1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm 6ft 2in tall. 245lbs. Size 13 Wide US. 14s are right for width but too long and 13s are too narrow. I use a palm grip on my Logitech MX518 and a claw grip on my Razer Krait.

Sam, how DO you hold your mouse? Pictures plz if it's too complicated to explain :p

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No batteries in camera - I'll try and post a diagram. Hold on a mo

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

[​IMG]

green marks -> desktop usage position - fingers flat along mouse
    red marks -> typical gaming position - fingers arched.

Not sure why I do this, I tend to move from the green to the red as the game goes on. I think my fingers get fidgety! lol

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thats a rather appalling mouse, don't you think sam? LOL! Totally kidding :)
    [​IMG]

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That's very close to how I use my Krait. It has the big long buttons so I can palm grip it on the desktop, but when I game I tend to arch my fingers as well. Razer mice seem to lend themselves well to both styles.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, I have the original see-through version, not the waffy opaque 3G version :)

7. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

OMG! Kevin's a giant! 6' 5" - even taller than my brother who is 6' 3".

Thanks for the photos, Keith. I see that your fingers are extending all the way over the mouse. I tried that, and now I know what a palm grip is. I don't know what that kind of a grip would do to my gaming - but I may have to try it one time. (Ok, Sam, I won't ask about your grip.) And I find your sig quite fine - but that's from a guy with NO sig, lol.

I find it very interesting that Jeff uses a palm grip on one mouse, and claw on another. Estuansis - any advantage from the standpoint of control and accuracy? There is one mouse that comes with a cover that slips on for the "palm" guys who need more mouse surface area. I like your idea, Sam, of varying the mouse hold - maybe that will help me avoid stiff fingers!

And, Keith, you're a pretty big sonovagun yourself - another Jeff at 6'3". And Sam is 6' 1 1/2, and I'm just 6'1" - is this the giant guy forum?? (Oh, estuansis at 6' 2" - corrected - but look - 245 pounds - BIG guy!)

Size 15 shoe size is gigantic - like my brother again. I'm 11 1/2, and somebody gave me a pair of shoes they said was 12 - and I said - "No these look way bigger" and I was right, they are 13. They have come in handy as shoes I can easily slip on to go from trailer to house and back, since I work in my socks most of the time (trailer is my office and on Wednesdays, my zombie killing hideout.)

Let's face it Kevin - you are a BIG guy!!

Sam, I have never had dropout - not for one second, not for 1/2 second. Never. If I had, I would be enraged just as you said. My only ONLY problem so far was the random shooting, lol. (But it didn't happen a few days ago, and I still don't have the replacement mouse, so I will be on the "bad" mouse tomorrow all day - just hoping no problems. I'm putting it down in usb slot 2 in case that helped somehow.)

When I hang the mouse wire straight ahead until it dangles down, I don't have wire pushback, I have wire pull forward, (from gravity of the wire hanging down) which is every bit as bad as wire push back. I have to say, that except for the shocking random firing that one night, wireless is totally a much better experience. LOL!

Wow those razor pics look awesome.

8. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Pre-ordering 7 Home Premium E when I can gain £50. What's the idea behind selling it without Internet explorer??!!! N doesn't come with Windows media player either although that isn't pre-order yet..
    I'm happy it comes with both 32 and 64-bit though because I think I'm going to swap to 64 regardless of my troubles with the RC.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wire pull forward is only a problem if the wire runs all the way down the back of the desk to something on the floor. If you keep it angled, for example, that shouldn't cause any problems (but I know the problem you're explaining)
    Keith: They sell it without ie due to a lawsuit over ie8. I'm happy with that. I can actually get FULL control with a browser I actually like.

10. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I can understand this but it means you need to put a browser on a flash drive/CD rather then simply clicking onto IE and downloading the one you want and actually I've just thought Chrome's been rumbled on 2 counts 1. It uses the IE proxy settings 2. The installer's online

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

true, it is a bit of a pain that I suppose, but having ie8 on a PC for its whole life versus having to spend a moment putting Chrome or firefox on a flash drive. Hmmm

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well the logitech MX518 is a big mouse with a contoured ergonomic surface that fits directly in the palm of your hand. It's almost impossible to use claw grip on it. The Razer Krait, on the other hand, is a skinny, low profile mouse with just rubber grips on the sides. You can palm it easily enough but it's obviously built with claw grip in mind.

As far as which is better, it depends a lot on the game. The Razer Krait is great for RTS games and RPGs. Games where you need to do a lot of extra clicking and menu navigation. The Logitech MX518 is more for FPS games with its extra buttons and palm grip. It allows for a steadier hand and better precision when aiming, not to mention you can map things like melee or grenades to the extra buttons. The Razer is actually better suited to normal desktop use due to its design. The MX518 is almost strictly a gaming mouse, though it's fine for the desktop anyway.

Never had that problem with either mouse nor any push back. Both have rather skinny, stiff cords that run straight to the back of the desk. There is actually no bending/twisting of the wires on my desk. All the movement is in the back.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My lack of grip on the G5 made it a pain for FPS, but I would agree - a mouse in that style would be better suited to FPS gaming. As far as I'm concerned, I like absolute control over a large workspace, such as an RTS, or my desktop, which spans 6 megapixels.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Your desktop spans 6 mega pixels? But if 2560 X 1600 = 4,096,000 thats not quite 4.1 mega pixels?

Please forgive, im trying to understand better :D

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2560x1600 = 4096000
    1680x1050 = 1764000

4096000+1764000 = 5860000. Almost 6 megapixels.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Dual monitors! Boy do I feel silly :p

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wouldnt the span count as horrizontal?

mines 1920x1200 + 1920x1080

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't give a total resolution, I gave total pixel count area. It's not possible to give a resolution for two different monitor sizes because you have to include pixels that aren't there.

19. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Don't feel silly Kevin. With a 30" 2560x1600 monitor (I have one too and it's gigasmic!) I never would have thought that Sam runs dual monitors.

(In fact, the guys at Valve, who always used to run dual monitors, now run just one 30" Dell. So Sam has more desktop pixels than anybody else in the entire world!) Hahahaha.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member