1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

synteck,
    The closest thing I can think of would be CO2. Unfortunately the public has to be protected (from ourselves)! Things like Liquid Nitrogen can easily be used to kill someone so it's controlled. Imagine someones heart suddenly being turned to ice and you sort of get the picture. Better yet imagine a bird flying through some Liquid Nitrogen and falling to the ground and shattering into a million pieces. Scarey stuff, Nitrogen!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. synteck

synteck Guest

BigDK
    But is Dielectric Grease required for that setup?

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You can get away without it, depends on how good the head seal is.

4. synteck

synteck Guest

but is it usally required, and can it be taken off easily?

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Best to read up on the link I gave earlier.
    They'll be plenty of people there who have actually used it.

I'm going to to use Phae, but haven't done so yet, I could only advise on what I've already read .

Basically you're in the same boat as me with this one.

6. mudywater

mudywater Guest

dielctric grease is used to stop condensation from building up around your cpu chip when temps are close to freezing in the surrounding air, and it also seals off the chip so moisture doesnt get inside of it

7. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Hey Guys;

I'm new to overclocking and am looking for a good guide to OC'ing my cpu. Please, if anyone knows of a good [and up-to-date] guide for overclocking the new am2's. Please provide me a link so I can get a basis for learning how to OC. Thanx.

p.s. my comp. specs are in my sig.;)

8. mudywater

mudywater Guest

I alsmost forgot i need HELP!!! I just moved my computer with me to athens to go to college and when i left home i was using a dual monitor setup but i left my other monitor at home. My problem is that now I can no longer use my dvi out I can only use my VGA out. Every time i tell my monitor to switch to dvi it says its going into powersave mode. I think it may be because of my shitty ass geforce 7300 le. The first day i had it it did this same thing and i had to send it back to dell for another one. And now the second one is f***ing up. Is there any way I can force the computer to recognize dvi or am i going to have to get a new card.

9. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

.....So NOBODY has knows of a guide to help me overclock my AMD AM2 3200+///????.....

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sam if your underclocking your ram you should be able to tighten those timings, you shouldnt need to slacken them.

all the settings are disabled bar those i use, sata ports 1+2, ide primary, usb (not legacy, thats off) and the cpu thremal thingie is on too. thats it, if i dont need it ,its off.

for me to get to 1600 fsb i needed to drop the multi to 8 (only worked with x6 or x8 and i still cant work out why 7 or 9 nine failed) i had 2.178v ram, 1.47v cpu and auto for nb. the vdroop on my mobo took the cpuv down to 1.45/1.44v under prolonged heavy load (orthos) and if it dropped bellow 1.44v at 3.2ghz it would fail it.

sam i think you realy need to put the pro 7 blowwing over the power regulators at the rear of the cpu socket as it is these overheating that causes the vdroop.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not underclocking it, but for some reason the board gives the memory a speed slightly under the 800mhz rating when you overclock. In order to rotate my heatsink (which I do want to do, mainly to stop it exhausting all the hot air from my CPU and northbridge into the power supply) I will need to cut some of the fan guard off, which I haven't got round to doing yet, but the rest I will try.

13. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

DAMN DUDE!!lol;;; This is just what I was looking for thanx! [Now it's time to rreeaaaddd...loll....]

p;)
    Halen5150

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Halen5150,
    It's the best guide I've found so far. If you have questions, the answers are in there. I printed mine out and keep it handy!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. mudywater

mudywater Guest

well i know i sure do need help

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

To the other watercooling guys;

Any good USA sites for high end custom waterblocks for Intel LGA775? I'm working with an old Little River Cascade Waterblock SS that replaced an even older Dangerden RBX. It's been 3 yrs since testing. Whoe's making good commercial parts to compare with these? The RBX was cool if you can keep the flow over 2.75 cfm & if able to get a better inlet restrictor. What are your guy's input on this? Please share. I really like the tripple tube design of the DD RBX. Anybody using it still and have any comparible specs over the Jetted versions in medium cfm of 1.75 - 2?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mudywater,
    What I would try is to remove the vid cards software (add remove programs in the control panel) and the do a fresh install of the vid card software. It's obviously looking for the second monitor and not finding it, reverts to VGA analog.

Happy Computering,
    theone

18. peterttt

peterttt Regular member

Ive got 2GB of pc-4200 (default speed of 533MHz), i tryed setting the speed higher from within the bios, to be more precise 650MHz. It appeared to work, ive got a pentium d + aluminium heatsinks on the ram,so will the extra 117MHz oc work and is it safe ?
    The rams from crucial

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If that's all you've done it should be perfectly safe.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, I've started putting this E4300/P5N-E together. I modded the Northbridge heat sink. There was almost no thermal compound on eithr the chip or the heat sink. I'm installing the Intel cooer for now because I didn't see any sense in her shipping me the Freezer 7 and then my having to ship it back because I won't ship it attached. Besides Anandtech used the stock Intel cooler to get to 3.4 and I'm only hoping for 3.2 as I want a bit of headroom and the performance doesn't lag that far behind at that speed. Mabe if you are a gamer it does, but I think an 80% OC is plenty.

Tomorrow, I'll put the MB in the case and hook everything up and see what it does out of the box. Since this was a slightly used MB she bought which only saw a week of use because he wanted full 16x in SLI, so it may be set up for an E6300 to begin with as that's the CPU he was using in it. He said that the MB was a good overclocker so I guess we will find out!

Stay Tuned Kiddies,
    theone