1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

TO: caucano,

What version of Windows are you using? I can't speak for XP Pro SP1 or SP2. However, Due to an engineering error, the HD Audio bus driver that shipped in Server 2003 SP1 and Windows XP x64 Edition
    contains what is called ¡§time bomb¡¨ functionality that prevents the use of the binary after a certain date.
    That date was August 1st 2005 and users may find their audio device stop working after that date.

If the following conditions are true, the computer Intel High Definition audio functionality unexpectedly
    quits working:¡E The computer is running either Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    or Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

IE; The computer has an Intel High Definition audio device.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs because of a problem in the Intel High Definition audio driver that
    is included with Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

For the versions I mentioned, follow these links and see if they help;

Server 2003 (x86): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...06-15B3-4A65-8C52-746BEB24E86C&displaylang=en

Server 2003 (x64): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...06-50EE-4458-902F-F9FC59201B04&displaylang=en

XP Pro x64 Edition SP1&2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F1-065C-41E8-A148-9D79BD9D24F9&displaylang=en

Installing SP2 for XP should solve this issue. I'd suggest you just intergrate SP2 into your SP1 or base CD to limit the problems in the future. The reason this happened has been addressed by Intel for future OS releases.

2. caucano

caucano Regular member

Hmm, I am running basic windows xp pro. I'll have to incorporate xp2 into the base cd...how would I go about this?

Thanks,

PS - I have yet to try the hotfix suggested by sammorris...will do when I get home

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Just download and install SP2 on your current platform for now. It's always a good idea to download and install any updates manually after a new install anyway. You can integrate SP2 onto your XP OS cd-rom later to save yourself from this problem on future installs of your XP OS that is if SP2 resolves your issues.

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

There are several ways but The few ways I know will require making a bootible ISO image of the finished project. So before we begin, please let us know what CD burning software you have to work with. I suggest Nero Burning ROM, as I can walk you through this one. If any other, we may need support from others on this forum.

For starters, you need to open your origional XP CD in My Computer (note the complete disc name in incon, you'll use this later), then copy the contents of the CD to a temp work space. IE: C:\XPCD. Then, either from CD or Download file, you need to aquire the Service Pack 2 exe file. Create another folder to put the SP2 file in. (IE: C\SP2\) To simplify the rest , rename this SP2 exe fiel to something like sp2.exe Work with this then let me know if you have Nero Burning ROM (part of the Nero Suite, but not included in OEM). v6 or 7 is fine.

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

TO: caucano,

obove advice from "Mort81" is good idea for now. Save the SP2 exe file for later use. You can make it a new learning experience and fill proud of your work. If you are planning a new install anyways then now would be a good time to Slipstream. Do it now while you have an OS to work in or on another PC with installed software. To add, you will also need ISO Buster (by Smart Projects). any trial version should be fine if only using it for this project. This is needed to extract the bootible image from Microsoft CD thet explorer can't see and be able to use it when creating your bootible ISO CD project in Nero

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It looks like you are in good company with the problems you are having.

http://www.thepatri0t.net/2006/10/14/asus-p5b-deluxe-problems-solution/

You could try a BIOS update and see if that then allows you to install the drivers.
    If it was me, I'd remove all the sound drivers first, edit anything to do with them out of the registry and then do the BIOS update.
    I would also use the latest full drivers from
    http://www.thepatri0t.net/2006/12/07/asus-p5b-deluxe-drivers/
    or BETA from
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Either way, it looks as though the sound on the P5B is going to dissapoint you when it is working, everyone is moaning about hissing and crackles.

Maybe better off, just getting a seperate sound card rather than getting too stressed out about it.

7. ogstylin

ogstylin Member

I'm having trouble finding out how to configure my CPU speed. I have an old mobo with Pentium2, the mobo has no Manufacturer or Model info when I check it out on CPU-Z. What it does say is...
    CPU:
    Specification: Intel Pentium II 350MHz
    Family: 6 Model: 5
    Core speed: 348.5 MHz Mulitplier: 3.5
    FSB/Bus Speed: 99.6 MHZ

MOBO:
    Chipset: Intel i440BX/ZX
    Southbridge: Intel 82371 (PIIX4)
    Bios: Version : 4M4PB0X1.15A.0018.P09

I cant figure out what mobo I have to look for dip switches n whatnot nor can I configure the CPU speed from BIOS. So any geniuses out there, can you please help me out

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

ogstylin

Wow, this takes me back. I discovered the fun of overclocking on a PII set up. So I'll can help as best I can. First, are you looking on the mobo itself (part number etc. - what is it say?) or just via software. Try an older version of CPU-Z to see if it can read more info? (like v1.29). Are you saying you are looking to overclock it? If it turns out a crap board then ask around for an old die hard mobo like the ASUS P3B-F,, last of the best in my opinion for the PII/III slot 1 and most S370 on a slot converter. I I left off on 1 of them w/ a PIII 933/512/133/2.7v OC'd to 1.050GHz 1:1 PC150 Corsair SDRAM.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i have tried every thing i can and i cant get it to boot with my fsb above 1500, i have even added a fan to the nb hsf (im currently thinking about a hsf for the sb).

picture says a 1000 words an all.
    [​IMG]

10. ogstylin

ogstylin Member

@ NuckNFuts
    Yeah I was looking for what kind of mobo I have, still havent found out, wondering if might be printed on the thing itself somewhere. And I was looking to overclock but it seems like that wont be possible. Thanks for the help & info though.

11. caucano

caucano Regular member

@mort81 and nuckNfuts...I will upgrade to sp2 as per your suggestions. the problem is that currently I don't have internet at home so it is hard to get the upgrade...currently writing to you guys from my work pc. So until I get internet at home I won't be able to upgrade. That is why I wanted to upgrade the drivers for now...by downloading a 2MB file here at work and taking it home. And yes, I have nero 7. I guess when I actually get the sp2 exe file I'll have to try what NuckNFuts suggested.

@BigDK I'll try the drivers you suggested thank you! I am currently using the latest rev of the BIOS so that cannot be the problem. and yes I heard about the cracks and hisses. But I don't want to buy a sound card unless I have to, I really don't need 70dB noise suppression or whatever :p

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

just ran occt and nps, temps hit 40c for cpu and 36c for mobo.

3dmark06
    3DMark Score 3637
    SM2.0 Score 1408
    HDR/SM3.0 Score 1270
    CPU Score 2845

strange thing is i lost 8 points on the sm3 score.

might try messing with the pcie buss tomoz and see if that unlocks any more.

edit
    temps wrong way around do'h

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@marsey99
    Have you tried to drop the cpu multiplier when you raise the fsb.
    If you're still locked at that fsb with a lower multiplier then at least you're looking at the mobo/memory setup, not cpu.
    If you drop the multiplier back to 6 and then try to raise the fsb and see where that gets you.
    Also what memory are you using, and what timings do you have set, you may need to up the memory voltage and slacken the timings a bit.

List the following, or take screen shots:
    CPU voltage temps idle and load core not board sensor). (37 wasn't too high at all) Plus what CPU cooler are you using?
    NB voltage temps idle and load (34 shown looked okay)
    Memory specs, timings and voltage.
    SB won't be holding you back.
    There should be plenty there, as the board will ge to 500FSB with the right memory, if you're using anything other than 1:1 on the memory multiplier, then change it.

I've now got my new cooler for my E4300 CPU on the P5WDH.
    I went for the TT Sonic Tower, and fitted a standard12cm fan to it.
    I also changed the NB cooler from the standard one which I had fitted a 4cm fan to and now fitted a Thermalright HR-05-SLI cooler with a 7cm fan fitted to that.
    So far haven't had time to up the system, but at 400x6 2.4GHz the CP is now idle at 28`c and the Mobo idles at 33`c.
    Ran OCCT 100% on both cores for half an hour and cores got the mid 50's, but no problems.
    Will clock it up to 3.6Ghz again later and see what the temps are like, then will run what benchmark tools I can.
    Probably looking at running at 400x7 2.8Ghz for 24/7 use as its still a good OC but not too stressing on the system.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I can't decide whether to run everything the way it is currently: multiplier @ 9, fsb @ 355.3mhz, (3.1976ghz), memory @ 444.1mhz and fsb:dram ratio @ 4:5 or change the multiplier to 8 and set the fsb to 400mhz (3.2ghz) and set the memory to 400mhz thus changing the fsb:dram ratio to 1:1.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I would run some bandwidth tests to see what the performance difference is with both.
    I can't remember the numbers for the fsb latencies, i'm sure its okay up to 400 before you hit the next jump down in performance on the chipset.

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think that it has hit its limit at around 370(1480 fsb). even at x6 it will either hang on the xp loading screen or crash as soon as it loads. tried dif volts for both cpu and nb with no change in results.

not that it bothers me too much, it will still hit +68% oc which is still great in my book.

looks like those reviews that hit 2100 fsb might of been hand picked samples?

my other stuff.

freezer 7 pro (with corner cut off to clear nb heat sink running 2700rpm ish)
    60mm fan screwed onto nb hs (running 4500rpm ish)
    2 x 1gb dominator cas 4
    psu with adjustable fan(was running full at the time rpm unknown but its loud for a 120mm)
    phong II case with both (120mm and 140mm) fans on full too (1400rpm).

so those temps are a bit lower than they will normally be as i wont always be running all the fans on full.

i cant remmember which forceware i was using to get me higher tho, i think it might be the beta one will try that one after.

17. tman69

tman69 Member

Hey guys...
    Please please give my your opinions and suggestions Concenring the following:

I am currently running a Intel Core 2 E6600 on my Intel Bad Axe Mobo with just normal
    straight forward 2x 1gig ddrII 667Mhz RAM.

But as you all might have guessed, im not satisfied with it I want to overclock!
    Firstly I want to invest in a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu CPU cooler to ensure that everything runs cool.
    (or maybe something else? suggestions?)

I was thinking to overclock it to bout 3.5Ghz? will this be Stable? Is there anyone that has
    overclocked a E6600 before?
    Im not really experienced in this field, so I dont have any idea of what is possible.

Thanks

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol that pc must be deafening.

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

lol

next to my 10 month daughter its wisper quiet but it wont always be like this. to be totaly honest its not much louder than my whiny 7600gt fan but a replacement for that will be soon.

@tman

bigdk has one in a dq6 running 3.7ghz (water cooled) so im sure he can help get near that speed on air.

as for a heat sink fan i use a artic cooling freezer 7 pro on my 4300, i have also read good things about the tuniq tower 120. those zalmans seem to be very quiet but that equates to less cooling at high overclocks.

im sat here scratching my head, yday i tried every thing to get it above fsb 1500, today i cant get it to post at 1333 (x9) but it will post at 1600fsb (x6) (its auto volts, i tried it all man yesterday and they all failed wtf is going on?).

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=172939

im going to try now at higher multies

edit

more puzzling, it woundn't post at x7 but at x8 nps.?wtf?

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=172942

i think this might be my day to day clocks, im going to see if it will creep any higher like this keeping it 1:1 as im sure my ram will have a bit of wiggle room. something to try over the weekend me thinks.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My X1900XT is also really noisy but that's going to be changed soon thanks to Thermalright. A problem that's recently developed however is that since the Freezer 7 pro exhausts into the Power supply rather than the rear case fan on my motherboard (I can't have it facing sideways because the HS on the northbridge is too big), the PSU is now twice as noisy presumably because it gets very hot. The air out of it certainly is. I'm going to try and reduce the noise by using the silica bracket they give you and perhaps some rubber spacers but if it becomes a real problem I'm going to need to look for a smaller N/B heatsink.

Does anybody know if I could alleviate the situation with a Noctua NH-U6? I know it's no smaller but being a different shape and orientation, if I can get away it, I ideally do still want a fanless chipset cooler.