to Keith's talk about spending money. Let's see: On ebay, I bought crysis and crysis warhead combined, for a fair bit MORE than that (and they're sitting in the box waiting for the new build) and no Crysis Wars. Why am I overpaying for everything!!!
    Good thing we have our resident Einstein to help sort these things out - I remain very confused about a whole host of things, lol.
    I REST MY CASE!!! hahaha

Rich

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I can see im not gonna see the end of that one for a while :p

Walmart is pretty convenient for people in the area I live in. And yes...they are generally cheap. I wouldn't buy your blank media there LOL!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: Pretty much everyone I know who's ever played Crysis, myself included, was fooled initially by that one. Of course it took some of us longer than others :p

Rich: I'll just advise you that political discussions in threads tend not to go down too well here, so I won't take up the rant, but what I will say is that it's amazing how appreciative most americans are when they pay the UK a visit. On the train on my way back here from my parents house two weeks back, a guy called Fred from Los Angeles introduced himself to me and the poor guy sitting opposite me who looked like he was exhausted from a long day of work. Needless to say he was pretty talkative (that's not a general stereotype by the way), especially after he'd had several beers :p
    I'm not sure why Shaff posted what he did in here, it's a carbon copy of what he posted in the main PC building thread, which is where it all happened. It's basically a good old fashioned case of the mods asking him to do something and it not happening. It's not what you did that's at fault, it's the principle of carrying on posting and not listening (it was about poorly written posts with a third txtspk, a third typos and a third properly written sentences)

Whoever posted about the crysis pack for $40: I'm pretty certain Crysis Warhead comes with Crysis Wars anyway. Crysis is a bit of a relic now, and warhead was never that much, so $40 seems about right.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well!!! And I thought I got a good deal LOL! I suppose I knew the game was aging. I didn't mind paying it though. As much talk as the game has earned, and the astounding graphics, they really do deserve some return on the game :D

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Meh, I figure I'll buy the game once I have a PC that can run it well. In the case of Warhead, that's certainly not yet the case. I can play the original alright, but Warhead is pretty much unplayable at any setting even with quad crossfire.

7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Warhead runs better for me than Crysis does :) And I paid £12 for Crysis a year ago and £10 for Warhead around six months ago - so technically I got the best deal ^.^

Sam's right about Wars though - it's effectively just multiplayer Warhead.

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i wrote it in here by accident then transferred it over :)

as for the ban, yes it was my inability to spell apparently

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Warhead scales convexly. It runs better than the original at low detail, worse at high detail. However, the 'maximum achievable performance' of warhead is far lower. If you've got really impressive top end hardware, Crysis will run really smoothly if you keep the settings reasonable. Warhead will not.

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Hmm, on both games I set everything to high aside from objects, post-processing, game effects and shaders which I have at very high :)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Firstly, the resolution plays some part in that. nvidia cards are relatively uncapped graphically and can go quite far up the frame rate scale if you cut the res, ATI cards do not as the game is programmed against them that way (TWIMTBP at work). Additionally, smooth is relative. The frame rate that I get is reasonable, about 22-40, but not only does that vary wildly, but the game speed actually desyncs. With a constant frame rate the pace at which the character, and indeed the entire game moves varies, as if someone keeps playing with the fast forward button (though not as abrupt). It affects the enemy, and vehicles as well.

12. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Technically 1440x900 isn't 'low' as such - it's the second or third most used resolution in the world (after 1280x1024 and possibly 1024x786) :p I don't experience slow down / speed up - but I do honestly hate how dense jungle etc it'll be 35 - 40 but then when you get in an area with lots of people and just boring old buildings it can drop to the low 20s... If I look straight at the ground it goes up to 55 - 60, so maybe I should just do that :D

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1440x900 - nah, it's actually quite rare. 1280x800, 1280x1024 and 1680x1050 are more common.
    When I look straight at the ground my GPU fans speed up, such that I can actually play a primitive song by moving the mouse up and down - simply because when not bound by the CPU limitations, the GPUs can actually work effectively for once.

14. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I was going off the Steam hardware charts for the resolutions :) Well, what I remembered in my head, anyway - and I'd say it's only been in the last year that 1680x1050 has overtaken 1440x900 in sales as larger monitors are now pretty cheap, so I think 1440x900 still has a larger overall share, 1280x800 is very uncommon in gaming since it's a laptop resolution.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

iirc 1680x1050 was introduced first, 1440x900 was a budget add-on later. The steam hardware charts don't reflect non-gamers, and let's face it, a lot of people only have steam to play games like CSS...

16. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I'm just trying to point out a significant portion of the population still has a screen size of 19" or under :p With my next monitor I'm kinda tempted by 1920x1200 :)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Irrelevant, most gamers don't, and most normal users still use 1280x800 laptops or 1280x1024 older 5:4 monitors. I'm just trying to convice you that 1440x900 isn't as common as you think. I tend never to recommend it because 900 vertical pixels is a little on the cramped size. Despite the lower horizontal count, 1024 vertical makes 1280x1024 more attractive imo.

18. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I hate my 1280x1024 screen, that's why it's hooked up to the non gaming PC - human vision is 'letterbox', so obviously the closer to that the better.

And you tell that to the 720 lined 360 and PS3 ;)

I know I have a 'small' monitor, but the fact of the matter is that over half the population will have the same (counting 1280x1024 as the same cos there's little between the two) or lower...

EDIT:

1280x1024 - 26%
    1024x768 - 18%
    1680x1050 - 18%
    1440x900 - 11%
    1280x800 - 6%
    1920x1200 - 4%

And so on...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True, but seriously, it's more likely to be the other two resolutions :p

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I love my 1920 x 1200 monitor. But now im itching for 2560 x 1600 Dell/samsung! Cant wait for that badboy! I suppose its possible by the time im ready to buy the next step up, there will be either a new technology, or simply a higher res monitor. That would be my luck :p