1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sam just take a stanley (failing that a kitchen) knife to the fan mount. unclip/unplug it from the heatsink/mobo and you will need to take about 4mm in and 1 or 2mm up from the bottom left hand side.

then you can mount it so that its not blowwing into your psu. it took me about 3 mins to do. you cant see that its missing unless you stick your head into the case as its underneath and blocked from view.

mounting it east to west over the cpu will also aid in cooling your ram as the air in is pulled over them.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's one option, but as you may or may not have noticed, I'm a bit of a Silent PC enthusiast, which is why ridding myself of the X1900 stock cooler is happening soon, and why I'm moaning about the noise of the Power supply. To that end, since I'm overclocking my E4300, it will need good cooling, and a 92mm fan can only do that so well. Consequently, I may be electing to get something a bit bigger, I'm thinking about the Noctua NH-U12F and a Noctua NH-U6 for my northbridge. First of all, can I fit these two together in my board? I've used a Noctua 120mm case fan for a bit and I think it's brilliant, so I'm keen on using one for my CPU. The only real concern I have is whether or not Socket 775 is strong enough to support something that heavy. Bearing in mind my PC gets lugged to and fro LAN parties, I need to make sure it's stable.

Oh and on the quiet PC, a few people questioned the use of an Antec 900 for a silent filePC, it's one of the quietest PCs I've ever owned, with the fans on low, it really is quiet, despite the number of them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@tman69
    I have my E6600 running at near 3.8 on my board.
    Very easy CPU to OC, you have a good board there, you may find the memory holds you back from getting to 3.5ghz, depends how well it OCs, better off avoiding memory dividers.
    Any help I can give, will be glad to do so.
    I used to have the E6600 on my P5WDH which is similar to your board with the 975 chipset.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sam i have just been looking at the review of it on cpu3d and i think the backing plate it uses will have no problems taking the weight but im not sure if the mounting on the top will fit with the nb heatsink being so close to the cpu. unless you mount this sideways too.

its a nice looking unit tho and i think uv would make those fans stand out.

link to review

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

sammorris,

THe weight is not so much an issue as it is for the bulkyness of the Noctua NH-U12F & it being top heavy. Look nice though and very close to a Thermalright Ultra 120 i use. Not to mobile and w/ 2 fans at med - high, the taller units tend to cause a vibration to mobo in a tower case The Zalman CNPS7700-Cu was a more 918gr but with a lower and more snug fit. So yes, LGA775 can handle the weight. As long as you have a back plate/brace to support (back of mobo). For something more mobile and compac but cool, look into some products from Thermalright. If I use any other cool that's not a Zalman, these are them. Look at the XP-120 for nearly 1/3 the weight as NH-U12F and very low profile and mobile friendly. I had the older copper on a P4 and loved it.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Noctua fans aren't very UV reactive, I've already seen that, and although I was tempted to paint one with UV paint it's questionable since I don't want to ruin the appearance of such an expensive fan.
    I don't mind which way up the chipset cooler runs, but it will need to clear my future graphics card cooler, the HR-03.

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

sammorris;

MOst of the bigger 120 units use standard fans you can just buy 2nd set to paint and see if you like. Use somewhere else if you don't like. Also can simply swap out for lighted LED fans. Or Nexus makes nice orange UV reactive fans for even their PSUs. I painted the custom made fan of my old Zalman 7700-Cu and it looks great and much brighter then lighted one I got a few months later (7700 Fatality for Abit)

[​IMG]

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

How you guys getting the images on post? I followed the info in reply but came up as you see in last post (box w/X where pix is supposed to be). Does the pic need to from a certain websight to download. Where do I move the pic from my PC to?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd recommend www.imageshack.us , I'm not even american and I use it.

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've just put a Thermalright HR-05-SLI cooler with a 7cm fan on my P5WDH NB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Replaced the E6600 retail CPU cooler on the E4300 with a TT Sonic Tower, with a standard 12cm fan, but I had to mod fit the fan.

[​IMG]
    This was before I lapped the base.
    This was a fan taken from Stacker 830 case which got replaced by an Akasa AK-183-L2B.

The S Tower works a treat, but was a total pain in the arse to fit, as the cross bar to hold it in between board brackets, was the wrong angle, and needed modding.

It's not going anywhere now it's on though, and is very light.

I prefer photobucket for my images, as I kept getting problems posting pics with Imageshack.
    [​IMG]

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You like akasa fans BigDK? Personally I thought they were noisy and cheap, but maybe I just experienced the wrong ones...

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The little one on the NB cooler is exactly that 'cheap and loud' but then it's a step up from the 4cm fan I had on the standard NB cooler in performance, long term it'll probably have to be changed for a quieter one.

My Stacker case fans however R 18db @ 12V 'pretty damn quiet', I haven't seen to many that come quieter than that, and at nearly £12 a pop that doesn't make them too cheap either, especially with 7 of them.

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i had 2 120mm akasa ambers, not sure of the model, in my last case and the were quiet too. i think they span somewhere btween 1200 and 1400 rpm and they kept that case cool.

that nb heatsink is very nice.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've ran the series of tests on both settings. Benchmark tests w/ sandra include processor arithmetic, processor multi-media, and memory bandwidth, also ran tests w/ Super PI. All the performance tests/benchmarks using sandra were better with the fsb @ 400x8 and fsb:dram ratio @ 1:1 including the memory bandwidth test. There was no difference between the 2 using Super PI.

I'm going to compare now with fsb set @ 360x9 (3.24ghz), memory set @ 900mhz (450x2), and fsb:dram ratio @ 4:5.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty good numbers for those 120mms I got to admit, but manufacturer's ratings are worthless, Thermaltake sell 35dB fans as 21dB. Ironically my Antec case's fans are supposedly 25dB on low, but they actually measure out at 20, mind you they're spec'ed for 1200rpm at that voltage, they only actually run at 800.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

As expected, memory bandwidth is best at 800mhz (400x2). I start experiencing some boot problems with the memory much over 900mhz if I don't raise the dram voltage. Naturally cpu performance increases as core speed increases but as fsb increases so does the memory frequency and I have to increase the dram voltage or lower it under 800mhz. Too bad this mobo won't unlink fsb:dram ratio.

I'm going to run it @ 400x8 with the memory @ 800mhz for a few days and see how it performs with a few encodes. I might end up settling here so I can get the most out of my memory. I know I can get 3.4ghz but at the expense of loss in memory performance. 3.2ghz is plenty fast.

18. tman69

tman69 Member

mkay...
    Thanks guys...
    Thinks I gonna begin now, will let you know of the result

19. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

hey all, been awhile since I've been on here, thanks to all the people who helped me before

uhm so yeah im basically fed up with reading cpu heatsink reviews and comparisons and was wondering if anyone could just show me the light when it comes to cpu heatsinks. Im in canada so I'll be using http://www.ncix.com/

When it comes to the performance vs. noise, I lean towards performance since im used to noise.

The heatsinks ive looked at are:

Zalman FATAL1TY FS-C77 Copper Heatsink
    Zalman CNPS9700NT Copper CPU Heatsink 110MM
    Scythe Ninja Plus REV.B Heatpipe
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
    Thermalright HR-01-775 LGA775
    Scythe Mine REV.B Heatpipe
    OCZ Vindicator CPU Cooler

Any Help would be great

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007