1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

About the only Intels I've had, were hand me downs. AMD always seems to hit a good price/value ratio for me.

Surgery. The only thing they've acknowledged, is a 2cm Hiatal Hernia. Whatever's going on, it's taxing me big time. With my excellent medical coverage, I can't see staying on potentially debilitating anti-acids(Omeprazole), when there's a surgery that'll correct the anomaly. Chances are I'll be on medical leave for the standard 6 weeks. But I'm waiting til January when the busy season at work is over.

Yup! I bought a house. This guy has a mortgage. Finally! Appraised for 77K, Loan is for 62K. I stand to make a little bit, once I've fixed her up. But I dunno. It has a shop, that has both my brothers jealous lol The lady I bought from wanted it done quickly, and also is a friend of the family. Win win for her and me.

2. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Hey guys, what's up!

The last cpu try was a total failure. The eBay seller is upset at me - haha - details below. I also figured out how to get some pictures out of my phone and then to my web site, and then here to after dawn so you can see them full-size, as photobucket now shrinks the jpgs for the last few years.

But first ...........

Kevin - your House!!!

So yes, you do own it, and you said it has a work room that is the envy of your two brothers!! Is that a room inside the house, like some people have a darkroom, or is it a section of the garage. That sounds great!

Yeah, fix the house up and keep it for a while, unless you get an itch to become a real estate speculator - a lot of people have made money by buying fixers, living in them, selling at a profit, then doing it again, and again. If that works for you, and you enjoy it - yes it can be profitable.

And the idea of fixing the hernia also sound much better than continuing to take medicine for it - let them go in and cut the irritating thing out! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On other news - the cpu did not work - AGAIN.

I WON'T BE GOING WITH 2012 TECH AFTER ALL

So I will definitely keep this bad motherboard as a great PSU load test - part two of the load test, besides just turning on the green ready light, is that the motherboard starts and the two on-board component hsf fans spin rapidly - and any of up to two additional fans in the two cpu fan headers will also spin up (even with two that would add only about another 3-5 watts, so it doesn't make much difference on the load.)

I actually just tested 7 PSUs, 3 of which are bad, using two testers, and two load tests. This sabertooth with two degrees of load testing - the green ready light, and then turning on the board - you might think, so what?

Here's what. One bad PSU will turn on the sabertooth ready light. Okay, great. But then when you start the board by shorting the two pwr pins on the lower right edge of the mobo, that PSU will not run the fans - they sit there and jerk in time with a clicking noise from the power supply. So if you were just using the ready light as an indication of good PSU, you would be mistaken - actually starting and running the board and its two hsf fans causes that PSU to fail the load test. (It also fails the PSU testers - especially the $35 Dr. Power II tester which lights up red, and with F displayed for most of the voltage measurements.)

So, I guess you've been right all this time, Jeff - you said it was a bad motherboard.

THE EBAY SELLER IS NOT HAPPY WITH ME
    The seller, with his 30 day return, is ticked off that I am returning the cpu. He is trying to get me to say that I have determined that the cpu is defective (which I believe would lead him to make the claim that I ruined the cpu.) On the return reasons, I chose the one that said "No good, defective."

But the way he was phrasing it made me think he was preparing to try to make a case with eBay that I had ruined his perfect cpu. He kept saying - in two different emails -

"You put it into a computer that had multiple failed components, and then you determined that my cpu, which was 100% healthy when I removed it from the system it was in, was defective - is that right?"

So in several responses, I told him, "The answer to your question is No." Hahahahaha. :p

"I did not make any determination that your cpu was defective, only that it did not work - at least for me. The red cpu led light is still on, and the board will not boot to bios. I told you ahead of time before the purchase that I was trying to get that red led cpu light to turn off. I have no way to determine whether or not your cpu is defective. " :confused:

I added,
    "I placed it momentarily into the motherboard, but the red light remained on. So I put it back in that nice anti-static bag you sent it in. If your cpu was good when you sent it to me, it's still good. If it was defective, then it's still defective. I told you ahead of time my exact situation, and that on the internet the only cure for that red cpu led light being on, was to replace the cpu. I chose your listing because of the 30 day return. I authorize a $15 restocking fee which should cover your postage costs."

It was kind of funny - it felt like being in a courtroom with two lawyers arguing - one lawyer trying to trap the other lawyer into making a damaging statement.

This guy can try to NOT refund my $100, but I think his case is very weak.

However, just for my own information, I did some googling yesterday - "can a bad motherboard ruin a cpu?" and it actually is possible, if the voltage regulators in the motherboard are defective - but it is extremely rare.

Anyway, I didn't tell him this, but I had my finger on the cpu when I was trying to start the board, just to see if it was getting power, and as the cpu warmed up a bit, I turned it off within about 10 seconds - it never got more than lukewarm. So even if the voltage regs were off, I am pretty sure [crossing my fingers] that I did not ruin his cpu. o_O

Another article I read yesterday, about "what is bad, my cpu or my motherboard" included a repair tech who said "in my vast experience with motherboards and cpus, I have replaced 100 motherboards for every 1 bad cpu."

He was undoubtedly exaggerating, but his point was that it is very rare for the cpu to have been damaged, let's say by a power supply going bad - most often the motherboard takes the hit. Another forum said that motherboards are designed to protect the cpu from failure and take the hit themselves.

And Jeff, all along, you thought it was the motherboard, right?

But the whole experience of the power supply failing, still upsets me, and gives me much more respect - AND FEAR OF - PSUs and the damage that occurs when they fail. I have that picture the night before of the whole thing working, and the cpu running cool - just displaying the bios monitor tab - I didn't even have any hard drives attached.

Here below is everything WORKING FINE!!!! The shiny thing is the light shining on the radiator of the Intel water-block. You can see the hoses. I pulled off the water cooler, and I was about to take out that radiator, and replace all that with my TRUE silver arrow cooler, for which I had found the socket 2011 kit. You're looking at 16 gigs of the full 32 gigs of memory - after putting on the air cooler, I pulled off the bottom bank of 16 gigs so I could run two hsf 140mm cooling fans.

[​IMG]

Okay, after a great deal of trouble ... LOL (I had to find and fix my files on how to upload pictures to my web site - in order to get the full-size picture - and then how to load those pictures into after-dawn - whew!) Finally figured it all out - here below is the main picture that I wanted to post - I ended up posting the one above also - showing the system before I added the air cooler.

So looking at the image below, at the very top, almost cut off, is the CPU Temperature displayed on the monitor - we are looking at the UEFI bios - I have no hard drives attached. If you look carefully, you'll see it holding 27 with the air cooler - prior with the failing intel water-block with bad pump (the round gold thing in the picture) it kept rising until it hit 80 and the system re-booted.

I let it do this - running nice and beautifully cool at 27 degrees for 5 minutes, then I turned off the power supply and went to bed thinking I had a good computer. The next morning the power supply failed. WTF!!! :mad:

[​IMG]

Hahahaha -Rich

EDIT:
    YES! The eBay seller tried to pull a 50% restocking fee of $42.65 on me, after I volunteered $15 to cover his shipping costs both ways. I went into eBay dispute, and they ruled in my favor and didn't take out the $15. Did he really think he had a chance to get away with that?

Now I'm going back to read your post, Jeff, and see which Ryzen cpu and mobo I should be considering. Okay, as you suggested, I'm looking at a Ryzen 3700 X with an X470 board. I guess if hyper-threading ever gets in the way, I can always turn it off, then back on for the games that do like it. This will put me on 7 nm, versus 14nm for Intel - for a cooler system.

The cpu comes with a basic hsf, but maybe my impressive silver arrow, in the picture above, will be able to run on it - I did get the thermaltake 100700553 mounting kit, which now does have AM4 support, but if I don't have an adapter in that kit with 54mm x 90mm holes (in the event that newegg sent me old 100700553 pre-AM4 inventory) then thermaltake will send me that plate - I have to do some measuring, and maybe find an old receipt for the cooler to email to them which is what their web site said - or maybe just a recent receipt for that mounting kit.

So, this will be a pricey upgrade, like what you were talking about, Kevin - in the $1,000 neighborhood. (But you made the right choice - a fixer house with workshop comes first!!) I already have about $300 in PSUs and PSU testers (which includes an extra $140 850 watt tested Corsair Rmx PSU in bug-proof sealed box, so that I always have a "known good" psu on hand) and with $320 for the 3700x, plus mobo and memory - I hear that AMD really benefits from fast memory, more than Intel, so I won't scrimp in that department - I'm closing in fast on $1000!

Then with my SSE4.2 taken care of, I'm off to Egypt with AC Origins. :):):)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019