1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. synteck

synteck Guest

Suggestions for some good overclocking fsb,vcore tweaks etc
    Gearing towards a nice 4.0ghz
    For BigDK and all others

My specs
    Mobo: ASUS P5N32 SLI Deluxe NFORCE4 CHIPSET
    BIOS: Last Updated November 3 2006
    RAM: Corsair Twin X 2G
    CPU: Intel 950D Dual Core 3.4 (Presler) (Everest says its ED(exteme edition) but isn't listed in the box)

Revision Stepping : 6 / 2 (0)
    FSB: 800mhz
    *Says also its an ES release

CPU Cooler: Silverstone NITROGON
    PSU: Silverstone Zeus 650w (700peak)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2007
  2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@synteck
    ES Engineering Sample
    Very nice, is it unlocked?

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Bumped my rig up to 3.4ghz. Ran two big folders through rb/cce 3 passes. Cpu bumped 44c a couple times but usually ran in the upper 30's - low 40's. Mobo temp never exceeded 33c and ran at 32c most of the time. All appears to be good.

4. synteck

synteck Guest

Well I think so, I hope I get the right values for a resonable overclock can you sugget me something, i mean the right settings
    such as fsb etc ?

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

TO: synteck;

I also used the P5N32-SLI. Just curious of your experience with it so far. I Never had any good high FSB overclock with mine and RAM settings not locking in as set. This was a little over a yearr ago so hopefully ASUS fixed the bugs. I had a D840 at the time still and could not get back over the 3GHz treashold on the 12x multiplyer. Is there an unlock for use on the D950 or even the E6600 on this mobo now? Mine didn't like PC4300 (Corsair DDR533 @ 3-3-3-8) at stock let alone overclocking. This same RAM has hit over DDR833 on !955x chipset back then (P5WD2). I was thinking of just giving it away so I can try the newer nFortce 590 version with E6600.

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

There isn't going to be much I can add, other than giving theoretical settings which may or may not work.

I think the last comment is what you need to consider, as from everything I've read about that board indicated, that it was a total dud as far as overclocking.

One test showed they couldn't even get an extra 10Mhz out of their CPU.

What the facts are, you'll have to see, but from NuckNFuts input it seems to be confirming what I've seen.

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RE: synteck,

The D950 was a pretty nice overclocker for the last of the NetBurst chips but I never got to run mine on the P5N32-SLI before changing it out. It does nice on the !975x chipset w/ 8 phase PWR at 4.25G (C1 model). I ran a D840 at upper 16x and it did hit 4GHz at a reasonible temp due to the 8 phase pwr it offered bk then. I just couldnt get it to climb over 3.0 (unstable and lag during resets/restarts and return form S$ "hibernate") on 12x and if I could CPU/RAM ratio would not lock to what I set it for. It seamed to preffer DDR800 spd programed for overclocking but not PC533. If you got DDR800, try to lock it FSB1000 (250x17) & RAM to DDR800 and see if it holds for you (unlinked) mine would drop back down to a lower RAM ratio (if I set FSB to 1000 (250x16) and RAM fix @ DDR1000 for a 1:2 it actuall would revert to 2:1 CPU/RAM (DDR533). I never kept it long enough for the latest BIOS update. It did run nice and cool with a P4 660 OCd to 4GH on air but RAM was minimal for OC. I want to move to the nVidia 590-SLI soon anyways.

8. caucano

caucano Regular member

hey guys,

Thanks for your previous help. I finally upgraded to sp2 and the audio problems went away. Not hearing any hisses and cracks from my p5b deluxe, and I hope i don't. So now I'm ready to start OCing. Just couple of simple questions before I begin:

1. should I up the voltage levels as soon as I increase the clock freq? I dont' think I should, given that heat dissipation quadruples with voltage increases. But when do I know that I should up voltage levels and in what regions of the the Mobo?

2. what should be my temperature threshold? in otherwords, at what CPU/Mobo temp should should I turn off the system to avoid causing damage. I am currently using the stock cooler so I feel this is an important question.

Thanks in advance.

9. cp1966

cp1966 Regular member

BigDK;

I recently upgraded my home PC with the Asus P5N-E SLI Mobo, the Intel 6600 Conroe, and Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory.

I have updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version (401 or 402?) and I am intersted in overclocking it. I am using the stock CPU fan, and I used Artic Silver 5 (applied it as described on the AS website, top to bottom with the triangle on the bottom left of the CPU).

Anyways, what do I need to change in the BIOS to start OCing? As in do I need to change the multiplier, voltage settings, memory settings, etc....... I have never OCd b4, but I hear a lot of people OCing this CPU. FYI, I have a 560 watt Thermaltake power supply.

Thanks in advance!

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Unlike @synteck who is using the ASUS P5N32 SLI Deluxe, you chose wisely by getting the Asus P5N-E SLI which is a far better overclocking board.

You should get away with these settings.
    If you need more grunt, then up the multi to x9 and the voltage to 1.5 and see if that works.
    All CPU's are different and some need more juice than others, so you may even get away with slightly less voltas on the CPU.
    If you need any more on your NB then maybe look at cooling it, which is probably a good idea anyway, as they get hot on that board.
    CPU: E6600 2.40GHz @ 3.20GHz (400x8)
    Mobo: ASUS P5N-E SLI (BIOS 0401) @ 400MHz FSB
    Memory:DDR2-800 @ what ever you can set 4-4-4-12 2T or 5-5-5-15-1T Possibly 2T if that doesn't work
    VCore: 1.450V
    NB Core Voltage: 1.53
    VDimm: 2.178V or whatever your memory needs at stock, it may default to 1.8 which will need to be upped.

11. cp1966

cp1966 Regular member

Okay, so those numbers are things that I can change/adjust in the BIOS? Even the memory settings?

12. cp1966

cp1966 Regular member

Are these your stats, or stats that I will get?

"CPU: E6600 2.40GHz @ 3.20GHz (400x8)
    Mobo: ASUS P5N-E SLI (BIOS 0401) @ 400MHz FSB
    Memory:DDR2-800 @ what ever you can set 4-4-4-12 2T or 5-5-5-15-1T Possibly 2T if that doesn't work
    VCore: 1.450V
    NB Core Voltage: 1.53
    VDimm: 2.178V or whatever your memory needs at stock, it may default to 1.8 which will need to be upped. "

And sorry, but what is NB? Is that a typo for MB (motherboard)? :)

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

overclocking on that mobo ivolves a bit of math as the cpu clock is displayed in qdr(x4) so for a 400 x 8 you need to set your fsb to 1600 and your cpu multi to x 8

i have the same board and although i have had very few issues some poeple have had more. i have found that when it hangs after passing the bios if i hold the power button for 4 seconds to power it down it will let you into the bios, others have found reseting it 4 or 5 times in quick succession has worked and some poeple have had to leave the cmos bat out and have the cmos jumpper switched overnight for it to work.

you might want to consider getting some better cooling for the cpu and for the nb (north bridge, its the chip under the silver heatsink next to the cpu) as this board does get hot.

bigdks settings should get you there but if you have any hang ups you might want to set the volts for the cpu and nb to auto as the board seems to set them right (if a little high) all the time.

you want to set your ram manualy but set it to 2t as the bios still is picky about running at 1t.

edit

if you look back a couple of pages you will see some more info about mine.

you also want to turn off all the settings in the bios that you dont need, legacy support, spectrum spread, any ide/sata ports you are not using, qfan (i use speed fan).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Not sure how easy this is for you to see.
    But I made a simple switch out of a chopped down fan mobo header and a toggle switch.
    This mounted on the battery reset pins, and run out the back of my PC.
    Especially useful when OCing a board which needs resetting when a failed OC occurs, saves a lot of fiddling around inside the case and let you keep the system closed up.
    Once made, you can keep it for any system you use from then on.
    [​IMG]

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With my board, if it fails to POST, one press of reset and it gets back to the BIOS and demands you make some changes before rebooting, this is the stock BIOS. Not had any irreparable issues yet.

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

My P5WDH is the same, if it ever does hang, then just powering off via psu switch clears any hang.
    The DQ6 is another kettle of fish altogther, and it's a pain.

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

my last board by asrock (k8nf4) was great with any hangs, just pressing the reset button during post would clear the cmos. i thought this was great as i often needed it when i first started to oc on it.

as yet i have only once reset my bios and that was after i had flashed it to 0401. i had read that you should always do it after a bios flash so i did.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? That's interesting.

19. mudywater

mudywater Guest

Man I have a shisety geforce 7300le that was only 75 bucks and i have noe idea how to properly overclock this thing i guess cuz im a noob. But basically i just ordered a, Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Crossfire PCI-E X1950 XTX, thats a mouthfull, because apparently its good for running revit and thats my job. But anyways in the mean time i was hoping someone could tell me how to overclock this 7300 without hurting my computer, although i could care less if i hurt the graphics card.

20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member