1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha I have no problem with fighters. My favorites are Street Fighter 4 on the 360 and Tekken 4 on the PS2. Tekken 4 had absolutely mind-blowing models, textures, and lighting for a PS2 game. One of my all time favorites for the console.

Gameplay is all down to learning the basic combos each fighting engine allows. Then you can branch off and vary your button presses in order to unlock the hidden potential of each character. The rest is sort of a rhythmic mixture of blocks, dodges, high punch on a low block, low kick on a high block, etc. Once you play a while, movement and combos become almost reflex.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i found tekken 4 to be painfully slow. tekken 3 was the king of iron fist, pun intended ;), tekken 5 was good aswell. cant wait for tekken 6.

3. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

All I ever used to do on Tekken admittedly back on the PS1 is tap the same button as fast as possible I'm not sure what it did but I *think* it was circle.

I wrote that about half an hour ago and got distracted playing OpenTTD it's stupidly addictive.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Soul calibur is alright, I can play that fine, but pulling off any move but for regular punches and Blanka's lightning is absurdly hard in street fighter 4.
    Haha, openttd owns, I lost a week of my life back in early july thanks to it! Your tactic for fighters is known in the trade as 'button mashing'

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for that sam. "Spot the difference"

That returned multiple results. LOL! I had a pretty good buzz going last night! I'm sure estuansis can appreciate that ;)

6. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey Estuansis, speaking of HDTV, how close are you to your goal of picking up a 40" (was that the size you were shooting for?)

How's work in the PC shop? Any more PCs come in that are missing the hard drive (but the wires are still there, attached to the hard drive circuit board?) Hahahaha

Jeff, you and Sam sparring is fun to watch. Sounds like killzone is some kind of awesome ps3 game, if you just sit back a bit.

The dialog you have with Sam makes me ask myself: Why do I play on the 30" dell with my stupid face about 12" from the screen (so that I couldn't find the overly-breezy trailer window in the safe house the other day and temporarily didn't know I was not really IN the safe house, lol) and why does it just seem to make more sense to move back a bit for an HDTV?
    Wow. Sitting back on a chair like that, or on a couch, a remote in your hand, big screen TV filling up the wall in front of you. Sounds nice - and different. AND lower back support, ;P

I like your word, "relax."

I wonder if it's all about the experience one is after, at that moment. Do you want an "intense, nail-biting, totally immersive experience", or do you want something a bit lighter, a bit more relaxed, a little closer to watching TV.

Now I'm jealous. I do all my killing on the table on the other side of the trailer, with pillows trying to soften the ghastly uncomfortable foam rubber trailer cushions, lol.

Kevin, I found 4 things in about 30 seconds. The girl's nose, the lighted "walk" is now "don't walk", the blue is red, and the bus parking is something else. What's my prize? Haha.

Rich

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol blanks electric hard to do? just keep pressing two punch buttons in succession not hard at all, or do you mean on the KB?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I said that's the only move that isn't hard.

10. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

new version means new product, not second hand warranty returns.

12. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

oh I get it now I wasn't reading it properly but still what's with the moved ports??

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Does the PS3 have a switching power supply? It may be that the 110V PSU is different in shape to the 240V PSU.

14. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Why pay the extra $90 to get 80GB of extra HDD space, Pain and Uncharted? I wouldn't really say it's worth it...

Over here I'm pretty sure the difference is even larger - if you really are getting one, get the 80GB :p If you wait for a deal to pop up you can get it at around £230.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That's what I figured. The PAL and NTSC PS3s must have slightly different internals for the different power requirements.

Come to think of it don't the different types of power in UK vs US affect PSU performance? Voltage ripple must have entirely different characteristics on the different power grids.

16. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

:) I've solved it myself newer versions feature a 65nm GPU as opposed to the 90nm used in the earlier systems (like mine) it must be something to do with that. The PSU in the PS3 is universal so can be used wherever regardless of voltage and frequency.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Keith: Yeah that'll be it. The newer xbox 360s also have a smaller PSU, though it's inside the same size power brick, it weighs half as much.

Jeff: It doesn't affect ripple much, but the higher mains voltage means higher efficiency in the UK. A good 85% PSU in the US is typically 88-89% efficient here.

18. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

The systems with the 90nm GPU/90nm CPU and the 90nm GPU/65nm CPU both use a 380w PSU although they only actually use 180w and 135w respectively. Whereas the new 65nm GPU/65nm CPU systems use 280w PSUs and use a mere 110w. A 45nm CPU which would result in 40% reduction of power use over the 65nm is planned which is what has led to all the slim PS3 rumours.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

380W? Hah! I highly doubt it's actually 380W. 180W a.c. draw is about right for the early PS3. The 360s use a 203/175/150W brick respectively, but our 203W console draws about 165W a.c. and my 175W console draws 95W...

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ahh sorry sam i mis read.

so stuff like hadouken you find hard?