1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You used GTA4 as an example of good graphics? :S

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

In my opinion, its the best thing I got... LOL! It runs high high settings between 45-50 frames.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's frame rate, not good graphics. I can run CS:S at 800fps in places, so what? lol

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I must have missed something LOL! GTA IV is the crispest/sharpest most advanced looking game ive seen yet. I suppose that CAN amount to opinion. I like Left 4 Dead a great deal though too. But I must admit, there's something about GTA IV that smokes Left 4 Dead. And im probably gonna get it for saying that :S

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's blurry, the shadows are terrible, it has no AA support, and the textures are basically uncompressed which means they eat video memory. As a result, the detail level you usually have to use is an absolute pain. Actual detail is never an issue, it's draw distance and traffic count, which are ultimately what turn the game from looking stupid to remotely realistic.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An interesting sidenote, the GTX260 lightning has been released. It costs almost twice as much as a 1GB HD4870 (and more than a GTX275) and offers basically no performance advantages. One for the 'do not buy' list unfortunately...

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Should have more performance then mine. The one im looking at has twice the memory, and 90Mhz MORE clock than mine. + its a black edition LOL LOL!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Even so, a GTX275 is by far a better choice. If you want high resolution performance, you really need the extra memory though.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sooo...is this some kind of limited edition. And thats why they think they can get away with it?

10. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

lol.

At least Dirt 2 will actually be made by Codemasters not a smaller company that will disappear after releasing a non-final version thats got several fair sized problem e.g. there's an option for AA yet it doesn't work and you can't force.

Does that make 2x 512MB 4850's in CF worthless!?!?! (kind of what I was aiming for).

But they haven't actually released any DX10 (racing) games!!! Are they on something?

Been posting on the Codies forums about FUEL more then here recently hence I keep getting lost reading through various replies...

:) I'm in a vid of FUEL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky3Kkriewng

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sort of, yeah.

12. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Meh I'm not sure whether I'm reaching a stage where I can't actually be bothered to add anything to mine its fair does at the moment a quad would be nice but there not actually fully necessary at the moment.

You can now banish me from this thread :-O

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Whoa! Careful keith. I have absolute power LOL

14. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

This is from like ages ago but I use fraps a lot
    And have the controls:
    FPS Position: F12
    Benchmark: None
    Video: F11
    Screenshot: F10

I ended up rigging it up like this because I kept making random vids of games I run in windows where I've flicked across to Outlook and hit F9 to check for new mail.

Also biggest problem with FRAPS vids is that there HUMONGOUS I've got a vid of me getting an epic drift score on GRID and its 6 mins @ half-res 30FPS and it's 3.71GB which is FAR FAR to big to do anything with (I'd convert it but it'll take days). Although I should probably see about getting some encoding software that uses GPU.

Also does anyone know of a cheap surround system for the PC my subs dying... (possibly due to excessive amount of drum and bass at stupid volumes)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cheap + stupid volumes = break, more often than not. The only reason I own the set I do is for high sound quality and reliability at sensible volumes, I never turn them up very loud - the Logitech X-540 is meant to be pretty good, it's the 'little brother' of my Z set.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the ageo Ms i have are fanstastic, and the Z2300s. Z2300s are perfect for DnB and dubstep (which i listen to aswell as hiphop)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

He said surround. Those are 2.1 sets. Very good 2.1 sets, but 2.1 sets nonetheless.

18. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

The ones I have at the moment are 2.1 Logitech R20's they've served me well but the jack in the back of the subs always been dicky and vibrations are making it worse. I'd like to upgrade to 5.1 seen as I'd be buying new speakers anyway. I tend to listen more to general metal then anything else but I dabber with drum and bass occasionally. Also sound quality is importnat to me I just have it paticullaly loud when I'm feeling stupid :p

edited about 8 times for various reasons

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This is currently what I use. I've had it for 9 years. The cd player works when IT wants to, it has an optical audio port, one of the earlier stereo's with this. I use it now only for its Aux port. The Bass it puts out sounds like 12-15 inch subs. Hip hop/Rap/techno sounds quite good :D I have a Y connection at the stereo so that 2 computers can jack in simultaneously. It does effect the volume ever so slightly. My secondary is using a "Monster Cable" brand TS to RCA and sounds at least 30% louder. Obviously high grade cable.
    [​IMG]
    Hey sam, whats the technical term for the following. Is it TS to RCA?
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=2683

20. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I'd call it earphone to Red and White but I'd be very wrong.

:) My motherboard has an Optical out on it (no reason for this just saying).