1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hmmmmmm. Thanks for your comments, Sam. IR is infra-red - is that the new standard instead of optical - or is that a subset of optical? I thought once you said you had an optical mouse, not a laser mouse. I recall you mentioning the Razer series before.

When the customer service rep, Carl, said they had determined just to send me another mouse, I was going to ask him what type of problem it probably was - a micro-crack on the circuit board, etc. But I hear you saying, Sam, that my little random firing incident is indicative of the kinds of problems that can pop up with wireless mice, problems you virtually don't come across with wired mice.

In other words, the wireless transmission and reception of the signal can result in higher probability of experiencing the type of problem I just had? I have to admit that in 6+ years of fps games with wired mice, I never had a gun start to fire by itself before, which is why I was so shocked. Welcome to the world of wireless - I guess that's enough to make me seriously consider going back to "fighting the wire."

Thanks for the tip about today's dpi - perhaps a little overkill - but if that's what everybody has, 1600, 1800 and 2000, rather than "just" 1000, there must be a reason for it.

I'm curious about the "lighter" that you mentioned. I realize that without the circuitry and antenna to transmit the signal - and of course without the battery - wired mice can be much lighter. But I know of some mice where they give you weights to add to the mouse, to make it heavier. Of course that's a personal preference, but are you saying in general it is considered an advantage to have a lighter mouse?

Well, as much as I hate the thought of fighting the wire, I guess I'll have to seriously think about a wired mouse, probably Razer or Steel Series, although after the excellent customer service Logitech just gave me, I ought to seriously consider them too. I suppose I'll do some more reading of newegg reviews and get some more community commentary.

EDIT: Razer Mamba wireless laser mouse, 5300 dpi, 1000 hz polling, $130. (You can plug the usb wire in if batteries die and convert to wired mouse.) Any comments, anybody?

...........[​IMG]

Rich

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i sold sam that fan controller, off it i ran 8 led fans and a 32W pump

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I think you sold me then. They're pretty LOL, and if they're solid, i'll be happy for quite some time :D While some people would see this 120mm fan as hardly needed, IF needed...I believe it provides longevity to every component in the case. Certainly as the thermal paste begins to break down(age), thats where the fan will shine(ive seen fans do incredible things)! Besides, I plan on experimenting down the road. Probably get a much better exhaust fan too. well...plenty of time to think about that :D Thanks sam/everyone

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: That pump was not using 32W of power, I can tell you that right now. If it did even the Rheobus would have gone up in flames.
    Rich: Infra-Red is the same as optical, but in the infra-red wavelength instead of the visible red wavelength. It generally offers slightly better resolution than standard red LEDs.
    Wireless products aren't defective by design to start doing things like firing by themselves when they get old. However, there are far more things to go wrong - interference is a big one, and why if you do go wireless, NEVER go RF. When I had an RF wireless mouse, the cursor would jump all over the screen when the heating came on. This aside, there's a receiver and transmitter each end, batteries to replace, extra circuitry, and thus twice as many potential points of failure as wired mice. For the sake of the freedom of no wires, it simply isn't worth it.
    1600+ dpi allows very high sensitivity mice. You can move the mouse over the whole screen (including 2560x1600) with less than an inch of movement of the mouse, and it still be accurate. That's very handy.
    A few select mice allow customisable weight as some people prefer heavier mice for games. For one, I don't, and for two, the sort of mice that usually offer this are unreliable. One such example is the Roccat Kone, a truly dreadful product.
    I've seen the Razer Mamba, but frankly, all of the above still apply even though it's Razer, and that's serious money for a mouse, more than twice as much as any of the normal Razer wired mice.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sorry was 23W lol but each chaael can support 30w

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

On wired vs wireless mice. Wired for me hands down. I tried a Logitech G9 even and it had loads of problems(in my eyes). Batteries need swapping, input lag with certain games, weird problems with interference when I turn other stuff on. I'm currently using my 1800DPI wired Logitech MX-580 and it works excellently. Pin-point sensitivity, on the fly adjustments, not worrying if my next match will be a big loss because my receiver is being dodgy. I'm not saying wireless mice are bad, just not right for me.

Ideally I want to get my hands on a Gigabyte Ghost. That is the finest mouse ever made. Too bad they're strictly limited issue ATM. Only person I know with one is a beta tester for Gigabyte engineering samples.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...wireless is definitely right for me :) Ive not had one problem with my current wireless keyboard and mouse. Im uncertain why it calls it "optical mouse." I thought there were "optical", and "laser!" My mouse has an obvious red beam of light. So I assumed it was laser LOL! There I go assuming again eh. Anybody care to elaborate/teach LOL! Virtually NO lag. It warns me when the battery is about to give up. In which I have roughly a minute. The keyboard on the other hand, will miss a stroke. E.g typing away, and it begins missing letters/punctuation. It generally lasts for months and months on end. 6-8Months is the max ive hit. But now im gaming so it could drop to 2-3months. The laser on the mouse is where the real power usage comes in.

As far as interference, ive not had any issues. Perhaps my mouse was built on a Wednesday LOL! (Basically means I got lucky)
    http://www.houstonwarehouse.com/htm...oard-y-rk49-cordless-optical-mouse-m-rr95.htm

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well according to the reviews, its the best mouse ever made, but obviously over priced.

its a newer mouse, newer tech, untill we try it we cant exacrtly dissmiss it. it can be used are wired and wireless. sounds good, but IMO £120 on a mouse it WAY too much, id rather spend it on shsiha :D

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! You know...my mouse and keyboard cost me 40$ at radioshack on black friday of 2005. I guess that's not bad for a mouse/keyboard with no faults in almost 4 years. Works on almost any surface too. Ive even had it on a white surface with no problems. As I said, must have gotten lucky then. Because it sounds to me like my mouse is a freak of technology.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha the difference between a Radioshack mouse and a real Razer or Logitech is absolutely mind blowing. Do you know hany many DPI your mouse is? My Logitech Mx 580 laser is 1800DPI and my Razer Krait optical is 1600DPI. I've never used a single "Radioshack" brand that even compares.

Though there are quite a few opticals that are extremely reliable. One friend is using a 7 year old Razer Boomslang and it works great. 1000DPI too which is fairly acceptable. Anything below is usually jumpy, even when you use "enhance pointer precision" in the mouse options.

And then again, doesn't Radioshack carry a few Logitech mice now? lol

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well Blast! I can't find much of anything about my mouse and keyboard. Logitech apparently doesnt support any info about it anymore. Perhaps its time to upgrade eh. I dont know though, you guys can't seem to game with your newer wireless mice, that makes me nervous LOL! Im not joking when I say there is NO lag when gaming with my mouse! I was trying to find the Dpi specification of my mouse, but can't find it. Ah well. I wouldn't mind a new mouse that can dock to charge itself. That sounds most useful :D It would have to be NiMH (Nickel-metal hydride) though. I've not seen a better battery yet. However I read about a water based batter a while back that sounded interesting.

Estuansis, your sig link appears to be broken.

You might try photobucket. I switched to them because that happened too many times. I do like imageshack's thumbnail option though. Im not sure if photobucket does that.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

30W per channel maybe, but I wouldn't trust it to more than about 15W. I've seen the size of the heatsinks on those regulators. As large as they are compared to other controllers, more than about 15-20W through something cooled like that with no nearby airflow is asking for trouble, especially long-term.
    Estuansis: My thoughts exactly, it's peace of mind. In the same way I don't want to have to worry about whether my PC will crash or not during the game, so I settle for a lower overclock, I don't want to run the risk of my mouse not working in a game, so I use wired instead.
    I've never heard of the Gigabyte Ghost, I'm curious.
    Omega: Laser mice are invisible. Only optical are visible. As for $40, your mouse may well work alright, but the actual performance of it as Estuansis says, is going to be dire compared to the mice we use. The old saying goes, once you buy a gaming mouse, you'll never buy anything else. The old saying actually goes once you buy a Razer mouse, but there we go, lots of Logitech fans in here anyway.
    By the way, the shortcomings of wireless mice? Lag isn't one of them. It's drop-out.

My sig has been hosted with imageshack for a solid year now, I've never seen it go down, have you?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  13. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I feel depressed now. I have a Microsoft InteliMouse Optical that I've had for years and years and I got rid of my (albeit cheapo) Logitech mouse for it because the Micosoft one fits in my massive hands better.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I still have an intellimouse optical here at home. With the rather premature demise of my KVM switch it's coming in handy.

A note to anyone else: Next time you buy a product and spot 'Solytech' on the power brick, try and get yourself a few spares, you'll probably need them!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  15. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

The problem with them is when you use someone else's mouse they feel pathetic and tiny and like your going to break them.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, no. I feel like the MS mouse would be more likely to break than the Razer. So far at 6 and 3 years old respectively, they're still in good shape.

17. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Not in a quality sense (god no the MS mouse is a right plasticky thing) in a size sense! The MS mouse feels like a brick where other peoples seem tiny small and as if they would crumple like sweet wrappers.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How does the size make any difference to how easily damaged they'd be? I don't get it...

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for that sam. As for your mice being better...i'll have to take your word on that. I can't imagine them being any better, but I guess i'll know one day. Actually, I think I have seen your sig broke. Don't quote me though, for it could have been someone elses LOL! I don't know why imageshack screwed up pics so often for me. Photobucket has been 100% dead on.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I always found photobucket confusing and unintuitive, so I never used it.