1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I had an optical wireless mouse. I plugged it into my sisters computer to test her usb header. I knew that my mouse was a working device...! Well...it fried it. The person who wired her mobo, wired the usb header completely wrong! I told um it wasn't a big deal, since the mouse didn't cost me much. They bought me a wired mouse that I never used. I ended up giving it to a buddy at work.

The times that I did use it, it seemed no different then my current logitech wireless laser mouse that ive been running for 3-4 years.

Sam, what are you talking about? its displaying exactly like it should. Rather than have him constantly pounding(annoying), I gave
    it a slightly long pause.

By the way, I planned on a much better Gif, but it was gonna end up being too large. I estimate about 2Mb. I dont think users or Afterdawn would like that much LOL!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At fragsoc the vast majority of us use Razer mice, either the Diamondback, Copperhead or Deathadder. Excellent products. I've tried logitech mice, haven't tried steelseries ones (even though they sponsor fragsoc) but if they were that great, I'm sure I'd see a lot more of them.
    It's not that I like having wires. I dislike the faults with wireless mice, and that incident there is exactly what I'm talking about. Wired mice are lighter, cheaper, more reliable and there's a lot more choice too. As for Laser vs optical, you tend to see either IR or Laser these days. There doesn't seem to be a vast difference between the two. For ref, it's usually a competition between 1600,1800 and 2000dpi these days, 1000 is old!
    Omega: That front USB issue reminds me of the HAF. Still not sure how I'm going to go about sorting that. Coolermaster don't have any support for anything like that. As for the gif, if that's what you intended it looks silly. It's just the tank raising his arm for a split second then it goes back to where it was before and stops, it looks more like the tank having a fit than being about to clobber someone. If you wanted to make a bigger file, just paste the URL here rather tham embedding it in the page...

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! thats exactly it. I thought it looked like him throwing a tantrum. What happened there was, he killed me, and launched me a good 50+ feet! I was trying (however), to catch him pounding someone else! Unfortunately he eyed me first LOL! Ok, in the future i'll probably just post a link. :)

4. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

How good is a GMA 950 in Ati/Nvidia terms? (I know its really bad!)

I think I'm going to build myself a near silent mITX Intel Atom system based on an old Compaq Ipaq :)

one like this:
    [​IMG]

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, it can't install counterstrike source. That should be your answer.
    You can do a lot better than GMA950 for a Mini-ITX system. My mate paul has an 8600GT in his, shortly to become a 9800GT.
    This is his board:
    http://www.commell.com.tw/product/SBC/LV-677.HTM

6. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

how??? They only have a single PCI?!!!

Let me rephrase that (in fear of getting my ass kicked) the ones I've seen only have a single PCI!!!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some have PCI express 16x slots - look carefully :)

8. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Owww their £100 and need a proper CPU!! (not the one you linked to I never saw the edit)

Whereas what I was looking at was a Gigabyte Ultra Durable with a built in Atom for £68.66. Another thing I've just realised is that a card of any kind won't fit in the Ipaq.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, that's what half-height cards are for, hence why it's a 9800GT and not, say, an HD4850.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

go for an atom board with an ion chipset so you atleast get a 9300/9400 gpu and 1080p playback the 950 cant even do 720p playback

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a shame the Mobility Radeon tech used in netbooks hasn't seen much use in mini-ITX format, the M-HD4000s are the cards to have for HD video.

12. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I'M NOT USING IT FOR GAMING OR HD VIDEO!!!

I don't care that I can get a nicer one that does HD or gaming or anything because I have a proper computer for that. I'm building it for checking my emails/fiddling about with stuff. I don't want to pay stupidly lots for stuff I don't care about. I only asked to get a rough idea as to whether or not its worth trying 7 on it....... GOD ALMIGHTY!!!

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sorry, was just a suggestion, and a not so expensive one either. but sorry for that. as for an aton build for email checking, sounds good. mini itx cases are quite expensive though, you think itd be better getting a cheap netbook?

14. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I'm gutting a Compaq Ipaq for a case. So that's not a problem.

£25 for an Ipaq on Ebay

£63 for an mITX case

Always wanted to use an Ipaq as part of a project :)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Er, then why ask how the GMA950 is? What were you expecting?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Decided to grab this shot last night as before I go back, all three PCs are next to each other. How cute :)
    [​IMG]

The red you see, far too far to the left of the red PC is in fact its reflection in the other case.
    The green and blue wave at the bottom of the screen is the reflection of the LEDs on the arm of my chair.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nice fan controller. Have you ever had a problem with one? I've been considering a couple myself, but have heard of problems associated with them. E.g Fires. At the very least, smoke and stink thats hard to get rid of. Do you think they simply did something wrong.

Im looking closely at the zalman, but someone says it can only handle 7Watt fans and under. That doesn't seem like much! While on the other hand the Sunbeam controllers handle 20W and 30W. I would like a cheap one to slow a 120mm fan I have in my secondary's PCI area. Its extremely loud. If I had to guess, its probably pushing 40-50 dB+ Yes, its that obnoxious LOL! And obviously a NICE one for the Haf 932 would be wonderful! :D

Fan controllers

18. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

That's why I asked :)

I generally can't be arsed with fan controllers (from the person planning to build another PC because hos proper one is too loud lol). But that's mainly because I'd end up overheating my rig from turning fans down just to check my emails or something and then ending up compressing files, listening to music, playing on photoshop and all sorts in fact that's what I'm doing right now when I only meant to put some tunes on my Ericsson...

19. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

It's crazy how much better the ATI Radeon Mobility cards are compared to the nVidia GeForce M cards...

A Mobility HD4570 is very nearly as good as a 9600M GT... In desktops even the HD4670 is generally worse than the 9600GT :p

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You only get problems with them when you buy cheap, low wattage ones and run too much off one channel. The zalman fan controllers get HOT. I only run low speed fans off those. They're nice controllers, but I wouldn't trust them for arrays of fans or high speed ones. Both the visible fan controllers there are Sunbeam Rheobuses, very well built (Despite being sunbeam) and very powerful. They're at least 12W per channel, which is ample, as over 6 channels that's 72W.
    If you design a system properly, it won't overheat when you turn the fans down. My work PC only has two 120mm fans which run at 400rpm, which would leave many pc enthusiasts speechless. When I tell them it has a 2.5Ghz dual core processor with no fan on the cooler, 4GB of RAM, a terabyte hard drive and a graphics card as powerful as an 8800GT, they're amazed it runs with that little cooling. The fact is, it not only runs, it runs well. Pick your components right, and cooling a PC really isn't that hard.
    Shokz: Another wonder of nvidia's rather suspect marketing system.