1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

2. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I got mine free. My dad's work ordered desks and chairs not knowing the desks came with free chairs so the free chairs quickly disappeared...
    It not half bad either its comfy-ish and got arms no headrest or anything though.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mine was £17 from Tesco. Mine has been great, Nick's (which was identical and ordered at the same time as mine)is absolutely wrecked. Just goes to show eh?

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Mine was $100 from Staples last year. Black cloth covering with a hand pump for the inflatable back support. Plastic arms but somehow really comfortable plastic :p

Before that I had a beat old office chair from my Dad's work.

When I go to LANs I usually take up 2 plugs. 1 for my monitor and one for my tower. Headphones for sound obviously, Creative Fatal1ty headset usually. Awesome headphones :)

I have recently bought a USB headset for Left 4 Dead though. Has a problem with mics on Creative Sound cards for some reason. Only game ever to do it. Even other Valve games work fine and steam chat. The USB headset apparently loads its own drivers though because it works flawlessly with L4D. Nice cushy, comfortable Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000s. They're obviously of cheap quality though and I don't expect them to last long. Works great in L4D though and they were cheap so no complaints.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Interesting post! I'll have to keep that headset in mind. I'm amazed at the versatility of the usb port. Is there anything that can't plug in?

I also had a problem several years ago with my Creative Sound card and the microphone with Day of Defeat and Counter Strike (I was heavy on counter strike about 4 years ago, and I may go back soon.) The Medusa 5.1 built-in mic would never work right with the Creative card. I just gave up and took out the card and am running on the built-in Realtec 5.1 chip - I think I lose the 5 though because the mic takes the place of one speaker somehow. I think it's working okay because I seem to know where the boomer is most of the time, lol.

6. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Yeah all done :) now I ask you 3 questions.
    Can you spot 5 consoles, 4 handhelds, 2 MP3 players, 6 controllers and name them?
    Can you locate the 2 flash drives, 2 hard drives, WI-Fi dongle and 2 remotes?
    Can you spot anything that’s not quite right?

JPG for people who don't want to wait although it still takes a while (3mb): http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2764/dscf0228jpg.jpg
    PNG for people who have fast net/patience (6mb): imageshack has decided I'm only allowed it in 800x600 kinda defies the point...

Personally I can't see a difference between the 2 formats but that's probably due to the fact I took them in RAW, The cameras low resolution, The massively high quality of the JPG and My screen.
    There's defiantly an advantage to saving in RAW then converting to JPG (or of that matter another format) rather then taking the images in JPG although I can only take 15 RAWs but can take 66 Fine JPEGs on my tiny 128MB XD (that's not a stupid face that's the name of FujiFilm/Olympus's proprietary format) card.

-Can you tell i had some time to kill...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

PS3, PS2 slim x2 and fat, PS1 fat.

ipod classic, Zen micro

2 DS lite, 1GBC, 1 PSP.

2 DS2, 2DS3? (or sixaxis?), 2 generic PS pads? (or PC?)

1 grey and 1 black remote. i assume grey for ut tv/monitor, and 1 for one of the consoles?

i see the 2 HDDs stacks on top of each other,

1 wifi dongle the big greay one?

2 usbs, the play.com one infront of one slim and one next to PC.

not sure if ur PC is on, seems on but fans not spinning, or was that the flash?

lamps not on the correct way, itd seem,

and i like the reflection of ur pc window on the wall lol.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! How do you have time, with all those consoles beckoning to you? :D

9. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Your winner!!! you win the 9p I found while tidying up!

Although You did get several small things wrong and read too far into it:

The 'Zen micro' is in fact a Zen MicroPhoto so it has a colour screen.

You did VERY well on the controller front although there are 3 DS2s and only 1 PC pad I now note the yellow on one was misleading but somehow the cables on it got worn through so I taped them up.

You got my remotes backwards although this wasn't actually part of it. The black ones for my PS2 and the pale one for the TV

The flash drive in front of the slim isn't play.com its integral. I found it in the street corrupted worked after a format though ;).

The fan seeming still was in fact the high shutter speed possible because of the flash (sorry if that sounds patronising but there's no reason people can't learn something while I'm at it). It wasn't something that isn't right.

My lamp faces that way because it points at my bed so that also wasn't something not right.

What I was looking for was in fact really hard to spot its that the iPod is sat on top of its Hard Drive. The mainboard's broken and I've never got round to buying a different iPod with a broken drive. Also the Sony badge is missing from the fat PS2 although only some sort of Über fanboy would notice this.

The reflection's due to my cameras kickass flash (and I suspect the cheapness of the plastic of my window). I really like my camera but then it was £200 new with a 128mb card and a case. Its 4MP so phones have more these days :( Its also 10x Optical zoom but I've never ever actually needed to fully zoom it in which begs the question what's the point???

A quick summary of the problems with each individual thing:
    The PSP has a broken screen.
    The iPod has a broken mainboard (I already mentioned this).
    The Zen has a broken hard drive (no I can't put the iPod drive in the Zen).
    The PS3 has 5 games and I've never liked it anyway.
    The PS1 is no longer chipped (the chip broke and killed the console) so I can't play all my pirated games (it was the nineties everyone did it).
    The PS2 slim on the fat PS2 has a broken mainboard and has been gutted for spares.
    The working slim PS2 is modded so I can do disk swap to play my PS1 games.
    The fat PS2 won't work with anything but a DS2 so no GH.
    1 of the DSs has a suspected dead mainboard.
    1 of the DSs has a hinge missing. Hence the case. This doesn't prevent me playing its just a constant pain in the arse as its the hinge that makes the screen 'click' into place.
    The GBC has 4 games and I don't like Pokemon (which BTW is one of the most overrated games EVER you spend 8 days walking through a wood only to find you have to go back WHAT'S ALL THAT ABOUT).

Omega when I start playing I can play for days non-stop yet the second I stop I don't think I have a reason for going on them. I can't argue I have no games... http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1992/games1z.jpg

This must be the single biggest reply on AD. Its definitely the biggest I've done. (Damn I may have inadvertantly started a biggest reply war)

EDIT: I will now precede to edit it 8 times when I find various mistakes

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Presenting my camera;

[​IMG]

Only £230 :)

It's made me reeeaaally want a DSLR though :(

And just go back a page or two if you want to find some PS3 games worth playing :p

11. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread seems to have swapped form chairs to cameras....

The reason I don't buy PS3 games is simply because they're sooooooooo expensive actually come to think of it I forgot to buy Prototype fort' computer. No must not lose focus on buying PSU. hmm Peep Show series 1-5 £15.99 bargain MUST KEEP FOCUS!!!

12. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Then start buying second hand ones or something :p Nearly all the games on my list will be found for under £20, some for under £10 - and what about PSN games? :)

13. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

The Wi-Fi on the PS3 doesn't work it got slowly worse then packed up altogether so PSN is pretty much out of the question unless I messed about doing it through a cable meaning I'd have to move the cable form its current job and move the PS3 to a crappy SD telly then do it.

Nowhere near where I live does second hand PS3 games at fair prices theres Cool Spot that I now remember has packed up (I think), Game that charges more for pre-owned then new and that's it. And I ain't messing about with Ebay again the thing gets on my nerves.

:) gotta love 7-zips Ultra mode 6.3GB to 3.34GB. I need to backup 115GB to an 80GB drive so I can swap to 64-bit 7 RC.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wow, how did you break all of that?

i have a snes without a plug end, just the lead... LOL

a fat ps2 which DRE'd on me a good 3-4 times, and a slim with a red and silver case that i put on, and swap magic = win :) my OG PS1 also was chipped ;)

had a DS fat and Lite with an EZ-Flash IV, before i got bored of it now i want one for pokemon :(.. BTW YOU DONT LIKE POKEMON!!! WTF, YOU HAVE LOST ALL MY RESPECT :p, but seriously, all pokemons > most games!, id put pokemon 3rd.

COD4 (PC)
    GTA Vice City (PS2)
    Pokemon Emerald (GBA) (i also had a GBA SP, and a GC)
    Duke Nukem 3d
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 2

i also wanna give an honourable mention to Metriod Fusion and the first harry potter game on the PS1.

BTW ebay has sup cheap PS3 games. picked up resistance 1 for £4.79 and kill zone 2 for £11.50.

15. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

GTA Vice City and San Andreas on PS2 - doesn't get much better than that... GTA IV absolutely sucks in comparison to those :p

Shame about the second hand games :( But yeah, you can't really go wrong with ebay for things that don't cost much - i mean if you actually buy from people that have this thing we like to call *positive feedback* :D Plus PayPal would refund your money if you ever got conned...

Pokemon games are awesome, my Pokemon games in chronological order; Red, Yellow, Silver, Pinball, Crystal, Sapphire, Leaf Green, Diamond, Platinum :) Can't wait for HeartGold and SoulSilver :p

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ahh I still play Pokemon when I'm watching TV or on long trips. My GBA SP is still my favorite handheld ever. The best one I'd say is Blue/Red, followed closely by Gold/Silver. Overrated my ass. It's the perfect formula for a handheld game!

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Shokz. Why do you think that GTA IV sucks? I like it quite a bit. Especially for its graphics :D Makes me laugh at least as much as the previous games.

18. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

It's all too samey, it's too gritty and not jokingly "upbeat" enough like the others, it doesn't have the bright colours of Vice City, it doesn't have the open spaces of San Andreas and the contrasts between the areas, no jetpacks and rhinos and hydras and parachutes, no massive jumps. I hate the way Niko seems to not comprehend what a seatbelt is, i hate the way the cars roll so much when you turn corners, i hate that there's no crazy missions any more, i hate the way the graphics have tried to move away from cartoony but just not quite made it, i hate the way half the streets in the game are practically the exact same, i hate the way it's just one damn city and that's all there is to it. The characters don't grab me as much as the old ones, i couldn't care less about any of them...

In other words, i think they've forgotten what a GTA game should be...

I guess it's all the more sour because i'd waited for that game since '06 (and especially after the first trailer at the start of '07) and it let me down... There was a lot of promise which i think was wasted...

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think I understand. You make multiple good points there. Fact of the matter is, I didn't play the previous GTA's much. So this one to ME is like candy. LOL! I do however like the rocket pack in san andreas :(

20. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Made quite a lot of little edits to that post, there :p

And yeah, i've noticed that people that have only really playing IV but not the other GTAs can't find anything wrong with it - it's sort of like the film of a book is usually poor compared to the book, but if you haven't read the book then the film seems good, if you get me :)