1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the arctic cooling freezer 64 pro is good for £12 or the evo 33 for £17. not sure about your location or the availibility but they are wide spread in the uk.

just noticed socket a my bad.

try for a Gigabyte GH-PCU21-VG for about £20. thats about the highest spec blower i have seen for that socket.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As long as you use thermal paste separate from what comes with it (i.e. Arctic Silver V), the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent2l is pretty good. Even with cheap coolermaster thermal grease it kept my 3000+ 1.65V chip at 44C idle. With the stock stuff, it Idled at 62C, so don't use that.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You might consider having that MB replaced down the road, under warranty as 44C and 1.65V seems a bit extreme. Gina's was 10C or more cooler at the same speed using only 1.35V and a stock Intel cooler with the thermal compound that came on it doesn't get that high while encoding. Even running OCCT for 12 hours only got it to about 48-50C, and the MB never went over 37C or so. What's your fsb and multiplier set at?

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We're talking about a Socket A Processor here Russ. 75W of TDP (more than a Core 2 Duo) over a TINY heatspreader. Those badasses got hot.

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Another option for paste is Shin-EtsuMicrosi.
    Harder to work with than the others, but performance is superior.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's what happens when you stay up all night running on coffee! LOL!! How I missed the 3000+ I don't know. Yes those puppies got hot. I can't tell you how many of them I've repaired with the fan blade melted to the heat sink! They can take quite a bit of heat though as I've rarely had to replace the CPU, as they usually survived. Tough little booger-bears!

Russ

7. bb0x

bb0x Member

Could anyone explain me how I should/can overclock my e4300. Since I just found out that it could run at 3.0 - 3.6 ghz (its doing 1.8, stock).

I never Oc'ed before so any help is much apriciated! :)

PC specs.(I did not want to stretch the forums so a direct link. :) )
    Here are my specs in .gif format, since I am too lazy to type everything :).

Temperatures
    Here are my temperature readings after being up for about 10 hours. (Srry for posting too much info, if it is too much, but I just want to help you guys as good as I can, to help me out! :))

Thanx in advance!

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

bb0x,

we're going to need to know what mobo and memory you have, make and model's

9. bb0x

bb0x Member

the PC specs image should cover that?

Asus P5VD2-X
    chipset: VIA P4M890

Memory
    DDR2 1024MB

the link (PC specs.) in my previous post covers that all..i used CPU-Z and capture those screens

edit-
    PC specs. (mobo, CPU, memory, cache and SPD)

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

still don't know the make, speed, or cas latency of your memory. different brands of memory use different voltages and we also need the cas latency to set the timings. provide a link to the memory your using.

what do you want to OC it to?

11. bb0x

bb0x Member

its all in that picture lol... just scroll to the right...

edit- from 1.8 to 3.0 ghz

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sorry, didn't scroll over. who makes it?

13. bb0x

bb0x Member

who makes what? he memory?...how can i find out lol :p

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you apparently didn't buy the components and build the pc. are you using a video card? PCIe? are you using the stock cpu hsf? does the bios have the latest update? since you don't know who makes the ram just leave the voltage on auto.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bb0x,
    You just don't have a lot to work with in your setup. It's fine for stock speeds but the motherboard just doesn't support much in the way of overclocking. At 533MHz, neither does the memory. The memory is more dependent on what settings it can run at but the MB lacks most of the necessary adjustments needed for overclocking. The on-board video shares it's memory with the main memory and won't tolerate very much. The E4300 is a good overclocker but you would need a better MB to do anything exciting with. With a better MB like the P5N-E SLI and better memory you could easily hit 3.0GHz and up. I just did one for a friend and if you look up the page just a bit, the benchmarks are listed for it.

Happy Computering,
    theone

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I'm too lazy to look up the specs on his mobo but was trying to get some basic info before throwing out some settings. we both know the cpu freq needs to be 333mhz at 3.0ghz for that cpu but there are other settings that need to be addressed 1st like PCIe freq (if using a PCIe GPU), PCI clock, and vCore voltage. would be good to know exactly what the memory is to set it to the correct voltage too.

on top of what you mentioned, a good aftermarket cpu hsf is also recommended.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marty,
    The MB is the very low end $53 at newegg. It has sata but only 2 1.5s. It has a PCI-e x16 but that still won't free up all the memory as some is reserved for the on-board whether it's used or not. It's a limitation caused by the chipset, which is a Via! After seeing how cool Gina's runs with the Freezer 7 Pro and how cool it ran with the Intel cooler, I don't even think it will ever get hot enough to need a better one! It doesn't even have auto-OC (Ai) settings in the bios set-up. It certainly wasn't designed for overclocking!

My advice to bbOx is to keep the E4300 and sell the MB and memory and replace them with something he can work with, as it won't OC enough to matter. There's just nothing there to work with and the 533MHz memory doesn't help either. Not throwing rock but you can't make a V8 out of a 4! If he sells those things, he can't lose much as they didn't cost much to begin with. Like I said I went and checked it out and there's just next to nothing there to work with, what with the lack of adjustments in the set-up!

Russ

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

eye eye and I agree. you need good components if contemplating OC'ing. keep the 4300 and build from there. descent mobo and at least 2 x 512 DDR2 800 ram for starters.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Last time I looked, that combo was worth about 28,000 MIPS at 3.0 on Gina's! That's about 12,000 MIPS faster than my D-940!

My E4300 will be here Tuesday, and the rest will be ordered Monday. I'm ready. I'm going to keep this drive and just buy another Seagate 160 3.0 sata and put it in the D-940. I just put Kaspersky AV in it and I had to re-do everything because there was so much crap that I couldn't remove. Great AV program! It does it all! Spyware, Addware, Trojans and Viruses! Nothing gets by it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

28000 eh? I scored 26585 at the same frequency... Mind you which version of Sandra? We all know it makes a difference!