1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

hey ya'll..i got question doe's anybody know how to overclock a intel celeron 1.9,1200mhz processor 370pin to get little more out of it? if you do pm me and lets talk!!

thanks!!

2. ademgs

ademgs Member

the problem is that the yellow connector is on its own and the power goes to a molex but the controller wants them all together i think.

do you know what adapter i need and if i am even right in the first place?
    thanks

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Is the molex connector a 4 pin like you attach to the psu or a small 3 pin like you attach to the mobo?

bigwill68,

Whether or not you can OC that cpu is going to depend largly on what mobo you have.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RE: theonejrs,

I had it since new on a ASUS P5WD2- Premium !955x @250x17 = 4.255GHz @ 1:1 DDR1000. I had the D-940 on this same mobo a yr ago and it did nice at 4GHz as a daily user but needs good cooling (it was the B2 stepping SL94Q - 130W). In a cool room with good case it did fine cranked up only to 1.450v. It does get hot under load but if you can keep it cool it did just as good as my D-950 @ same speed but w/ ther FSB1000 (250x16). It seam to take the heat like my D-840 at the time (it was a nice overclocker for the time). might near 80c on this mobo before sthrottle back. (the P5WD2 had temp read issues so was maybe really like 68C max under load. Water cool it and I believe it could hit 4.1 or 4.2 as 1066 FSB. But for better results, slap in a !975x ASUS with 8 phase PWR and loads even cooler.

Good luck

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RE: RE: theonejrs,

Oh ya, When I 1st got my D-950 (C1) I had just built the AMD A64 X2 4400+ (939) on ASUS A8N-SLI. I had chances to compare and I really like both. I'm not a gamer so the Intel rig won me over with day to day stability at such high OC compared to the X2 400+ (285x10 = 2.85GHz as 1:1 DDR570. the A64 had the better DDR timings of 2.5-4-4-7 at only 2.8v 2t. I had only 5-5-5-12 @ 2.3v but 1t. It was harder to lock up the Intel on software test. The A64 often required more hard restarts and would slow on warm days. Now the mobo is part to blame and working w/ only 1GB dual as opposed to Intel w/ 2GB dual CH. The 89W versions of these A64s do take the heat well and can take it to 3+ GHz on a cooler mobo. But all in all, the A64 does accel a tad quicker in most apps. It also does so at cooler temps. I will test again to see the bigger difference. I'm am building an X2 4800+ (AM2) for the fam so I can compare it again but with DDR1000.

6. ademgs

ademgs Member

mort the fans have a 4pin molex and a 3pin conector witch connects to the mobo but in my case it would be the fan controller, but the 3pin cannector on the fan only has the yelloe cable for the fan speed but i am thinking that the fan controller needs to connect with the red black and yellow all in the 3pin connector as you would have on a cpu heatsink fan.

is there some sort of cable which will convert the problem or will i have to start cutting cables coz ive never done that before?

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't use fan speed controllers but am pretty sure what you need to do. Maybe somebody that uses controllers will step in cause I don't want to steer you wrong. I don't think the yellow needs to go through the controller. There may also be some wire splicing involved if you want to monitor the fan speed depending on where you are drawing the power from (mobo or psu). BTW not all controllers will work with all fans.

Are you drawing the power from a fan header on the mobo or from a 4 pin molex connector from the psu?

8. ademgs

ademgs Member

the power is coming form a 4pin molex on the psu.
    the fans i have are vantec tornados....and the controller i have is an akasa junior

9. mudywater

mudywater Guest

well damn can anyoone help me out? Oh btw Maxtor external hardrives make great door stoppers!

10. mudywater

mudywater Guest

is it possible to purchase external pci sli port units?

11. ademgs

ademgs Member

mort i also noticed that on the fan conector there is only the black and red cable conected not the yellow one so would that mean that the only wire which needs to go in there are the power cables to control the voltages and could that be done with something as simple as a molex to 3pin adapter cable?

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

As far as I can tell that controller does have fan speed monitoring in which case I was wrong before and you do need to use the yellow wire with it. I can't seem to find any good pics or wiring diagrams for either your controller or your fan. I'll keep looking but it will be a while. Anybody else familiar with these please step in.

13. ademgs

ademgs Member

i found an old akasa fan in a box a second ago and decided to plug it in and it worked the fan has a 3pin conector with red black and white cables, so im guessing that the fan i have needs to be contected to the controller by power and to the mobo for monitoring
    if you agree with that mort would this be what i need

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Mort81

Ok, I'll get you the spects on the board and you see what you think..

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Mort81

Sorry for the double post...I just wanna get as much out of the old boy as ..i can

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ademgs,

Ya I agree. I can't get your link to work though. On an adaptor it looks like you need a male on the 4 pin end. Is that right? What do you need on the 3 pin end? Male or female? Let me know and I'll do some looking. Are you in the states?

I found a wiring diagram for your fan but not the controller. From what I can tell the fan power wires are on a 4 pin molex connector and the speed sensing wire is on a small 3 pin connector that would attach to a header on the mobo. Is that right. Are the fan connectors on your controller 4 pin or 3 pin? Let me know. It might be all you need is a 4 pin to 3 pin adaptor. From what I cold tell on the akasa jr controller there is no fan speed display and you would need to hook the connector with the yellow wire to a fan connector on the mobo and then use some software to monitor the fan speed.

I did find some 3.5" vantec fan speed controllers but they didn't have fan speed display either. That might be the way to go as they should just plug right into your vantec fan. You're going to have to monitor fan speed through mobo header and some outside software with either of these controllers.

17. ademgs

ademgs Member

ye mort i think that is all i need a 4pin molex to 3pin
    the vantec fan has a female 4pin and a female 3pin so all i need to get is a 4pin to 3pin and then stick the yellow wire into the mobo

i am located in the uk so im not to sure where to get the conector but the url i posted erlier was on ebay.uk and i think that was it it was around £2 which is $5.

im kinda disapointed but i dnt no if i should be, i mean for all the noise its making the temps on idle are cpu=25c MB=29c
    does that sound ok to you with 3 tornados they are sposed to be the best 80mm fan and i have 3 and a scythe infinity running at 1500rpm thats 300 over what they say it runs at. leme no what you think.
    i only have my e6300 clocked at 2.8 on an asus p5w dh deluce mobo.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Ya those temps are great. Wish I could say the same for mine right now. Today's the 1st warm day we've had this year and the ambient temp in here right now is 24C. I usually keep it around 21C. At 21 my cpu runs about 33-34 and my mobo runs at about 32-33 but today with the higher ambient temp my cpu shot up to 39 and the mobo is at 34. Might have to look into some more case cooling myself before summer gets here even though I hate to since you can barely tell my pc is on by the sound.

I don't know where to look in the UK but just be sure both ends of the adaptor are what you need. Male or female.

19. ademgs

ademgs Member

thanks mort just another quick question what is the max i can clock an e6300 on air and what are the temps the system should not reach when at the max clock

and mort if you want a serious fan check out the Delta TFB1212GHE Extreme. it can push up to 220cfm at 4600RPM but you will have to put up with 65dba it cost $29 form sidewindercomputers.com

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ademgs.
    The single yellow wire goes to the speed sensor pin on the fan plug on the MB. I have some Thermaltake Thunderblade fans and they are all that way. otherwise the software can't read the speed of the fan and report it. The power to the fan goes from the output of the controller. Thermaltake uses a plain molex 4 pin plug for the power to the fan.

Hope this helps,
    theone