1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

2. synteck

synteck Guest

Interseting site the only thing i'm not sure of is the red part since my hardware will have different temperatures on them how will i get to know the actual dewpoint of my case.

Also my country's humidity is relativly high around 94% is the humidity outside same as inside?

Assuming it would be a YES then:
    CPU
    Temperature CPU: 45° (40C to 60C~)
    Humidity(Outside) According to the forecast: 94%
    Dewpoint would be: 44°

MOBO
    Temperature CPU: 31° (31C to 38C~)
    Humidity(Outside) According to the forecast: 94%
    Dewpoint would be: 30°

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Thats the trouble with taking the temps below ambient.
    Looks like you'll be needing to insulate if you want to drop temps down.
    You get get insulation kit at good PC sites.

4. synteck

synteck Guest

I think i got the idea, so basically to avoid heat dispertion inside the case i need to get good insulation to mantain the coolest temps possible, lets say i reach +10C overall cooling of the case but 31C for the cpu and 20C for the mobo wouldn't the cpu condense since its more likly to get hot?

ALSO

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

synteck;

I have to agree with the other in terms of cost of opperation. It is close in comparible to just convert to a water cooling for CPU,GPU, RAM,& NB/SB. passive cool mosfets and other importent chips with copper sinks. You can still cool the case components but make sure to have a A/C unit with some sort of return air filtration system for moister obsorbsion and thermal control. The inside case temps will be far more managable since hottest parts are being cooled outside the case.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  6. synteck

synteck Guest

Then shall i forget the fridge cooland idea, and pass to water?

7. mudywater

mudywater Guest

well its like i said there is a latch on the fridge that squeezes the cables into the seal and its not leakin. But anyways i left my computer on over the weekend in the fridge and the gpu went from 145 degrees F" down to 115 degrees, not celcius! but farenheit. I dunno how low these water cooling joints go but my next question is can i put the computer in a freezer? I got an upright freezer of craigslist.com with digital temperature control for $40. I can make the temp go from -5 farenheit to +45 farenheit. Would this mess up my computer? Rigging my system into this thing was no problem, in fact i cut a 4in. diameter hole in the side of it and sealed the wires off with silicone and a core layer of bondo, so the dvi and power cable are permanently stuck but i just pinch the speaker out in the top door. I am afraid to plug up this freezer set up before someone gives me the ok on it so someone please let me know if its safe for my computer.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    Sorry to take so long to answer your comment about my comparing the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro vs the 9500LED. I also did the same with the 9500LED vs the Arctic Freezer 64 on the A64 4000+. I've been sick for a while and couldn't sit at the computer for very long without getting dizzy and sick to my stomach. Much better now!

Before anyone comments that it's a lot of work and that no one in thier right mind would go through all of that, let me say that I am pretty much housebound and not always in my right mind. I had the time and the hardware so I thought it was a good idea, besides I was bored silly at the time! Add to that the fact that I was moving my rig to the new case (compliments of Newegg for $0), so it wasn't as much work as it would have been had I started with everything assembled. I installed the 9500 first as the Arctic 7 is much easier to install with the MB installed than the Zalman is.

My first test was on my Asus P5P800 SE/D-940 OC'd to 3.71GHz. The results weren't dramatic but the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ran 2 to 3C cooler right out of the box. After curing the Arctic Silver 5 it averages about 4C lower across the board. It did even better at highest temps. Where I would routinely hit 58C running OCCT with the 9500LED it now once in a rare while will flicker to 52C with the Freezer 7 Pro. I feel that some of this is because of the new C/M Cavalier 3 case, that seems to have better cooling than the cheap Generic case I had before, in spite of 2 additional fans. Even so, the results with the 9500 were not as good as the Arctic in this case!

The BioStar TForce 939/A64 4000+ OC'd to 2.70GHz. results were about the same with the most gain on the higher end. This happens to be the warmest room in the house with only a window Swamp Cooler so I was anxious to see the difference as the room is usually 30C or higher. The temps I was getting with the 9500LED were close to 60C on the high end and now only reach 52C with the Arctic 64.

I know there has been a lot of discussion as to the noise difference between these coolers. I think that the noise depends a lot on the case design. Both the Arctic and the Zalman were louder in the A64 4000+. Part of this has to do with it being in my old generic case, and part of it is the location of the console. On the A64 it sits in a closed corner of computer desk. We cut the back for ventilation. The 90 degree corner just seems to trap more noise. Still, the Arctic is the quieter of the 2 in this case. This may have to do with it being a window case!

With my D-940 in the Cavalier 3 case both are much quieter, but the Arctic is still quieter than the 9500LED. I'm pretty sure that if you installed either of them in a high airflow case like that Rocket looking Xclio case, they both would be quieter yet. There the Arctic should do even better as it's fan has a thermal control on it, so it would rarely if ever run at max speed. 2 250mm 80cfm 800rpm (max) fans with one blowing in the side and one blowing in the front should remove just about any heat. You can also add a fan to the back, but I have no idea why you would ever need to. Reported temperature results on this particular case are very low regardless of what you put in it, even with a Prescott! Yeah, it's ugly but it does grow on you!

[​IMG]

Looks pretty neat in the dark too!

[​IMG]

Again, sorry it took so long to reply.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  9. mudywater

mudywater Guest

ok so i found some answers today and ive found that basically all computer components are safely ressponsive down to temperatures of
    -270 degrees farenheit which means its time for me to bust out the old thermodynamics books and get my brain cookin. Im thinking in terms of liquid helium cooled computers. Thanks to dielectric grease you can save any component in your sytem from condensing air that desides it wants to freeze when the temps drop to low. I am also going to experiment with liquid co2. Butane would be a great coolantr but its just to damn dangerous oh and hey check this guys stuff out. http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=kryotech.shtml i think his ideas were just a little ahead for the time but nowadays.... I actually have found a cryo chamber for liquid nitrogen on ebay for under a grand so thers another idea for more extensive experimentation. I have just set up an athlon 64 3800 motherboard in an old dell dimension body with all the dells old components so this will be my experimentation computer. now i wanna find 2 cheapo video cards to run in sli.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

mudywater;

It may be true for most of these components to survive at below freezing temps but they often do not funtion properly. Especially the CPU and Chipsets. They need to warm to a certain opperating temp. Also, the internal temp is what we want to keep minimal but we can only control the external die surface temp. The idea is not to zap freeze it but rather keep it controled at a steady safe temp. All the mobo components will do just fune if not excelent at just a steady 68F (using a matrix balanced thermal reading in 5 to 8 different areas of the mobo to average out).

as and is a great coolant, so was alcohol, but yes, too dangerous to manage, especially in a custom set up like these. I would try to see if using a water cool set up as mentioned but if needing supreme cooling, the use a waterbath type chill tank to keep to system water to a desired temp (any freon based cooling system can do this at a reasonible cost hour opperation. I havent' finished my test set yet but it wilo be handy to know what the max threashold of the internal die temp is no matter what we freeze the IHS to.

Right now I'm working on a simular unit using mobile heater cores in a series to seal in water chamber to chill via a 12v movile A/C unit. I even have a dehydrator reciever tank w/ moisteure obsorbing csack, thermal control valves for fluid lines, and all electronic thermalstatically controled for energy cost reduction. For starters, the radiators sit in waretcooled glass open tank. So 1st attempt it to just keep water at room temp with A/C control, the chill test comes later.

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

mudywater;

It may be true for most of these components to survive at below freezing temps but they often do not funtion properly. Especially the CPU and Chipsets. Te electrolytic caps around the PWR mosfets need to warm to to work right (this gel hardens as it thickens and looses performances, like a cold battery). They need to warm to a certain opperating temp. Also, the internal temp is what we want to keep minimal but we can only control the external die surface temp. The idea is not to zap freeze it but rather keep it controled at a steady safe temp. All the mobo components will do just fune a steady 68F (using a matrix balanced thermal reading in 5 to 8 different areas of the mobo to average out).

as Butane is a great coolant, so was alcohol, but yes, too dangerous to manage, especially in a custom set up like these. I would try to see if using that water cool set up as mentioned but if needing extreme cooling, drop heat excange core in a waterbath type chill tank to keep to system water to a desired temp (any freon based cooling system can do this at a reasonible cost per hour opperation. I havent' finished my test set yet but it wil be handy to know what the max threashold of the internal die temp is no matter what we freeze the IHS to. I have sean people use even liquid nitro to cool a Pentium 4 and it still got hot while all external parts were iced over like a popsical. So internal die heat is allways gonna be an issue.

Right now I'm working on a simular unit using mobile heater cores in a seriesed together in a in water chamber to chill via a 12v mobile A/C unit. I even have a dehydrator reciever tank w/ moisteure obsorbing sack, thermal control valves for fluid lines (suction throttling valve for water pump), and all electronic thermalstatically controled for energy cost reduction. The beauty of this, is that if so desired, the external heat exchange unit can be placed outdie, in another room or bacemsnt with insulated extension water lines). So we still miantain Cool & Quiet. For starters, the radiators sit in waretcooled glass open tank. So 1st attempt it to just keep water at room temp with A/C control (usually 68f), the chill test comes later. This is far safer and likely cheaper to build and run and upkeep.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

250mm fans, 800rpm and what CFM? The 200mm 800rpm in my Antec 900 puts out 134CFM which I seem to recall being more than those 250s, which surprised me. For cooling that case is about the best I've ever seen. At full speed, the total of 370CFM is completely unnecessary, and noisy, but on minimum speed the fans are all near-silent,

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I remembered reading a while back about a company called Kryotech designing a cooling system for computers that ran the CPU at -40C. This article is old but still relevant.
    I could be wrong but I remember reading several years ago about the Cray also running at even cooler temps than that using Liquid Nitrogen.

I can only guess that a chip like the Conroe 6300 or Alendale 4300 which can both be OC'd 100%, would benefit from that type of technology.

Happy Computering,
    theone

14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs;

I also read some like articles of low, sub zero temps but again, this was the IHS surface temp and internal die was always higher. I'll post a link of some old research I did 3 yrs back when working with the 1 generation Prescotts as soon as I can find them all. A few deal with Nytro coolent.

I heard of an E6300 hitting a 100% OC but it did need water and I'm not too sure how temps were but maybe something like this can sure benifit from one of our ice-box coolers. I'm gonna be moving my old D-950 into a water cooler system. As in the project I mentioned above, you can very easily utilize an existing water cooled drinking fountain or tap into a refrigerator w/ ice/water inside for cooling but inlarge the inside water resivor.

15. mudywater

mudywater Guest

well first off i gotta say thanks for the input from nufnfuts and others. Really helped out. I started a new forum earlier today were i listed a link to the genius kid who eperimented with kryotec chambers to cool his pcu. I think i called it the future of comp cooling or something like that. anyways i guess the idea of a comp in a freezer is out for now.. But i am going to try and put a dehumidifier into the freezer box and drill more holes. This will be tough because the motor to the dehumidifier gives off heat and I am going to allow the freezer to remain at 32 degrees fareheit to see if i can eliminate freezing condensation. As i said this is an experiment and theres no way in hell i would jepordize my new computer over my crazy ideas. oh and btw has anyone heard anything about gigabytes new GA-N680SLI-DQ6 mother board? Quad core quad sli, now thats my kind of booty, would it be possible for me to order one and gut this xps and put the parts into it?

16. mudywater

mudywater Guest

whoops my bad i didnt realize i listed the link to the kryotech kid in this forum

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I'm curious! What speed do you run your D-950 at and on what MB. I've run my D-940 as high as 4GHz but the Asus P5P800 SE MB can't take that for very long, even with the improved Voltage regulation of the new MB. It runs good at 3.71GHz but it runs best at 3.61GHz. I ran OCCT for 23 hours with no errors at that speed and the computer just seems to run better overall. I replaced the P4 with an Athlon 64 4000+ on a BioStar TForce 939 MB for my roomie and it is way faster than the P4 ever was. It does a nice solid 10,000+ MIPS at 2700MHz, runs very cool and he is happy as a clam with it. I just gave him my XMS memory for it and installed his Corsair Value Select in mine as that's how it's being sold. That speeded it up a noticable amount. Nice machine and very fast for a Single Core. The CPU was only $75 and the MB $65 so it turned out to be quite a bargain, and his cost was $0! I sold his MB, CPU and Zalman 9500LED for enough to buy everything needed, with money left over! The best part is that it performs right up there with an FX-57 at 1/4 of it's present cost. Nice company! LOL!

Happy Computering.
    theone

18. mudywater

mudywater Guest

ok well back to OCing. I dont know if i should just wait until i get the motherboard that i was talking about a couple threads back & I know that i dont want to wait cuz i have some crappy patience. But anyways I wanna Oc this XPS in the mean time. I know that some cant be done because of something with the bios and all that jive, i dunno i could bounce around and read that stuff earlier it just gave me a headache. But anyways hopefully someone can help me out with my XPS 400. http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTEzNDYwMTcxODNScUVTYk9kdWlfM183X2wuanBn that big plastic block in the center is the crazy dell cooling system. Can I amp it up voltage wise , Or should i beef up the case with something else? You can try and read the review but they dont give many specs on this comp. Anyways I ran EVEREST home edition to get you guys some specs so hopefully you will be able to help me out
    Field Value
    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID <DMI>
    Motherboard Name Dell Dell DXP051

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel NetBurst
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 800 MHz
    Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type Dual DDR2 SDRAM
    Bus Width 128-bit
    Real Clock 267 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 533 MHz
    Bandwidth 8533 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel Direct Media Interface

Motherboard Manufacturer
    Company Name Dell Computer Corporation
    Product Information http://www.dell.com
    BIOS Download http://support.dell.com
    Field Value
    Video Adapter Properties
    Device Description NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
    Adapter String GeForce 7300 LE
    BIOS String Version 5.72.22.41.31
    Chip Type GeForce 7300 LE
    DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
    Installed Drivers nv4_disp (6.14.10.9131 - nVIDIA ForceWare 91.31)
    Memory Size 512 MB

Video Adapter Manufacturer
    Company Name NVIDIA Corporation
    Product Information http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=products
    Driver Download http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    Field Value
    CPU Properties
    CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 820
    CPU Alias Smithfield
    CPU Stepping B0
    Engineering Sample No
    CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
    CPUID Revision 00000F47h

CPU Speed
    CPU Clock 2794.80 MHz (original: 2800 MHz)
    CPU Multiplier 14.0x
    CPU FSB 199.63 MHz (original: 200 MHz)
    Memory Bus 266.17 MHz

CPU Cache
    L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
    L1 Data Cache 16 KB
    L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID <DMI>
    Motherboard Name Dell Dell DXP051

Chipset Properties
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport i945G/P
    Memory Timings 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

SPD Memory Modules
    DIMM1: Kingston KC6844-ELG37 1 GB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (4.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3.0-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
    DIMM3: Kingston KC6844-ELG37 1 GB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (4.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3.0-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

BIOS Properties
    System BIOS Date 01/03/06
    Video BIOS Date 02/23/06
    DMI BIOS Version A03
    Field Value
    North Bridge Properties
    North Bridge Intel Lakeport i945G/P
    Revision 00
    Package Type 1202 Pin FC-BGA
    Package Size 3.4 cm x 3.4 cm
    Core Voltage 1.5 V
    In-Order Queue Depth 12

Memory Controller
    Type Dual Channel (128-bit)
    Active Mode Dual Channel (128-bit)

Memory Timings
    CAS Latency (CL) 4T
    RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 4T
    RAS Precharge (tRP) 4T
    RAS Active Time (tRAS) 12T

Error Correction
    ECC Not Supported
    ChipKill ECC Not Supported
    RAID Not Supported
    ECC Scrubbing Not Supported

Memory Slots
    DRAM Slot #1 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
    DRAM Slot #2 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)

PCI Express Controller
    PCI-E x16 port #2 In Use @ x16 (nVIDIA G72 Video Adapter)

Chipset Manufacturer
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
    Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm
    Field Value
    South Bridge Properties
    South Bridge Intel 82801GB ICH7
    Revision / Stepping E1 / A1
    Package Type 652 Pin mBGA
    Package Size 3.1 cm x 3.1 cm
    Core Voltage 1.5 V

PCI Express Controller
    PCI-E x4 port #1 Empty
    PCI-E x1 port #5 Empty
    PCI-E x1 port #6 In Use @ x1 (Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection [NoDB])

Chipset Manufacturer
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
    Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm
    Field Value
    BIOS Properties
    BIOS Type Phoenix
    System BIOS Date 01/03/06
    Video BIOS Date 02/23/06

BIOS Manufacturer
    Company Name Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    Product Information http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm
    BIOS Upgrades http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/index.cfm?refererid=40

Problems & Suggestions
    Suggestion Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade? Contact eSupport Today!
    Field Value
    BIOS Properties
    Vendor Dell Inc.
    Version A03
    Release Date 01/03/2006
    Size 512 KB
    Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, LS-120
    Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
    Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, PnP
    Expansion Capabilities PCI, USB

Ok, sooooo I hope I have given enough information for someone to be able to tell if i can OC this joint, and I hope I did not just waste my time going to all this trouble to get a "Nope!". Anyways if it is possible, what type of processor speeds can I look forwards to, oh and btw im not concerned with ocing my RAM But i am interested in ocing everything else, except the crappy ass nvidia card which I already ocd. My new card is supposed to arrive tommorow morning!

19. ademgs

ademgs Member

can someone help i bought the akasa junior fan controller but it is not controlling my vantec tornados.

the fans have a molex and a single yellow wire conected to a 3slot fan output. i have conected the fans to the molex and put the yellow wire into the fan controller but the controller does not change the fan at all.

im guessing that i would need to connect bothe the yellow wire and the black and red wires into the 3 pin slot in th econtroller how will i be able to do this if my assumption is correct

someone please get back to me coz the fans are drivin me mad

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the yellow wire should be signal for detecting fan speed. the red and black are power. red = pos. black = neg.