1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I have 7, just saying...

Well ok, you know I don't, but that comment did remind me of that Asus board (I think it was an X58) that had 7 PCIe x16 slots ;)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I thought it was 6...
    Also, there are only about 3-4 boards out there that can do that...
    Three 16x slots is becoming a bit more common for i7, but it does not exist for any other platform outside the ghastly nforce series.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sell your 4850s for a 4850 x2 and cf with a 4870x2

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, why bother?

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

why not? you have QCF aswell :D

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Because 2GB 4850X2s cost as much as 4870X2s, and 1GB 4850X2s are worthless...

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

worthless because?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

certainly worthless in crossfire with X2s, because before you need that much graphics power, you'll use up the memory, and they grind to a halt.

9. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Right, i'm seriously p***ed off - Keith, listen up, you'll love this.

Remember how you complained about Codemasters and their release date fail for the PC version of FUEL, and you posted something in the DiRT2 forum as well (i'll refresh your memory):

Keith1993:
    "Is there a PC release date for DiRT 2 or is it made up and are you going to put it back and not tell us the new one as with FUEL?"

Colin McRae's fan:
    "Official release date for PC and consoles is September 8th
    can't wait"

Keith1993:
    "Is that the actual date or is that the date Codemasters have given us for a laugh?
    As with the the FUEL PC date 24 days late and still no reason or new release date..."

Now, guess what, the release date for DiRT2 on consoles is still September 8th. The PC version? Some time in December...

Why? They've decided they want to code it for DX11 *swears loudly at Codemasters* :mad:

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's anything like the first DiRT it won't look that spectacular and will be pretty damn laggy.

11. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Well, they're saying it should be barely more demanding than GRiD, but we'll see...

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I hope that's the case, but the original DiRT was more demanding than GRiD, let alone DiRT 2.

13. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

You know ... our mod binkie must be on vacation, every post is pure dirt.

WTF! What are you doing with one of those - creating your own souped-up Prius hybrid?

Yeah I think I heard of that, "Chrome." Those google guys are slick! With spellchecker, no less. Hey, psssst, did anybody tell Shaff? LOL

Well, I agree, and so I use Ati tray tool, which also allows me not to have to run CCC which might give me one more fps. Of course on the big 30" I don't even see all the stuff: gpu clock, mem clock (so I know I'm in overclocking mode) cpu load, gpu load, gpu temp, gpu fan speed %, and fps, way up there in the top right corner. I have fraps somewhere but don't really use it. Let me ask you guys: if I use fraps and hit screenshot, with my p4, is it going to pause the game and get me killed? hahaha

Btw, sam, thanks for the tip about screen types - s-ips specifically - that gets copied to the new build text file, although of course I'm set for monitors for the next many years.

Wow, fantastic dialog about what voodoo should do (sounds like "do nothing for now" is the best conclusion.) Good points shaff and sam - I have to agree that the market is confusing. I hope we get some clarification by end of year. (In terms of new faster family from ATI - although I maintain my official neutrality despite advice to "Take a side, fool." For the record, Nvidia's business practices DO NOT remind me of Genghis Khan, nor of the Nazis.)

Rich

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm fairly sure it will be on the updated engine and just be the off-road equivalent of Grid. Remember Grid looks AND runs a hell of a lot better. I would hope we could say the same of Dirt 2.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fraps is usually pretty good about not lagging a game to take a screenshot, but I can't remember if I've ever used it on a single core CPU...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It doesn't bother me when taking even RAPID shots. However...capturing video (EVEN to another drive), will cause a very brief hiccup. But then everything is ok. Gotta love multi drive configurations. :D
    Infact, it should darn near be necessary. Your critical's should not be residing on the same drive as the OS. In my experience, making the computer sift through all that while running an OS is like torture LOL! Nah, it does slow the OS down though, the more space thats being used on a drive. I can't wait to try one of the 2Tb drives. I imagine its similar to the WD1001FALS though. Perhaps a few advancements

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Capturing video is usually pretty laggy for me, it depends on the game, but the bitrate of recording video in Fraps is more than anything but an empty drive can handle and at about 50MB/s it doesn't take long to fill a drive. recording for 10 minutes sees you with a 30GB file, or rather it would if I knew how to enable recording of files larger than 4GB in fraps. Not found out how to do it yet. This is at 840x525 as well, at full res and full frame rate, it's 80MB/s plus...

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Larger than 4gb? Ahhh! The drive your writing to isn't NTFS is it? Ntfs supports MUCH larger files. Fat and fat32 do not. 4gb is Fat32's limit. Not sure about regular Fat. Unless im mistaken, NTFS's max file size is 16 exbibytes. If your seeing a 4gb limitation, than your drive is not formatted for NTFS. Unless you've got something really weird going on LOL!

Or does it simply stop at that size because the program?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, it's NTFS, which is why I don't really understand it.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive never attempted that size/length. 1 minute sometimes longer, is all I need. Ive only ever recorded video to show my brother excellent scenery. He's very jealous of grand theft auto LOL! Once again, its running very well on Windows 7. You know what...I think I left it on at one point, and it shut itself off. Quite possible that it had hit that 4gb mark. Huh.