1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My room temp right now is 72F. The AC is of right now because it's morning. But I live in Florida, so I will have to turn it on soon.

Maybe you should invest in Solar cells lol.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ok R700 PREVIEW results, (EXTREMELY EARLY DRIVERS/BIOS, AND ITS AN ENGINEERING SAMPLE)

sorry for shouting, just wanted to emphasise that:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

seems do be doing brillaintly, but that GRID reuslts is weired to say the least with sli/xfire.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

GRiD doesn't officially support dual graphics of any kind, HD3870 crossfire doesn't work with it, and never has, so dual graphics results will always be a bit sketchy with it.
    That performance result is absolutely immense with the 4870X2, if it's true that is. Beating the GTX280 SLI combination is certainly an impressive achievement.

I'm primarily interested in the Age of Conan result, as with those settings I get about 5fps with my HD3870 - did they say where they tested? That game is incredibly variable in performance between areas...
    The 4870X2's TDP is ugly though, about 260W I'd guess from those tests, that's going to be a pain to cool...

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

you still got crossfire? or did you RMA the broken board?

if so i have heard in alot of fourms, that replacing the name of grid.exe to fear.exe makes xfire work.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can't do that with the retail game because then Starforce blacklists the exe as a 'modification'. Perhaps you can do it with the cracked or Steam copy.

As I said, I sold the broken card on ebay.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I hope to see further improvements with 4870X2 performance as new drivers are released. I'd choose Steam over Starforce any day. Easily the lesser of two evils seeing as Steam is usually working 100% of the time :p

Stardock/starforce owe me a new DVD-RW :(

@mrk44, I'm not going into specifics, but my family is relatively poor. I buy all my own PC hardware.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, Steam is certainly a far preferable way to own the game, even if it is usually significantly more expensive (Call of Duty 4 was £24 in shops, £42 on Steam)

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I like Steam because it never requires a disk. That makes my life a bit easier as I usually get cracked exe's for all my games. I hate using disks.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed - so much so there's no DVD drive in my PC any more... hasn't been for months.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey fellas. ;)

I didn't think that I would come here but here I am.. lol.

I have a PNY 8800GTS 320MB gpu and I'm wanting to make sure it's running within parameters. I just upped the fan speed to %75 so that has helped a bit but NOT to the extent I thought it would. It seems the Mobo temps and GPU temps are a bit high.. I need to do a heatsink mod but I'm gonna wait for a bit.. I wanna see what's going on with the Striker Extreme.. I may have to order another mobo... NO jumping to conclusions. :p

link to Everest for temps

The PNY 8800 is installed on a Gigabyte P35-DS3P and it ran very cool before the installation of the 8800.. I'm just unaccustomed to the 8800 video card so I may be a little paranoid for now about the temps. :p I'm gonna do the "heat sink" mod sooner than later but I wanted to get some "other" expert advice on possibility of other avenues for 'modding' the gpu for now.. tia..

.....gm

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's in the eighties or less, it's probably fine.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

OMGosh are you serious?? I haven't read enough about them obviously. lol. Is there anything you can do to improve temps?? After market cooler, re-seat heatsink with "better" thermal paste, or fan management? tia.... ;)

....gm

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All of the above really Gm, but yes high end video cards will quite happily run in the 80s under load.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK.. let's try this.. lol.

If you had this video card would you do anything to it for better cooling or would you be happy with the way it's running?? It's the first "high" end gpu that I've ever had and I've been thrown into some quick learning. ;)

PNY 8800GTS 320MB XLR8 series link to review

...gm

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How hot does it get under load?

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

How do I test it?? I don't have any of the SUPER DUPER games that you guys play. ;) Sorry for the lack of intelligence on this subject. ;) AND thanks for your patience helping me.... :D

...gm

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So... Pinksman, you GONNA be doin any gaming on that thing? If not, send it over my way ;) lol jk

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Boozer I know you.. you were NOT j/k. :p The only way it's going your way is under heavy payment.... :D

Sammy I'm testing it right now... Have NO clue what I'm doing so I'm having fun.. lol. Already had a BSOD determining max core and now about to check it for max memory... if that's correct.... :p

....gm

20. icemen

icemen Regular member

Hey ppl

quick question if the graphics card has tv out on it do I still need a tv card to watch tv on the pc or not?