1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

LOL you guys don't half move fast I miss a day to hangoverness and theres 47,000 posts to read.

I didn't make it clear that when I installed Catalyst driver stuff it broke again and I discovered the cause was an option that I'm sure wasn't there before was turned off something called geometry instancing which I have zero understanding about other then TURNING IT OFF BREAKS THINGS!!!

I combed the registry trying to fix above problem and ended up with completely mauled graphics drivers on the re-install needing a system restore not cool!

ROFL kissed my prom date :) but then at the afterparty while VERY VERY drunk I told a lass who I've been good friends with for years that I'd f*** her but she's way out of my league

Hey Sam stop insulting me I run 1440x900 its the max my TV which is the only thing I have by way of a monitor runs.

Rick: I believe your problem is your trying to use the TV settings when its connected via a standard monitor connector which means you should be using the normal everyday monitor settings-Ignore/turn off anything TV based and concentrate on things like dual monitor settings and so on.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

geometry instancing is just that, and if you disable it, shapes aren't formed properly, which explains what you saw. Fortunately I never saw fit to disable it :p
    Not meant to insult you (there are several resolutions below 1440x900) but when someone came and said it was the most popular resolution, I was responding with a little more factual accuracy :p I was also referring to monitors, not TVs. 1440x900 doesn't sound right for a TV either, as TVs only have three display types, 1024x768, 1366x768 and 1920x1080. If you have the latter, you should be able to get all the way up to 1920x1080, 1680x1050 included. if the middle (which I suspect), then 1440x900 is a rescale, which will look nasty. 1280x720 is more suitable.

3. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

It isn't actually widescreen its slighty taller then a proper widescreen telly which is what I've always put it down to but any resolution above 1440*900 makes it go all weird and not in the middle and broken (yes I have tried calibrating it or whatever its called).

Also it is Wharfedale which on closer inspection is an American company that makes speakers and in the UK is nothing more then the name given to stuff made by Argos.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

keith1993...Been their done that
    So just install the Drivers ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  5. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Excuse me, all I said was that 1440x900 was popular (I said third most popular resolution, but i was wrong and it was actually fourth - oh the horror :p).

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL Keith! I wasn't trying to cripple anything. Im familiar enough with the registry, in that I can explore, delete, etc with minimal discomfort LOL! I did say IF I WERE YOU, I would comb the registry. The registry should never be fooled with lightly. Unless one knows what they're doing, or backs it up :p

7. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I thought I knew what I was doing and I did back it up...
    I simply deleted settings from old versions.
    Then re-installed Catalyst Control Centre and on the bit where the screen goes black then comes back it stayed black. So I left it to finish installing in the dark. And on re-boot the screen froze on the boot screen where it *should* swap to the Welcome screen and of course proper driver. Still got to hear 7's nice jingly start-up noises though.
    Rather annoyingly this meant I couldn't get to my registry back-up and had to system restore (you can't remove Catalyst in safe-mode WTF).

-Fuel PC is now being torn to shreds especially as someone has found a file containing the following:
    Code:
    // !!!!! To be removed for final submission !!!!!
    //EnableL2R2
    //EnableDebugViewport
    //epm on
    //adhud

//cheatcode
    EnableDebugTools
    // **********************************************
    Still waiting for my copy LOL. And its in the post so I can't cancel...
    Also Asobo (who ACTUALLY make the game)'s website is 'down for maintenance' yeah right ok then.
    Finally the game says it has AA but it doesn't work at ALL!

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive had my screen go black for a LONG period of time during install, tripped me out! LOL! But it ended up recovering from it. This was with my last card. Haven't had any trouble with drivers for quite some time. Im afraid ive never dealt with catalyst before. More than likely eventually! My brothers computer runs onboard ati HD3300. Plus my next card will probably be ati. Eventually... eventually...

9. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I wouldn't of minded had I not known Nvidia drivers CAN be uninstalled in safe-mode.

Why am I so filled with nostalgia while looking at my parents PC specs (that where years beyond my time) and why the hell did my uncle build them a gaming PC???

Pentium 4 HT 530J 3.0GHz
    512MB 200MHz DDR RAM
    Gigabyte GA-8I915P-MF i915P
    Saphire Radeon X600 Pro 256MB DDR
    The original hard drive blew and i can't remember what it was lol

The date on the mobo box is 10/08/2004 which makes sense but this appears to be one kickass PC bearing in mind my dad has only ever used office/checked his E-mail

(I'm not sure how bad my spelling is but I'm Chrome and thus spell-checker less)

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey sam,
    How well does Left 4 Dead upscale? When I move to a 2560 x 1600 monitor, is it still gonna look super...BETTER? Properly upscaled, I believe that Nintendo 64 Roms look pretty good indeed. Though that may be a bad example. Graphics for N64 are pretty rudimentary when one thinks about it :)

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Got my problem worked out...Changed Video Card to MSI Nvida N9400GT,works great. Now all I've got to do is get a longer HDMI Cord for sound on TV

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Im happy for you Rick. Glad you got that worked out. No headache worse than a nasty computer bug LOL!

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL talking about computer bugs. What about viruses that are so invasive a removal of the drive and external scan with a separate PC won't cure them? I just spent 6 hours on and off trouble shooting a customer's PC before he was finally convinced I could just back up his stuff if I reformatted. "Doesn't that like, require special equipment?" Nope, just my 4GB flash drive XD

And the whole time he's pressuring me because he needs it tomorrow and he's calling every couple hours to check on it. And in between I'm swapping out a PSU on another PC, upgrading RAM, dealing with a pesky McAfee install, and trying to calm some irate customer because he's sure we effed up his HDTV because the color settings got reset.

I've earned this beer and bowl XD

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Estuansis, YOU GO... You go buddy! Hell yah you earned it :D

Well...I think the "Tank" gets angry about propane tanks too. Fire is a given. But I think the propane tank was a new kind of anger LOL! I totally see what you mean by "A.I." now. That tank can be smart when he wants to be.

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

omegaman7: I'd still like to work out the problem with my ATI Card..No matter what catalyst I use no TV Screen, even just the Video Drivers screw it up..Uninstall all and the TV shows up fine, Monitor fine,,But its not as Crisp

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...it sounds like you have it figured out then. Drivers/catalyst are whats causing the problem. Are you sure your installing the right/appropriate software/drivers? I know, I know. I gotta ask. Ive been known to make some silly mistakes in life. In fact, believe it or not, ive made one of the largest mistakes. I won't go into that here though.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it a standard def TV? because if it is then the highest resolution it will properly support is 1024x768.
    Keith: Downloaded FUEL, haven't tried it yet.
    Omega: Whenever I update catalyst, a black screen while windows loads of 30-90 seconds is normal.
    Left 4 Dead does look excellent at 2560x1600 because it has nice textures that actually work at that resolution. N64 games are very rudimentary, the reason they look good is they don't really use textures per-se, or rather, the textures they use are so simple, they're just shapes, which upscale brilliantly, because there's no detail to lose!

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris: Is this directed at me ?
    [Is it a standard def TV? because if it is then the highest
    resolution it will properly support is 1024x768.]
    My TV is an Olevia 1080p 47in : Standard TVs would not have VGA or HDMI Hook-up,only S-Video & AV Lines
    Also that just happens to be the resolution (1024x768)that I prefer,so even my Comp Monitor is set to this
    I think I posted this earlier

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  19. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

How do you put up with it? :eek:

I literally can't stand anything but native o.o

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rick: No it wasn't directed at you, it was directed at Keith, from page 157.
    As for the TV, using a resolution of 1024x768 may not help (it shouldn't matter, but I can't guarantee it) - use the correct resolution for your displays.