1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what should i use?

im thinking of trying world of warcraft. looks like a cool game.

i have my res on my monitor set at high right now my max is 1440x900

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3dmark06 is the most well known version at the moment. As for World of Warcraft, it's a very popular game, but I warn you, everyone I know who played it got hooked!

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

is it a hard game to learn?

so 3dmark06 is what i need to run? should i do it at a lower res or keep my current res?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm. The difficulty with 1440x900 is you can't actually run it at default res, 1280x1024. However, your score will be similar enough for it not to matter.
    As for WoW, I don't play it myself, so not sure.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i dont have a 1280x1040 setting.
    i have
    1280x800
    1280x768
    1280x720

im actually running the 1280x800 right now. it looks odd compaired to the 1440x900 ive been running it at.
    i also have a 1360x800 just under the 1440 setting

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You won't see 1280x1024 because your monitor doesn't have enough pixels to display it...
    The reason why 1280x800 looks odd is because it's a non-native resolution - as such all the pixels have to be approximated, so the picture will loom blurry and naff compared to the native, or correct resolution.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats why i set it back to 1440x900. much better.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. By the way, loving the fly signature. I know someone else who has it as a forum avatar, I really like little tricks like that! :)

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well just use the resolution closest to the 3DMark06 default resolution, because I think it affects the score.

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

All right, was just thinking about getting a new video card, but before I even ask a question here, is a video card different than a graphics card or are they one and the same?

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Same thing. Post the specs of your PC and we can recommend a video card.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Agreed, tell us your specs, most importantly what card slots you have and what kind/power of PSU you have.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: It does. Fortunately at 1.296 vs 1.311 Megapixels, 1440x900 is close enough not to be too much of a problem.
    Fredbun: What sort of games will you be playing? If you have a not so nice PSU, but plenty of games you need to play, you may want to consider upgrading both.

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hi Guys, actually I still do not know what kind of card I have, and no I am not a gamer, I have been getting blue screen errors with messages, after I re-boot always get the your system has recoverd from a serious error blah blah, and always says mostly caused by driver error and for some reason it might be my video card I'm thinking even though I know it might be a hundred other things.

And the way it explains about finding out which driver it can be it was a nightmare just reading about it, after talking to one friend he also said maybe my video card is going, either way sooner or later I;m gonna get a card and also a decent sound card, my pc is a hp media center m7330n, its not hot rod like you guys mostly use or build but I like it, never had this problem since I had it 3 years, so to fix it I would like to insert much better parts than the standard ones if need be.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

hey fred, your son back yet so you can make your build?

look inside you computer, do you have acard or a onboard?

if its a card, clean the fan becuase it maybe overheating due to dust, also check your CPU heatsink for that aswell.

BTW do you remember when me and russ were discussing nvidia partners makign their own boards, which i said they do not. i can back it up :)

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8327&Itemid=1

and sam, this is the 4850x2 :) (although it maybe called a 4870X2 with GDDR3)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not really backing it up, it's backing it up for the GTX200 series, I already knew they were only reference designs, most cards are at launch, the 4800s have been no exception so far either. However, when you see clear giveaways like the HD3870 and 8800GTs made by Asus and XFX, the evidence is indisputable that both companies have cards that are assembled by the partners, not just boxed and sold.

I'm interested in the HD4850X2 though, hook me up with two of those! lol

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really. It's not much faster than a 7600GT, the HD2600 Pro wasn't considered a very good card, none of the 8 series midrange cards were much good to be honest. Stick with your 7600GT for now, it's fine.
    The only reason you'd want an HD card is to use it for HDTV purposes. The 2600 pro is no worse than your 7600GT, so if you want to use it for that then great, but for a performance upgrade, look elsewhere.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

cool thanks sam. im wanting to get a better GPU but im not wanting to spend a couple hundred bucks to get one right now. figured if i could swing one for less than a hundred i might go that route if not than i will wait till next year when i do my quad build...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you've no need to desperately get a new GPU, wait for a while. Something worth buying will be under 100 dollars before you know it.