1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

TinyPic anyone? :eek:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks these things through logically? :p If you're going to use the sig on afterdawn, where should you host the sig? Yep, afterdawn ;)

I uploaded mine to my profile and link it from there :)

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

im a photobucket user.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's probably changed since the ages ago I last used it.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Thanks for that Shokz. I think using tinypic to host it right from AD worked well. Hopefully I have a sig showing now, lol.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, that's going back a bit!

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha yeah it's an old sig but I like it :p

Going to be making a better one soon. Maybe a Gigabyte logo or AMD or something of that nature.

7. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Yeah, I was noticing the new anime on the sig - you must have used that a couple years ago before I came around. Shaff got me on photobucket, and it's super easy, but shokz is a genius to link to A/D - makes perfect sense.

I think you have a good point, Shaff. We can't actually dismiss the mamba too fast. I haven't read too much yet - the price IS a little steep for sure. So far the dpi specs are really high, and a couple other things I've noticed is that it has a rechargeable battery - it recharges from the usb - and you can run it from the usb as a true wired mouse.

What about the two buttons that allow you to change the cpi setting on the fly - finer setting for head shots - like defending fence on forklift crescendo - and quicker sensitivity for running around the map - does it offer that? That is one feature I like about the steel series.

Regarding battery power - my little AA coppertop seems to be lasting pretty much f**king forever. Let's see - I picked up my original red (bad) v220 about four months ago. I used it probably for about 20 hours on the laptops. I started using it on L4D about 10 weeks ago, just for a laugh, and so I have probably run it for 100 hours on L4D so far. It is not a laser - it is a 1000 dpi (cpi?) optical, and I don't know how much difference that makes in power usage. Also I don't know what the polling rate is. It turns itself off if you don't move it for a while. The random firing was not a battery problem - and when a change of battery didn't fix the problem, I put the old battery back in (and played for 10 hours a few days ago - no problems.)

For me since I only game once a week - all day Wednesday - (at least that's the plan - but I've been back-sliding a bit lately) if I had the mamba, I guess to recharge the battery I'd have it plugged into my non-gaming rig that I am typing this on, which I use daily. I'd have it sitting off to the side recharging, since I'm fine on my cheap wired ps/2 mouse.
    I don't see you other guys complaining about the wire the way that I do, so maybe it's just these cheap mice I have and their rather stiff wires. Maybe you guys just have more pliable wires on your mice that don't push back. For me the "back-push" of the wire is as bad as if, for example, there were a sticky place on the mouse pad, where some jelly had dried, if you can imagine how bad that would be for movement.

Do you guys NOT have a problem with wire back-push?
    I know what you mean, omega, about getting nervous. They've made me nervous too with all this talk about staying away from wireless, but while I'm waiting for the new mouse to arrive, I played with the bad mouse a couple nights ago (when I got my merit badge, lol) dreading the friendly fire - which fortunately never happened - the gun did not "go off randomly" again. I noted later that I had it plugged into the lower usb on the front - in case that had anything to do with it. But anyway, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY ZERO LAG as far as I can tell.

I read where one guy said - "even 1/1000th of a second is too much" but since then I have thought about it a bit, and 1 ms is probably essentially unnoticeable, isn't it? Or would you see that as a problem if you were awping, for example on counter strike, where they used to say if your ping is not below 100, don't try to awp.

A ping of 100 is 100 ms right? In other words, 1/10th of a second. That's ghastly! I just opened a command prompt window and pinged yahoo - 82, 80, 78, 80. That's almost 1/10th of a second. How could I possibly awp somebody if by the time I pressed my awp trigger 1/10 of a second had passed which would virtually allow their entire body to pass beyond my cursor?

A guy the other night thought I was hosting the server, he said, because according to him, my ping was 5. I never check my ping, but maybe I should. So anyway, I guess my whole point on this was that, like Kevin, I can't notice any lag at all on my little 1000 dpi optical v220 notebook mouse. A 1 ms lag, if that's what happens with wireless, would move me from a 5 ping to a 6 ping, or a 50 ping to a 51 ping. I would not think you could notice 1 more or less ping - or do you guys think I am wrong? Or is there a whole other side of this - besides the reliability issue - that I am missing?

Hold on - here's Sam clarifying things.
    Sam, what is drop-out? You just entirely lose the connection for like - a couple seconds?? Never had that happen. And how would I make sure, if I actually got a wireless mouse, like if I sprung the $130 for the mamba, that the mouse is not RF? Besides RF, what are the other communication methods - what is 3.5G? Is that the new standard?

And while we're on the subject of mouse specs, when steel series talks about 40,000 frames a second on their wired Ikira 3200 cpi laser, what do they mean? How does that fit in with 1000 hz polling? Sorry to sound ignorant, but I am. Other than a rough understanding of dpi (why is it cpi, not dpi?) I am lacking on all the other mouse terminology - although I finally understand lift-off I think - the distance above the surface that a mouse will still work at, the higher the better (to a point) so that you can use teflon glides and your mouse will still work.

Lol, I thought Jeff was the only giant guy around here. Well, do you guys hold the mouse with a "claw" grip, or with a "palm" grip. I recently read about that - and I'm in the claw category - I hold it with my fingers, and rest my palm on the mouse pad - other guys rest their palm on the mouse itself and need a bigger mouse (I don't even know how you would do that - my big wired cheap A-Open mouse that I'm using now - I still use my "claw" grip - now that I know what grip I use, it makes me feel like a pterodactyl.) How can a person control a mouse and rest their palm on it at the same time? (How do you guys hold your pencils - with a "claw" grip, or a Quasimodo grip? hahahaha)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My hands are larger than most peoples. I'm 6foot 5in (1.9558 Meters). I rest the bottom of my hand on the desk while the palm of my hand barely rests against the mouse. I suppose during intense gaming however, I might give a tighter squeeze LOL!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All 7-button Razer mice have on-the-fly sensitivity. It's something I never used to use because it interferes with OpenGL games, but who uses OpenGL any more?
    The "wire push back" is something that does bug me with my mouse a little sometimes, but it's mainly down to how you have the wire setup - if it's curled round on the desk, it'll cause you grief. If it's straight until it runs down the back of the desk, it's no trouble at all. Take some care over where the wire is and you'll find yourself less annoyed by this. It's certainly less annoying than using a wireless mouse.
    As for lag with a mouse, I wouldn't want any more than 2-3ms lag, due to the USB polling rate with some mice/keyboards, that's sometimes what you get. However, as I explained it's not lag you encounter, it's drop out. it's never as long as a couple of seconds, but it's there, and it's rage-inducing.

I hold the mouse in a rather strange way, so I wouldn't take lessons from me about that :p

10. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I hold mine similarly I think...
    Meh I've got nothing better to do then take pictures of my own hand:
    [​IMG]
    In that one its not clear my fingers are still reaching the mouse buttons
    [​IMG]
    Hosted on ImageShack no less
    I'm only 6ft 3" but I do have large hands for someone my size :)

my Sig's pretty crappy but I've never been arsed to do another one.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

well...I guess im not the only bean pole on the forum LOL! :)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've no idea how tall I am, it's been a while since I measured myself, I think at last count I was 6ft 1 1/2".

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

bet I have you guys beat on foot size LOL! Size 15, though I can wear most 14 boots.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Size 7 / 8. I have small feet :(

15. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Size 12. I know that's right because my mum was a shoe fitter :)

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I guarantee your shoes are EASIER to find then mine LOL. In a way, im jealous.

Any of you guys heard of the "Wacom Tablet"? It sounds most interesting.
    http://www.wacom.com/index2.php

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah there's loads of different models, I had to try and find one for someone a little while back.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

5'10 size 11 uk feet, not sure what that is in the us

19. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

UK size to US size you add a half.

So I'm UK 12 US 12½

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now how about your height, chubby man?
    Nah, just kidding you ;-)