1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah, I managed one once, can't reproduce it.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

LOL its soo easy!

then again 360 dpad = fail. try it on the analogue, from down to towards the person and punch. on a KB its nightmare, but analogue stick work.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Analog stick, xbox dpad, keyboard, all impossible. I spent about half an hour trying to pull a simple one off then gave up.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL poor Sam is no good at fighters. It's okay man you're still quite decent at L4D and whatnot ;P

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I don't claim to be very good, but there's obviously something I don't understand, pulling off combos in soul calibur is pretty easy. of about 4 or 5 hours gameplay I've pulled off one combo in street fighter...

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well that's where my "button mashing" comes in handy. Except I don't mash the buttons. I know when I'm kicking, I know when I'm punching, and I know when to block and cancel and counter. My method is simply exploring the move sets of each character. Through trying all combos of punches and kicks you can find which works best for you.

7. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Kevin - damn nice of Sam to donate a prize like that - does he have my shipping address?

I hear you sam, despite what shaff and jeff and keith have to say. I'm all thumbs when it comes to stuff like that - my reason for never finishing prince of persia - sands of time.

I could never figure out the keyboard and mouse finger moves to swing and jump from one horizontal bar - bounce back against the wall behind - and elevate to the bar above it. "Mierda!" as Zoey says all the time. ("Sh*t!" I now play L4D in spanish.)

To my disbelief that bit of gymnastics was a piece of cake for my 12-year old Mexican buddy, Fernando, lol!

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

question for you GPU hounds. i got a chance of getting a GTX 260 for $125. yes its been used. a friend has one and he wants to get a 4850x2 or bigger. he hasnt really used this one(gtx 260) so is $125 a good price for it? ive known this guy for about 16 years so i know he wont sell me something shoddy.
    this is the exact one he has
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121321

now next question with it being a ASUS GPU will it play nice mith my GIGABYTE MOBO??????? lmao..

9. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Yes that's a good price :eek:

And yes it'll work perfectly fine; your hardware suits it well :)

10. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

ok i have question if u guys can help.I am planning to upgrade my 8600gts to 8800gts or ati 4890 higher in Ati or navidia doesnt matter.I have quad core and mobo is new too,I made pc about 2 years ago but PSu is 500watts.So which gpu will be good in 200 dollar range.i am planning of getting new gpu in October,November.And do i have to upgrade the Psu or 500wattwill be enough.tanks

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes it should work fine. I'm no fan of the Matrix cooler, I think it's probably the weakest aftermarket cooling solution, but that level of performance for $125 isn't bad if it's the 216-core version. However, if it's a 192 core version you didn't really save anything as an HD4870, a slightly superior card, can be had for $130 in the right place. Asus cards will work in Gigabyte mobos (I used one this way for about 4 months) but they're often a bit oddly laid out for cooler replacement, not that you may need it.
    Dreamer: It all depends what 500W PSU it is. A 500W Corsair could manage 550W - a 500W coolermaster would only be 300-350W. A 500W Raidmax/Rosewill/Logisys/Qtec or any other cheap generic brand might fail at only 120W, and spectacularly so. It also depends what quad core you have. A lightweight core 2 quad will be ok with a lower PSU than an inefficient phenom or core i7 CPU will need. For $200 the best buy is an HD4890 from XFX:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359
    A very powerful card for the money, it will eat the previously mentioned GTX260 alive. Obviously consider with an 80-95W intel core 2 quad you will want at least a quality 400W PSU for it to be safe, if you use an AMD ideally a 450W, if a core i7, ideally a 500W.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha just did another one of my "charity" builds. Built my best friend a ghetto gaming rig practically for free.

My old 5000+ BE @ 3GHz w/ stock voltage
    ASUS M2N nForce 430MCP(die hard board, works flawlessly)
    2 x 1GB Mushkin PC6400 CL5-5-5-12
    XFX 8600GTS XXX 512MB
    cheapest version of the Cooler Master Centurion
    SATA DVD-RW
    WD Caviar SE 500GB SATA
    Antec Earthwatts 380W

He had to pay for the PSU and HDD but the rest was either my old stuff or I got it for free helping people, etc. He's pretty happy with it as he came from a 933MHz P3 with 512MB RAM and a GeForce 4 MX4000 PCI. Blew his frikken mind when I pointed at the pile of parts and was like "pay for a PSU and hard drive and shes yours."

I dunno I can't help but give. It makes me feel good to help people :S

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

according to driver heaven, when OCed that card is as good as a GTX 275!

and its passive when in 2d mode and in gaming/ 3d mode it uses its fans.

not bad for $125!

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't doubt that when OC'd it does very well. My GTX 260 is an animal. I average very good frame rates in GTA IV. 40-50 there abouts. Which isn't bad for a power hungry game. Although the game is probably more cpu exhaustive. I average roughly 70-80% usage while playing. Rob, you'll like the 260 buddy. Its a moderate gamers delight. And yes, you got a super buy. Assuming of course its 216 cores!!! I don't regret buying my BFG 260 GTX :D I spent 2 hunno on mine LOL! (200$)

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey sam. I realize that 2560 x 1600 is in no current danger of being overtaken, but what resolution do you think will be the next standard. I've been pretty absorbed by creating wallpapers, and I wanna go with a more "future proof" standard. You know! :) I realize that nothing is future proof, but I would like some pics to be at least somewhat timeless LOL! I suppose 3200 x 2000 would be a nice round number eh LOL! at least for the 16:10 screens.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Jeff: Not a bad system for old parts lying around. Dunno how much longer the 8600 will last, they seem to dropping like flies lately.
    Shaff: and when overclocked the 4890 is as good as a GTX285, your point? Overclocking graphics cards gives marginal performance improvements, and that's effectively what the GTX275 is. When in 2D mode, as far as I can see, one of the fans turns off, but the other remains on, and is very noisy. The reviews I've seen of the matrix cooler found its noise very unpleasant.
    Omega: Unless you're planning for at least 5-6 years down the line, there's nothing new on the horizon, but the next potential resolution will be 3840x2160 / 3840x2400.

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah but this one has seen maybe 20-30 hours of gaming in its entire life. It spent most of it idle in a family PC. Meh, if it fails I'll either make it the final home of my die hard X850XT(nobody seems to want to keep it...) or score him a 4670. But right now he's happy with it. Mostly playing L4D, NFSU2, Doom 3, Quake 4, FC2, Halo PC online, nothing way demanding you know?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Quake 4 and Left 4 Dead must be a little demanding for an 8600GTS (remember, even the X1900XT was faster) but if it's free, it's free...

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the point i was making wat that its got the voltage tweeker, so it can be overclocked more than normal.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not seen people get much past 1Ghz with it regardless, and we all know what extra voltage can do to graphics cards... o_o