1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well it WAS the 216 core. and he said it only had about 25hours of gameing on it. but his brother asked him for it. so you know what that means..lol if it was me family comes first too...lol

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Quake 4 is really old. My old 7600GT could run it at 1280 x 1024 with high settings and 2x AA. He'll be at the same or lower so I think he'll be fine. As for L4D... remember it's Source Engine, so I know he will run it fine. In fact I think he'a already been playing it just fine at 1280 res with medium-high settings. I haven't seen him online so I can only assume he DL'd it.

Hell, he's already gotten GTA4 running to some degree. He can put up with low res and crappy graphics really well. Not to mention low framerates. He played Halo PC online at 12FPS and was consistently a top ranked player in every match. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's 'running' and then running a game. My X1900XT could play the game at 2560x1600, but to play it smoothly due to a rather mediocre engine design, the resolution had to be way down, mainly due to the video memory usage (2560x1600 with AA used over 600MB of video RAM, a lot for 2005)
    Since GTA4 is heavily biased towards nvidias, an 8600GTS in GTA4 is more like an HD3850 for performance, thus he should be able to play it to some degree. As for Halo, if you've ever played Halo, you'll realise what a dramatic skill differential there is. There are a lot of truly terrible players out there, yet there are also some truly amazing players - come up against the latter at 12fps, different story.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well he does have a 512MB card so as far as that goes he's still overkill. He's Currently using a 19" LCD at 1280 x 1024 and playing most newer games quite happily.

He's an excellent player and can kick some serious face when he gets on a roll. He' a bit of a heavy weapons wh*** sometimes, but he's really really good with them too.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

How do you come to that figure?

My 8600GT ran GTA IV O-K. I forget what the frame rates were, but I had to turn most of the settings down to medium, including the resolution. I think 1440 x 900 performed admirably.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

because it already exists as a resolution, and it has already been added as a supported standard in DisplayPort.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

DisplayPort? So...its like a successor to HDMI, DVI, VGA, etc?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yes, it's the successor to HDMI.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Appreciate the confirmation :)

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

There really should be a universal standard...

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Amen to that!!!

12. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Nice!

What is the 3dmark6 score - I'm guessing 9000. (I'm under 5,000 lol.) Plus on top of the satisfaction of helping a buddy - you feel like the computer god you're getting to be, lol!

Somebody mentioned Left 4 Dead a bit ago - it was you, Jeff. I have only one more campaign to go!

Hey Kevin, just noticed your sig. You should go see the movie "Food." All of you guys - go see that film - I recommend it highly. Fascinating and eye opening.

Just one little example: I always like the industry slogan "corn-fed cattle." I love corn and it sounded great to me. But the documentary looks at all the ramifications of putting cows on a feedlot, trucking in the corn, and trucking out the manure: a 10-fold increase in e-coli, versus grass-fed corn! So now there's some kind of additive, like formaldehyde, that they put in the ground beef to try to kill the e-coli! Hahahaha.

Rich

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I DID IT!!! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PROVE!!

Hahahaha.

I feel like estuansis with his spare parts hot gaming system for his p3 friend.

I've pretty much got it down now - usually lowest friendly fire on the team, the best places to handle the horde, etc etc.

Look me up guys - berkeley is my new game name (I was getting too many questions about harvard.)

Kevin if you are on-line, look me up - I'll watch your back. If I was on your friend's list before, I'll still be on it. Same thing of course you other guys.

Sam, thanks for the tip about pistols-only - no reason to try to do that on expert if that's not required. Now one day I'll have to see what versus and survival are all about.

Oh yeah, I saw the new thing coming in September - a bridge from hospital to the next campaign - the helicopter crashes - plus lots of new dialog. Cool!!

Rich

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  15. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

Dreamer: It all depends what 500W PSU it is. A 500W Corsair could manage 550W - a 500W coolermaster would only be 300-350W. A 500W Raidmax/Rosewill/Logisys/Qtec or any other cheap generic brand might fail at only 120W, and spectacularly so. It also depends what quad core you have. A lightweight core 2 quad will be ok with a lower PSU than an inefficient phenom or core i7 CPU will need. For $200 the best buy is an HD4890 from XFX:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359
    A very powerful card for the money, it will eat the previously mentioned GTX260 alive. Obviously consider with an 80-95W intel core 2 quad you will want at least a quality 400W PSU for it to be safe, if you use an AMD ideally a 450W, if a core i7, ideally a 500W.[/quote]

I have Antec Basiq 500watt psu and the cpu is Q6600 at 2.40Ghz,with 4gb ram, 2 500gb hard drives.So will it be sufficient for HD4890 upgrade.thx

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should be. The Basiq units are by far the worst units Antec made though, so it's impossible to say for certain.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Before I bring back photos of Multiplay i37 (which I will be attending from this evening until monday evening) I'll start the ball rolling with this picture:
    http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5766/s5000683.jpg

Fileserver is behind where I'm standing here, at the end of the bed.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Very nice Sam. That chair makes me cringe though. must get so uncomfortable after long periods. I much prefer my nice, worn-in Staples chair though. I've got full lower back support, arms on the sides to steady my aim, and a head rest(surprised it's even high enough for my head :p). You should really put some consideration into a more substantial chair if you spend so much time at that epic command center :p

The desk is sweet though. Wish I had that one. I have a somewhat similar set-up. My Armor is on the desk to my right, and my Raidmax Smilodon and CM Centurion 5 are on the floor side-by-side next to the desk.

Ha speaking of putting consideration into a purchase, I really need a digital camera. I do have a very nice mechanical camera, but alas, no scanner :(

19. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I have a scanner that I've used once.I also own a printer that I've never used at all. My granddad needlessly bought a combined printer/scanner because a screw got stuck in the printer and he only showed it to me after he'd bought his new one. Long story short he gave me them and all it took was the other end of a spoon and the screw pinged out.
    Not sure why that's of any importance at all.

Tut-tut Sam you have a power adapter into a power adapter very naughty I'm not sure why but its just what you get told. Since giving my spare rig to my little bro its very boring at my desk. Actually I've now been inspired to go and retrieve all my games consoles form their various hiding places so I can do an image like omega's where you have to spot all the consoles and handhelds and so on...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Likewise, I prefer my office chair in York. It's much more comfortable and has arms (I rarely use headrests). I've been after a more comfortable chair back at my parents' for years, but never got round to it :p - The desk is alright, it's a nice size (it used to have an extra monitor stand for back in the old small CRT days). The camera was around £120 at the time, but it's barely worth half that now, it's a Samsung S500.

I have a power adapter plugged into a power adapter as I only have one wall socket. The reason you are told not to do it (rightly so) is that you have one socket providing power to 12 plugs so it's very easy to break the maximum current of the socket. However, I know exactly how much power what's attached to this circuit draws and know that it isn't going to break the current limit (13A). if you go to any LAN party you see at least double-chained power adapters, sometimes even triple-chained, as most gamers use at least 4 sockets, and if a small room fits 15 gamers and a large one fits 1500, that's a lot of plug sockets. Since most people (those with QCF systems like myself excluded) use less than 2A each, it's entirely conceivable to fit five (sometimes 6 or 7 if some people are using laptops) onto the same socket. 4 plugs times this number of people, the number of actual plugs off one socket can be in excess of 20 - and here I'm only using 10. Since the modem, speakers, KVM Switch and printer don't come to LANs, the number of sockets I use at a LAN is much less anyway. The armada of games consoles is more like the house in York which I'll have to photoshop - a living room invaded by two file servers, a TV + hifi, several consoles, rock band gear, two routers and a switch, a laser printer and goodness knows how much network cable is quite funny to see!