1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Roller coaster tycoon seems interesting. Almost reminds me of sim city. I might just have to give that a shot some day :D Im afraid that i'm currently absorbed by photoshop though LOL!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OpenTTD - 2560x1600 support with custom textures! :O I love that too.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL all the abuse on CoD5. I actually thought it was quite good. Maybe a bit more linear and less cohesive, but it still had a lot of really awesome missions. My favorites being the tank battle at Kursk, the beach landing on Tarawa Atoll, and the very well done storming of Berlin. Not only that but they did a lot of stuff with the graphics that I thought looked better than parts of CoD4.

Agreed overall though that Infinity Ward has always had better production values and a higher level of polish.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The fact that to this day it doesn't properly support CF was admittedly also a factor... :p

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Im sure with the proper coding, even a game such as COD 5 would not realize that it were running via 2,3,4 etc video cards :D

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

COD5 is one of very few games to exhibit long-period macrostutter when used with crossfire. It also had corrupted textures last time I checked, even with a CF profile enabled.

7. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Owwww my brain hurts from all the reading.

I got looking at Pro cards a while back - out of interest more then anything else and from what I gather although both use the same chip (this is a money saving practise) and that's pretty much where the similarities end.

Wow OpenTTD looks ace I've got Train Tycoon on my phone and have played it to bits.

I've never played COD although I ate lots at the seaside :p

OMFG the Catalyst installer's WHITE!!! and CCC is all different!!! Although it still won't OC my 4850 :|

Also I very quickly need someone to convince me not to sell my PS3 to buy an Xbox arcade for Forza 3 (GT5 doesn't count because I'm fed up of them lying about the release date)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  8. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

They never lied o.o Kaz has never suggested a release date...

That said, most people think it'll come out this December :p

Now that's done with: Are you totally mad?! An Arcade? Why?! Not even shell out for a Pro? And sell your PS3 for it at that? Tsk.

That said, there are four games I want on the 360 (Forza 3, Halo 3, Alan Wake, Rez HD)... I was sort of tempted to buy one, but £250 (Pro + wireless adapter + play and charge kit + year's gold live membership) for four games is a bit much ;)

9. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

An arcade because I'll only use it for Forza and won't go on the net with it because then its however much it is for one game. I currently only own the PS3 for when GT5 bothers to come out. I thought they did give a release date that is now a year and half in the past although as always I could be wrong.

I simply don't have the confidence I had towards Sony that I did a year ago.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

keith: OpenTTD is legendary. I preferred the improved graphics and customisbaility of locomotion, but OpenTTD simply works better and supports higher resolutions. The new catalyst installer is indeed white, and doesn't really do anything different to the old one.
    I would take an xbox over a ps3 any day of the week as it's half the price for just as much of a console, and more than that, it has far better support for guitar hero/rock band games, and in my opinion also has slightly better exclusives. I'm a big Gran Turismo fan, and I have to say I found Forza rather boring by comparison when I tried it. There has never been a release date for GT5, and if you think it's behind schedule, it's not as bad as GT4 was, yet you weren't put off by that. Long release waits is PD's way of doing things, and has nothing to do with Sony. The problem for me is the fact that until GT5 comes out, there's almost nothing on a PS3 that makes me want to buy one.
    I personally would take the proper console over the arcade simply for the ability to install the games so you don't have to put up with the racket of the DVD drive every time you play. I'm not one to condone piracy but you could always ebay a cheap xbox, flash it and torrent Forza if you're never going to pay for it.
    Long story short, I don't have any reason to own a PS3 and think as a product the xbox 360 is a much better console, but am still liable to buy a ps3 when GT5 does finally get released, simply for that one game, and it isnt' Sony's fault GT games take soo long to come out.

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

killzone 2, drakes fortune.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again, while these are games I'd probably consider getting if I had a PS3, they aren't games that make me go "I want a PS3!"

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

fair enough :)

i personally bought it for God of War 3, but untill then PES/FIFA keeps my tied up :)

that and SCIV and SFIV

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Perhaps some stores will take pity on us come "Black Friday" this year. Mmm, I bet certain stores will say, first 5 customers get them half off, or something to that effect. Who knows. Ive seen some pretty outrageous deals on the day after thanksgiving. :D

15. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

That required a Google. Personally I prefer having Bonfire night to thanksgiving ;-)

I didn't care about GT4 because there were other good games at the time (can't remember what though).

My comment about Sony was more the company on the whole as opposed to just GT5 it was more to do with that I had my PS1 and loved it, Got my PS2 and loved it more got my PSP and regardless of what other people say about it I really really liked it. Then I buys my PS3 and wasn't impressed at all on the other Playstations there always seemed to be something worth buying even if it wasn't a new release you'd go into a game shop see a game and their'd be at least one you'd heard was really good you liked the look of and you bought. I go into a game shop look at the PS3 section and not a single thing remotely interests me at all, there isn't even any games that I've been told are utter sh*te but want to have a bash on anyway. The games Shaff says I simple wouldn't play out of opinion. I never had the PC at the time of the other PS's so obviously I may be looking at them with rose tinted glasses but there was always was and STILL is something on my shelf I could sit and play for a few hours.

I'm now actually tempted to buy a RRODed 360 and doing just that.

New catalyst does do something it makes my display freeze randomly luckily win 7 detect's it and restarts the driver. I think.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Since SC4 is on the 360, and SF4 both the 360 and PC, they aren't reasons to make me buy a PS3. The PS was Sony's first console and was incredibly successful. I actually preferred the slightly higher-spec, less real-world console of the N64 back then, but could easily see the appeal of the vast quantity of lower-priced games the PS offered. The PS2 was my console of choice for that generation, mainly due to my love of the GT series and that once again it was the console to own. The next generation however, the 360 was clearly the console to have. For a start, we bought our first before the PS3 had even come out, and when it did finally arrive it offered nothing new, but it was ridiculously overpriced at release, and remains overpriced to this day. Its price is reasonable for what hardware it contains, but as a games console it just isn't justifiable. The only games I like on the PS3 are games I have on the 360 anyway. The display driver freeze is a bug with 9.7, reinstall it and it should go away.

17. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

there was an Optional ATI update for 7 through Windows Update which SEEMS to of fixed it.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ahhh, maybe that's what did it. I reinstalled the driver and ran windows update about the same time.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha Killzone 2 makes me want a PS3. Especially for a console the graphics are absolutely jaw-dropping. I didn't expect it to look near as amazing as it does. It seriously challenges/beats Crysis in spots.

Overall though the Xbox 360 is the better console I think. Better exclusives overall, way more games, superior HD support. In what way does the PS3 win? Free online? Please, I've got a PC...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed on most of what's said there but for killzone 2. Everyone says the graphics are amazing and rival Crysis, I just don't see it.